Replacing Pulley on Riding Lawn Mower

The drive pulley on my MTD riding lawn mower broke. I removed the bolt that holds it on. Do I have to have a "puller" to remove the pulley or just will power and a hammer?

R.Wilson from Emmett, ID

I wouldn't think twice. Slap a puller on it.

If you are going to be fixing things like this you really should have a set of three-jaw pullers.

I do most of my own repairs and I have an old tool box full of different pullers.

My set of three-jaw pullers is just one of those cheap sets from a tool sale.

The screw threads are not as fine as a more expensive set's would be. No big deal.

I just put a strain on it then smack the end of the screw with a hammer.

Works great.

A pulley "puller" is a good idea. Harbor-Freight in Spokane on Sprague and Sullivan has them.

Look for a product called, "Fluid Film" at hardware or farm store. It's based on lanolin/wool wax, and is the best stuff I've ever found for getting really difficult parts to release. Give it about 15 minutes to work after application, and you should have a lot better luck removing the part. A puller would be nice, but two pieces of hardwood will generally work, too.

i have a 1994 mtd 18 horse lawn tractor. it has a 6 speed control, it's stuck in the third speed and can't start the engine.

Riding Mower
Repairing a MTD Riding Mower
Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersSeptember 23, 2007
removing riding mower wheel
Removing a Wheel from a Riding Mower
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start