Make Scale Graph of Room When Moving

To arrange furniture in a room, make a graph paper plan of the room dimensions. First, measure the room's walls in feet to get the accurate floor plan. Next, scale down each foot of wall space to 2 boxes on the paper and draw the outer dimensions of the room. Draw in openings of windows and doorways, fireplace, etc.

Get another piece of graph paper. Measure your furniture and draw each piece of furniture from a top view on the second piece of graph paper using the same 2 box per foot scale dimensions you used to draw the scale model of the room. Next, cut out each piece of furniture.

Now you can place the paper pieces of furniture in the drawing of the room moving the paper pieces around to figure out where you want to place each piece of furniture instead of physically moving the heavy pieces. You get to see how each piece will fit in the room for a pleasing arrangement this way, and you will be able to see where everything should go in the room and where it will fit in.

I used this when I moved from a house into a studio apartment. It worked out very well. I knew exactly what I could fit into the space and precisely where each piece should go so that the movers only had to place things where I told them to. Nothing had to be moved a second time or be rearranged. Worked out great.

By media123 from Springfield, MO

This is the only way I do it when I move! It is super easy to see what will fit and what won't. I built a home a number of years ago and I used this technique to help me fit furniture and also when I was planning the home so I knew how big or small the rooms should be. It's a great way to do things. I even do this when I plan a new garden or when I planned my flagstone patio and fire pit area a few years back. Thanks for thinking about sharing this great tip!

I know this seemingly simple idea will help a lot of folks - thumbs up! btw, if I ever have to move again, I'll try to remember to use your method.

Two Men Moving Sofa
Moving Furniture
Organizing MovingJanuary 7, 2011
Man and woman carrying a large couch
Moving a Large Couch Into Your House
Couple moving heavy cabinet
Moving Heavy Furniture
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
Homemade Postage Scale
Making a Homemade Postage Scale
🎉
🎄