Applesauce Cinnamon Christmas Ornaments

• 1 cup cinnamon
  • 1 Tbsp. ground cloves
  • 1 Tbsp. nutmeg
  • 1 Tbsp. allspice
  • 1 Tbsp. ginger
  • 3/4 cup applesauce

In medium bowl, combine cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ginger, and nutmeg. Add applesauce; stir to combine.

1. Work mixture with hands two to three minutes or until dough is smooth and ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
  2. Roll out dough into 1/4 inch thickness.
  3. Cut dough with cookie cutters. Using straw or pencil, make small hole in top of ornaments.
  4. Bake on an ungreased cookie sheet at 150 degrees F for 1 hour.
  5. Remove from the cookie sheet and bake on the oven racks for another 1 1/2 hours.

Use to decorate gifts, hang on tree, etc.

By Robin from Washington, IA

One of my very favorite ornament recipes! I loved using my really miniature cutters for these ornaments and also made small refrigerator magnets. They look and smell great. I have used the ornaments tied with embroidery floss on miniature Christmas trees that I "planted" in china demitasse cups. They store wonderfully. I just brought out one made at least 15 years ago and it is still in perfect condition.

December 11, 2010 Flag

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments
Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

These are extremely easy to make and the results are so cute and Christmasy!

Mix equal parts of applesauce and cinnamon. (1 cup applesauce/1 cup cinnamon) Mix until a soft and perhaps sticky dough is formed.

Roll the dough out or press with hands until it is approximately 1/4 inch thick. Using your favorite Christmas cookie cutters, cut out as many shapes as possible and place them on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. Use a straw to cut out holes in the ornaments.

Let your ornaments set in a dry place for 2-3 days until they are dry and hard. Caution: They will still be fragile, so you should be gentle with them. Cut ribbon to the lengths you want and tie through the holes in the ornaments.

Your ornaments can be used for your tree or tied to the top of Christmas gifts. The scent should last up to 3 years!

Here are some of the ornaments I made. I used 2 cups cinnamon and 2 cups applesauce and I ended up with about 33 ornaments. I also added some pumpkin pie spice and nutmeg to enhance the scent. Instead of ribbons I used crochet thread and chain stitched my "ribbons."

By Janellio from PA

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

Several years ago my friend and I made a lot of these. In order to strengthen them, we added a little bit of Elmer's glue. I don't remember how much we used but I do know that it was not a lot. Good Luck!! (12/14/2007)

By matjat

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I like those, they are simple and they smell nice, it's a can't-miss! (12/14/2007)

By kimhis

Festive Applesauce Cinnamon Ornaments

I made some of these this weekend. They are super easy and adorable! I love the idea of attaching them to gifts. (12/16/2007)

By Sherri

bell shaped cookie Christmas ornament
Making Cinnamon Applesauce Christmas Ornaments
Crafts Christmas OrnamentsDecember 11, 2010
Canning Applesauce
Canning Applesauce
A salt dough ornament on a Christmas tree.
Making Salt Dough Ornaments
Fabric Can Lid Ornaments Finished
Tin Can Christmas Ornaments