How to Grow Annuals

Does anyone have some general tips for growing annuals? I want to plant from seed. Should I start the seeds and grow seedlings first or just plop the seeds in the ground? Any tips for a beginning gardener would be great. I believe I have Begonias and something else.

Kathy in Idaho

Most annuals can be started indoors, however they usually need to be started in March in zones 3-5. After the ground warms, usually mid May, I plant the seeds in the ground if they are all summerbloomers. Marigolds, Petunias,and Stocks are good varieties to direct sow into your gardens. They will catch up to the rest of the plants soon enough. Pansies and Violas like early spring so buy a few plants and put them where they'll get a lot of am sun. Sow your other seeds around these and you'll have color all summer.

thank you I need all the help I can get for as I have no "green thumb" what so ever !!!!!

i'm a beginner too, I bought some marigolds and sweet basil and this is what I did-I bought some styrofoam cups at the dollar store and a bag of miracle grow potting soil. i put the soil in the cup first,about half full then I put a little bit of the seeds

in the potting soil and lightly covered it with a little more potting soil and lightly watered it and put the cups in direct sun-with days the sprouts were pushing up through th soil-I wouldn't suggest just putting them in the ground because some flowers have to be "harden' (I have no idea what that means) but that was mentioned on the package of seeds. That miracle grow really does work!! good luck.

Editor's Note: Hardening is putting them outside for a few days before you put them in the ground so they get used to the outside temperature.

Does this work for geraniums, too? Has anyone tried to grow sweet potato vine? Seems like I've seen this done before. I would like the lighter, bright green variety. Seems like they are much more difficult to find in garden stores by mid summer.

Photo of growing begonias.
Growing Annuals
Home and Garden Gardening AnnualsMay 3, 2007
Surfinia flowers
Overwintering Annuals
Sunflowers in the cold.
Protecting Annuals from Frost
petunia annuals
Fertilizing Annuals
Annuals for sale in a nursery.
Save Money on Annuals