Removing Musty Odor from Paper

I have a lot of greeting cards I want to use for a craft project. The problem is they smell musty. Can anyone tell me how to rid cards of a musty smell? There are no stains, just a stinky smell. Thanks for any help given.

By Jan from Long Island, NY

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Air them out by hanging them on a string, as if you're making a miniature clothesline. If the weather allows you to put them outside, all the better.

Anytime you're packing something up for seasonal use, just add a bar of good-smelling soap to the plastic bag that you've secured the items in. For Christmas Cards, I like to use a bar of a soap that smells like pine, and for everything else, I use bars of original Tone soap.

If you didn't do that, try adding the cards to a plastic bag now, and pop in a couple of dryer sheets, (I prefer something with a lavender fragrance). That should do the trick. When packing up books of any kind, I always add a dryer sheet or two as well. Helps protect against mildew. I believe the same idea can be applied to anything paper.

Hope this helps you.

Pookarina

I would place them in a large Ziploc with one or two fabric softener sheets. Change the sheet after 24 hours and let that one go a day or two. It should be fine. I use this method for used books I buy that I don't notice the smell 'til I'm home.

You can try putting them in large brown grocery bag with crumpled newspaper or unused bbq charcoal light wrap charcoal in paper towels to keep neat and then seal brown bag and leave for a day or more and odor will be gone.

Answer

How do I get rid of musty smell in paper?

By Eddie from IL

Answers:

Removing Musty Odor from Paper

You need to be more specific of 'paper', newspapers, books? If in a box, you can place some charcoal briquettes in there for a few days [close the top please], do not use the type that contains 'self-starting' fluids. (07/30/2010)

By Cajun62234

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What can I do to get rid of the musty smell on old Valentines that were stored in a basement? I tried baking soda and cornstarch on them, but that didn't help. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsFebruary 9, 2011
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Musty Shoes
Cleaning Musty Odors From Shoes
Man in Green Shirt Smelling His Underarm
Preventing Underarm Odor
Washing Machine
Musty Smell in a Washing Machine
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 20, 2016 at 10:40:42 AM on 10.0.2.94 in 977 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.