Gasoline in Van Carpet

I had a 2 gallon gas can unknowingly tip and spill contents in the back of our new Ford Van. 1st thing I did was PANIC. Then I soaked up all the gas that I could with rags and spread that green/piney smelly floor clean-up powder to absorb gas wetness in the carpet.

This turned the beige carpet green and my wife PANICKED. Vacuumed it up & scrubbed with Haggerty's Carpet cleaner, the green went. Bought a huge bag of kitty litter and covered the entire floor. Now we Pray and have a sleepless night. Any response or help would be appreciated. Thanks. Edgar from Canada

Best Answer

I spilled a 5 gallon gas can on the carpet in my living room of all places, thought me and the family were goners for sure from breathing in the fumes overnight! I finally dumped baking soda and arma nd hammer detergent obver the spill and voila!! immediate results! Will probably have to do this once or twice more but it made a definite difference immediately! I imagine sand would work too.

Best Answer

I had a gas can turn over in the back of my van. not a whole lot of gas but there was a whole lot of smell. I thought I would first try the baking soda routine. I sprinkled it heavily on the area, let it soak in, brush it some into the carpeting and vacuum it up the next day. Still heavy gas odor. Heard about using Lestoil because of its petroleum base. Scrubbed it into the area then rinsed it off a couple times. Now I have a Lestoil fragrance. It did cut the gas odor. I am still rinsing the area with soap and water, it is getting better

Best Answer

For the removal of petroleum odors I have used brake cleaner it will evaporate most petroleum based chemicals it gives off a bad odor that will pass in a very short time. It evaporates at very low temperatures but extremely good ventilation is a must. Spot test an area for color fast and degradation.

Best Answer

I loaded up a lawn mower on it's side thinking it was empty...wrong!!!

I put a disposable pampers diaper on it, opened up as wide as possible, absorbant side down, and put a heavy weight on it for a day. When I removed it, the diaper was full of the gas and the smell was gone! If yours is dry, you could re-wet it with water and the diaper will draw up the moisture-gas and all. Yours sounds like a much bigger spill than mine, so you would have to use many diapers, but it would be worth the cost of a bag of diapers to get rid of the smell!!! I guess you might have to repeat the process if it is really deep. I happened on this idea, because I always have extra diapers in my van, and it was the only absorbant material I had at the time!

Good Luck! Let me know if you try it, and if it works.

Melissa

melissasue1968 @yahoo.com (remove spaces to contact me)

This happened to my mother-in-law and she had to have all new carpet installed but her insurance company paid for it. I can't remember if it was her car insurance or homeowners' insurance. It doesn't hurt to find out.

Go to Canadian Tire or Napa and buy a bag of Sorb-All. Depending on your province, they may call it something slightly different. It is the active ingredient in Kitty Litter, and what the mechanics use to extract gas and oil spills from concrete. Throw a handful onto an old oil spill on your driveway, where your Harley dripped for twenty years, and sweep it up the next day. Stain is gone.

It is just as powerful on vehicle carpets.

Throw it on, and the next day vacuum it up. Stains and smells are gone.

Have FUN!

DearWebby