Filmy Glasses from Using Dishwasher Packets

Glasses filming up in your dishwasher using Electrosol packets with hard water? Change to Cascade.

I bought a new Whirlpool dishwasher because my glasses and china were filming up. A sample pack of Electrosol came from Whirlpool, so I assumed it was the best product to use. My dishes filmed up badly in the hard San Antonio water. I switched to Cascade and the problem cleared immediately and after two or three washings, my glassware and china were clear again. I learned two things from this experience: 1) Don't rely on manufacturers to know what's in your best interest; and 2) hard water doesn't work the same with all products.

By Charlie from San Antonio, TX

We live in an area that has extremely hard water. We put 3/4 cup white vinegar in the last rinse and glasses sparkle. There's no vinegar odor once the glasses and dishes have dried.

Actually, it may just be the dishwasher and/or water temperature. We splurged and bought a Bosch last year, and I used the remainder of my Cascade detergent, only to have filmy glasses and silverware. I switched to Electrosol tablets, and haven't had that problem again, even through the end of a drought (Dallas area).

I had my dishwasher repaired and the repairman told me that Dollar General Store brand and Cascade are the only two to use. All others create too much soap that makes glassware cloud up. I now only use the Dollar General Store brand....cheaper than the Cascade

In truth, I think its the water. I have best results with Electrosal with my hard well water here in PA. However, when I visit my daughter in VA, she has a milky white film on her glasses and silverware. She only puts detergent in the first wash as her 2nd detergent container doesnt work. But I have good results with breaking the tablet in half and putting half into each container. I tried it at her house and it worked there too.

We like Electrosol better too because its cheaper than Cascade.

Best of luck,

I echo the vinegar woman "Jeanne" above! I've gotten more film off of my dishes than I even knew was there!!! Now, the only difference is that I put 1 C. vinegar in the bottom of the dishwasher before I even start it. I know. It sounds nuts - but, for some reason, it works!! No spots, no film, no slime!!!

I use Cascade AND Jet Dry and still get the buildup. I am going to try the vinegar.

OK. I think I just figured this out, too much of a good thing. I couldn't get to the store, so I borrowed a jet dri basket from a neighbor. It wasn't working so I bought the liquid and left the basket in. I started to have milky, filmy glasses. Ok the moral of the story. If the manufacturer says use the liquid there is a reason. I took the basket out, bright, shiny glasses again.

I found what worked best in the north Texas area is Electrosal gel packs, not the compressed ones, but the liquid gel ones.

Home and Garden Cleaning DishesMarch 21, 2008
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
New Open Dishwasher
Saving Money on a Dishwasher
🎄
🍂