PartiesHalloween

Voodoo on the Bayou Themed Party

Category Parties

I am planning a Voodoo on the Bayou - Romp in the Swamp party for my daughter's 12th birthday. Any ideas or suggestions would be welcomed. I am going to shy away from the evil aspect of Voodoo, and concentrate on things like "Love Potions", palm reading, etc...

Thanks!
Melissa from N. Calif.

You should have a friend or family member dress up as a psychic and give palm readings and crystal ball readings.... serve up foods like "Alligator on A Stick" (Chicken Kabobs), "Swamp Juice" (Lime Punch)... Let them make the Voo-Doo dolls of themselves with craft pieces... Lots of different ideas available for such a great theme...

I second the "swamp juice" but also, instead of ice cubes, make ice hands! Take a rubber or plastic glove, and fill with water, hang it in the freezer upside down and when you remove the glove, you will have a huge ice hand!

I am creating the same type of theme for our halloween party. I was thinking that Marie LaVeux the Voodoo Queen could make an appearance. Marie was the hairdresser for all of the uptown women so she would naturally know a great deal about all of the families which made her psychic advice particularly accurate. I was going to make gumbo. Ladies' fingers (chicken strips) use an almond colored with food coloring for the fingernail. Gypsies, pirates, french men and women, gamblers (men and women) would all be welcome. I am working on making one of the pillars of my porch into an old live oak with spanish moss hanging off it. When I lived in NO I was friends with the folks that ran the Voodoo museum. They made gris gris bags with red felt and put in various herbs and stones for love, good luck etc. These are just my first thoughts.