Rust on Stainless Steel Pot

One of my stainless steel pots has little rust stains from a leak I had in one of my cabinets. Does anyone know how to safely get them out?

Sara in FL

Showing: Answers Sort: Relevance

SOS SOAP PADS WILL REMOVE THE RUST.....SLB

Make a paste of baking soda and water (just a small amount). Spread it on the stain and then rub it with a small piece of aluminum foil.

Baking soda may work.........some time later.....................well seems to be doing the trick! just need to get the girl to have some patience.....hmmmm....more difficult than getting rust off a bit of metal...

well it owrked i guess coz there r no complaints so far!

cheers now made our drum kit saleable....

I have a 4-qt. electric ice cream maker by Richmond Cedar Works of Danville, Va. The company is no longer in business, no source of spare parts. My RCW maker is fully functional. Just noticed that where the sides of the mixing container meet the bottom, there is a slight crevice and along the edge of the crevice there are a few very small rust spots. The beater/churn scrapes the bottom closely so there's really no room to put foil over it. Two questions: (1) any way to get rid of rust in a crevice?

(2) anyone think continuing to use it is a health/safety problem?

Beth--Thank you SO MUCH for this tip! I had rust spots all over the stainless steel door of my dishwasher and was about to have a fit over it! I googled for a solution and found your suggestion right away. Thanks for sharing!

Thank you Beth from deep in the heart of Texas! We had some rust stains in our sink and my wife ask me to search the net and I found your comment. Worked like a charm! :D

You are a genius. Beth! Tried Beth's remedy on the front of my brushed steel fridge door - which had started to have rust spots. I was scared to use the foil (thought it would scratch the surface) but as long as you go with the grain it doesn't scratch and gets the rust off immediately - amazing! Thanks!

My stainless steel door of my brand new oven started to rust because of the humid weather. I tried the tooth brush method with baking soda however didn't work too well. Then I found Beth's, it works PERFECT! Even I rubbed the foil real hard on the door, it leaves no scratch. Thanks so much Beth!! =D

WOW! Thank you BETH! Worked like a charm! I thought my sink was ruined- but it now looks brand new! The paste with baking soda was perfect- rubbed with aluminum foil and immediately it was perfect again! Thanks! Leslie, GA

Thank you Beth! I read your helpful tip and I did it immediately and it worked. Now I can steam my daughters food!

Wow - THANK YOU! Was about to can some peach jam, and my pot had rust stains from the wire rack. A few minutes with the foil and baking soda, and rust no more! Thank you thank you! You saved me and my bag o' peaches!

I agree sos soap pads will remove the rust, but you risk the chance of scraching the pot. I found the best item on the market (you can buy at any discount store or grocery store) is barkeepers friend. The best way to use this product for this purpose is to sort of make a paste with it and it just takes the rust away. When I say make a paste, it is just this easy. I sprinkle the barkeepers on the rust and use a wet dish cloth and scrub. (or more like wipe). I use this stuff all the time. It takes the ugly rust stains off your showers, tubs, and counters that are made with your aerosole cans (hairspray can). I also use it in this manner to take off burned (black!) on food in my stainless steel pots. Works great! Becky

Hello,

I used the aluminum foil/baking soda on the inside of a tea pot. It got all but one little tiny spot of rust off, in a crevice that was hard to reach. Thanks for the tip!

Good job Beth! this is a winning combination. My door on my stove has been rusted for 3 years... finally someone knows some good household cleaners! Don't trust products that say they are safe for stainless steel... I found out the hard way that they're NOT! Now I'm cleaning EVERYTHING! My wife will be so HAPPY. Thanks, BETH!

Right on Beth! baking powder paste and foil -- perfect!

Thank you so much for rescuing my expensive stainless pot from the rust attack. The baking soda and water technique worked great.

If it's something you dont want scratched like a gun, you can use #OOOO stainless steel pads and WD-40.

Answer

A badly burned stainless steel pan
Cleaning Stainless Steel Cookware
Home and Garden Cleaning RustJanuary 8, 2005
paint can with red paint
Painting Stainless Steel
Stainless Steel Cookware
Switching to Stainless Steel Cookware
Cleaning a stainless steel dishwasher.
Cleaning Fingerprints Off Stainless Steel
Rusty bike leaning against a stone cottage wall.
Removing Rust from a Bike
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 24, 2016 at 4:12:19 PM on 10.0.1.196 in 340 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.