Cleaning Velvet Upholstery

Category Fabric
Velvet Chair
Care must be taken when cleaning upholstery with a nap, such as velvet. This is a guide about cleaning velvet upholstery.

I have a velvet wing back chair and white sofas, badly in need of cleaning. Stanley Steamer, among others, refuse to touch them for fear that they will yellow or spot. Someone mentioned that there is another process for cleaning these items. Is there a "dry cleaning" method? Can someone steer me in the right direction?

By G Blackman

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Please help. A new velvet couch + a 3 year old son = bad idea. I had no inkling that velvet could be such a nightmare, I would never have bought a velvet couch if I had known. I just tried to wipe off finger marks from sticky fingers with a damp micro fibre cloth, and it's ruined the velvet. I am so upset. This is how I clean my other couch, but it has left a very obvious patch of matted velvet. Please friends, how do I restore the look of the velvet? Thanks

By Maram from Kellyville, NSW

Answers

Anonymous

See the answer in the archive below.

Velour fabric is a texture like velvet. Velvet is used for clothing wear. Brushed nylon is used on furniture piece and has a more forgivable care tag. I use my carpet/furniture shampooer on it. This is a big machine. You need to back brush it (think if it as a furry dog). Check with the furniture store on product recommended. Also, there should be a scotchguarding done on this before leaving the store. There are also warranties on fabric wear for furniture. The furniture standards set are for the fabrics to have normal wear not O.M.G. now what do I do.

I recovered one couch/hide-a-bed with similar fabric. It has a backing on that is durable. I expect at least 20 years of use with it, kids, dog, etc. I just clean it. A dirty couch will wear out faster.

How do you clean luxury velvet upholstery?

Joyce from Kamuela, HI

Apparently you sprinkle bran over it, then brush it off after leaving it for a while. This is an old-days remedy.