Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

We have a steam iron that we haven't used for about a year. Before putting it away, we emptied the water from the reservoir. Now we are trying to get it to steam, but it won't. Any tips for cleaning it? We have only used this iron a couple of times.

By Kathy from Columbus, OH

You might try vinegar to unclog the sprayer. Leave the hot iron on a while, then empty and rinse a couple of times. Good luck.

To remove stains, I use wax paper with salt rubbing the hot iron over it several times.

Sometimes the sprayer gets a calcified buildup; you might try either a needle or a thin, bent-straight paper clip to see if it clears it.

Vinegar water. Fill it up and let it sit steaming, fill again.

July 15, 2010 Flag

I have a steam iron, but its automatic steam function is not working and the water reservoir remains full.

By Sohana

Answers:

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

I clean mine with a mixture of white vinegar and water. If you're not producing steam at all, I'd use straight vinegar. Empty the water that's in it now and add the vinegar. Let it set to do its work. I lay mine in the sink on a cooling rack. It will probably take a couple doses. Hope this works for you. (05/20/2010)

By keeper60

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

keeper60 has the answer, I 'second' it. :) (05/22/2010)

By Cajun62234

May 20, 2010 Flag

My Rowenta steam iron doesn't produce steam. Also, I have a brown spot on the iron's faceplate.

Thanks.

By Bena from Atlanta, GA

Answers:

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

Your steam iron can be cleaned effectively with a mixture of white vinegar and water. Pour mixture into the iron and turn on the steam, and run your iron over an old cloth. The rust like particles will come out of the holes. When it's cleaned out, pour in water and do the same thing. Clean the bottom with some cleaner from kitchen. Good luck. (01/29/2010)

By kffrmw88

Iron Doesn't Produce Steam

Once you clean your iron with the vinegar and H2O, then be sure to only use bottled water in it to avoid the same problem. (02/03/2010)

By 2oldn2ys

Yellow and white clothing iron next to a pile of clothes.
Cleaning a Clothes Iron
Home and Garden Repair OtherJuly 15, 2010
Steam Iron
Removing Rust from Steam Iron
Cooking with cast iron pans.
Cooking With Cast Iron Pans
Steam Cleaner
Steam Cleaner Doesn't Release Steam
Steam Iron
Steam Iron Not Working
🎉
🎄