Kenmore Freezer Not Automatically Defrosting

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model# 596-73824200, with freezer on bottom. The back of freezer wall keeps frosting up and then the refrigerator won't quit running.

I have "defrosted" it a few times, but it keeps frosting up. Also, I have an icemaker that only works when it feels like it, it mostly works in the cooler weather, but not during the hotter months.

Has this and the freezer frosting up been a problem with this model or do I just have a lemon? What do I need to do the fix the freezer frosting problem? Like maybe a manufacturer's recall.

By Linda from Wheeling, WV

A couple of ideas that might help

1 check that the drain hole at the back inside the fridge is not blocked. Sometimes they povide a tool to do this but a toothpick or similar will do. Get all the gunge and gunk out so the water can drain away. Thts how it stays 'frost free'

2 unplug and pull the fridge out and then use your vacuum to get all the dust and dirt off the coil and the motor. Doing this also helps the fridge to run better anyway so will save you money too!

Unplug your fridge and take your vacuum hose and thoroughly vacuum underneath front and back, this should help a lot. My fridge does the same thing especially if you have pets. The fan sucks up dust and hair.

I also have a Kenmore with the freezer on top. It is supposedly self defrosting also, but freezes up and waterruns down into my refrigerator. I have had a repairman from Sears out 2 times at a cost of over &100 each time. Now I repair it my self by taking the panel off and chipping away at the build up of ice, thats what the repair man did each time. He never fixed the problem.

January 8, 2010 Flag

We have a 3 year old Kenmore French door refrigerator with a bottom freezer. The automatic defrost cycles don't do enough. The fan runs continuously when the doors are closed. After a few months the fan makes a racket and we must again defrost it manually. If we use the icemaker we must manually defrost more frequently. How can I fix this?

By Neil from Dallas, TX

Answers:

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Repair Appliances RefrigeratorJanuary 8, 2010
Kenmore Fridge
Kenmore Freezer Not Working
Defrosting Your Freezer
Defrosting Your Freezer
Kenmore Refrigerator
Kenmore Refrigerator Not Cooling
Kenmore Freezer Keeps Thawing and Refreezing
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 3:28:40 PM on 10.0.1.138 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.