Valentine's Day Wedding Favors
Getting married on Valentine's Day? Make these cute wedding favors and continue to spread the love.
Approximate Time: 15 minutes per favor, excluding the time waiting for the paint to dry.
- miniature heart made from grapevine twigs
For a possible supplier, see http://www.crafts4allseasons.co.uk/grapevine-twig-mini-hearts-1-pack-of-8-2811-p.asp.
- miniature terracotta clay pot, 1.2 inches high
See http://www.rainbowfloristsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/info_CT3025.html for a possible supplier.
- a 500g (17.6 ounces) bottle of silver-colored decorative glass sand
- a blue flat-back heart rhinestone
For a possible supplier, see http://www.dreamtimecreations.com/rhinestones-flat-back/flatback-heart-rhinestones/.
- quick-drying fine silver spray paint
- 1/8-inch wide blue silver edged organza ribbon
- pair of standard scissors
- quick-drying glue (or glue gun)
- bamboo kebab skewer
- few sheets of old newspaper to protect the working area
- Cut the skewer to a length of 3 inches.
- Glue the twig heart to the skewer, and let it dry thoroughly, before continuing to the next step.
- Spray the heart-and-skewer combination with the silver spray paint. Remember not to hold the can too close when spraying, and work in a well-ventilated area.
- Next, turn the miniature terracotta pot upside down on a sheet of newspaper and spray the whole outside of the pot with the silver spray paint.
- Leave both the heart-and-skewer combination and the pot to dry thoroughly.
- Turn the heart-and-skewer combination around, and spray the other side with the silver paint. Also, turn the pot around and spray the inside of the pot. Leave to dry thoroughly.
- Glue the rhinestone to the skewer, so that the rhinestone will be "framed" by the heart twig, and leave to dry thoroughly.
- Tie the ribbon around the skewer at the bottom of the heart and make a small bow.
- Add some glue to the bottom of the miniature pot, and while holding the heart-and-skewer combination upright in the pot, fill the pot with the glass sand.
Photo 1: Glue the twig heart to the skewer and let it dry thoroughly.
Photo 2: Spray the heart-and-skewer combination with the silver spray paint.
Photo 3: Spray the miniature terracotta pot inside and out with the spray paint.
Photo 4: Glue the rhinestone to the skewer, so that the rhinestone will be "framed" by the heart twig.
Photo 5: Tie the ribbon around the skewer at the bottom of the heart and make a small bow.
Photo 6: The completed wedding favor.
By BessieBessie from Pretoria, Gauteng
Add your voice to the conversation.