DishesCleaning

Sanitizing a Wood Knife Handle

I bought a curved blade ulu knife on ebay, figuring it would help me to slice through a brick of cheese, having a large enough handle for two hands upon which to fit.

The wooden base looks like it has been exposed to years of bad weather in a basement. I don't want to introduce mold spores or other contaminants into the house. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Holly from Richardson, TX

I soaked it in clorox water, let it air dry, then coated the wooden handle and base in cooking oil. Threw the box into the trash immediately.

Anything else I could have done?

I read somewhere that wood has anti-bacterial properties. If it was in bad shape to begin with, I might have just boiled it or put it in the dishwasher, but I'm sure what you did took care of it.

The cooking oil can become rancid in time or perhaps harbor bacteria after a while. ? I'd be concerned about that. Always concerns me when it is recommended to oil a cutting board. Does it seal the wood thus preventing such contamination? Anybody know? Chefs out there.... reply.

DO NOT USE COOKING OIL--MINERAL OIL IS WHAT IS RECOMMENDED FOR WOODEN CUTTING BOARDS. I WOULD IMAGINE IT WOULD BE THE SAME FOR ANYTHING WOODEN USED IN THE KITCHEN