Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

There are many fun ways to make creative magnets. This guide is about homemade decorative magnets.

Animal Cracker Magnets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Make a nautical themed fridge magnet for a beach home and bring the seaside feel right into your kitchen. Use them as a fridge decoration that pops, or stick your child's drawings of your summer holiday to your fridge and create some special memories.

Approximate Time: one hour, including drying time

Yield: one fridge magnetfinished magnet

• hexagon-shaped natural wooden coaster
  • selection of small sea shells; sea stars and pieces of broken coral
  • 1.1 in 2mm thick plastic spacer
  • two small square craft magnets
  • powder blue acrylic paint
  • white paper raffia
  • red crochet thread
  • natural twisted jute twine
  • teaspoonful of sea sand
  • paintbrush
  • Super Glue
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
  • Heritage Spray-on contact glue
  • quick-drying matt spray varnish

1. Give the front and sides of the coaster an uneven wash with the powder blue paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
  2. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  3. Make the life buoy:
    a. Cut a piece of paper raffia and glue the one end to the back of the spacer. Twist the raffia tightly around the spacer and secure the second end at the back again.
    b. Add four red sections with the crochet thread. For the first one, cut a piece of red thread and twist the thread around the spacer five times. Pull the thread tight around the spacer and end it off with a knot at the back. Neatly cut off the loose ends of the thread. Repeat three more times, ensuring that the red parts of the buoy are evenly spaced.
  4. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  5. Super glue the two magnets to the back of the coaster and allow to dry thoroughly before turning the coaster over.
  6. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  7. Use hot glue to frame the coaster with the twine, and neatly cut off any protruding edges.
  8. Hot glue the life buoy and a few bigger shells in place.
  9. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  10. Add smaller shells and pieces of broken coral to complete the arrangement.
  11. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  12. Spray parts of the coaster with Heritage Spray-on contact glue and while the glue is still wet, sprinkle sand over the coaster. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  13. Spray the coaster with the spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish. Allow to dry and add a second coat. Allow to dry and whoo-hoo! Your nautical coaster is ready to be used!
  14. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This very big button has the perfect holes for threading through bright crochet thread and yarn for magnets.

Approximate Time: 20-30 Minutes

Yield: 1finished magnet

• 1 large button with 4 holes ($.50)
  • 1 darning needle ($0)
  • 5-6 yd crochet thread or yarn ($.25)
  • 1-2 magnets ($.15)
  • 1 hot glue gun ($0)
  • 1 scissors ($0)

1. With your button facing you, thread from the back of any of the four holes, spotting the thread to the back with just a dot of glue.
  2. Button Magnet
  3. Make 4 threads through, either cross or vertical. Cut the tail and glue it to the back in the center.
  4. Button Magnet
  5. Make a new spot of glue to attach the longer thread, work to the back and wrap 8 single threads around the hole to the edges and back in again. Don't double the thread to save time, it will twist. If your thread or yarn sags, spot glue it in the back to keep it taut. Finish up and glue the back thread to the back, then cover it all with a magnet. N-JOY!!

This tutorial teaches you how to make beautiful glittery glass magnets using a few materials and nail polish you probably have lying around your house.

Three of the finished magnets.

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and/or refridgerator magnets! They would make a cute gift too.

vintage tin fridge magnet

• old spice or baking tins
  • magnetic tape
Reusing Vintage Tins

Directions:

• Just add tape to the back of old spice tins from your cupboards for a cute vintage desk set or pencil/stamp container on your fridge.
  • CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Send a kiss to someone you love by way of these cute little critters. With just small pieces of felt and some magnets, your love will soon be on the way. They make a cute gift for any occasion.

Grinch and Snowman magnents

Silk flowers can easily be turned into cute magnets, perfect for using in a locker or on the fridge.

Flower Locker Magnets

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What to do with those advertising magnets; that is the question? Let the kids make holiday decorations for the refrigerator out of them; that is the answer!

Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

I got a free image on Pinterest of several shapes of thread spools.I thought it would be a cool idea to use up some old trim I found for .50 a box.

finished pin and magnets

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Give your fridge color with some cute magnets and let Uncle Sam bring in the 4th of July. With a few scrap supplies and glue or thread, you can whip these up in no time.

pink bunny magnet

Easy and affordable spring refrigerator magnet that holds a note pad or a cherished photo. A darling gift for children to make and give as gifts for Mother's Day or Grandparent's day.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This is what you really wish you could put on your office door.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• a mini clip board from craft shop
    • your choice of paint and brush
    • scrap paper
    • small felt tip marker
    • strong magnets at least 1/3 inch deep to clear the clip on back.
    • E6000 or hot glue gun

Instructions:

Paint your choice of color. Let dry. Write "complaint form" on the bottom, and cut some paper to fill in the clip.

Hot glue or E6000 a larger magnet to the back, as it has to clear the clip on the back.

It looks good on the fridge, but can be a real conversation starter for the file cabinet at work, too.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

A good use for those business cards that are attached to magnets. You can cut a photo to size and glue to magnet and place on your refrigerator.

By Kate from Gainesvile, FL

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars.

Decorative Gift Magnets

This tip should have been thought of at the beginning of the year but, oh well.

Don't throw away old theme calendars, some of them have thumbnails on the very back page that make perfect fridge magnets. Cut each thumbnail out individually and place on a magnetic sheet (the kind that you buy at the dollar store). If you place them close together you can get a lot of magnets out of one 5 x 7 inch magnet sheet. Great for someone who wants small gifts to enclose as tuck-ins

Source: me, I have done this for years, then I sell them at craft sales for $1 each.

By Leanne from Williams Lake, B.C.

I got the cutest magnets for Mother's Day! They are photos of my grandsons that my daughter turned into magnets using her printer and magnetic paper. However, I'm not about to put them on the fridge in the kitchen, because I'm afraid they'll be ruined if they get wet or grimy, if something gets splattered on them, etc.

These magnets are just paper with the photo printed in printer ink. I have barely touched them since I got them, but the edges are already fraying a bit just from touching them to move them!

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them so they are protected. I've thought about spray sealer for crafts, but am afraid it might make the ink run. I've also thought about laminate or clear shelf paper to seal it, but don't know if that would work well either.

Anybody have any experience on the best way to preserve these? Thanks!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My friend always prints pics on regular paper then just laminates them. They always turn out great too! I think you should try this as a liquid may ruin it. Good luck

Read More Answers...

These adorable ladybugs will bring you much joy when you put them on your refrigerator. Use simple supplies to craft these beautiful insects.

Magent

For the kid in all of us. Pick up a used Scrabble game at the thrift store and create a set of alphabet magnets to grace a fridge door!

tile magnets from scrabble pieces.

These joyfully smiling flower faced magnets are adorable in the kitchen, not to mention easy and fun for kids to create.

Flower face magnets.

You can buy a package of self-adhesive magnets at an office supply store. They are usually used for business cards. You can use these to make your own fun magnets.

My daughter created this cute little bunny magnet in no time. It would also be cute to wear as a pin. Simply glue a pin back to the back of the bunny's head instead of the magnetic strip.

Bunny magnet with pink pom pom nose.

I buy packages of metal fridge magnet frames at the euro shop and decoupage them. I cut out matching pictures from magazines to put into the frames to make them fancier. These make wonderful little gifts. I have also sold these at Xmas and Easter bazaars.

Photo frame fridge magnets.

For the prettiest magnets use vintage earrings or brooches. I cut off the pin back on the brooches and the clip-on part of the earrings. Attach a small magnet with E-6000. I first noticed this idea at a craft show. They were selling for $5.00 and up to $10.00 each.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Following the instructions in the booklet, I made the letters that spelled out each of my childrens' names. I glued googly eyes tiny pom pom noses onto each of them. Then I attached a magnet to the back of each one.

glue on eyes and nose

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Seasonal magnets made from paper and reminiscent of that favorite Christmas houseplant!

Back and front views of magnet.

I'm making magnets to hold a child's drawings, homework, etc. I would like to personalize each one with their name with a whimsical form of writing. Any ideas, tips, etc.?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I personalize craft items at craft shows using either a Sharpie pen or an acrylic paint pen. I have trouble writing in a straight line and making my letters a uniform size, so I use a whimsical method by tipping the letters and putting one letter up and the next one down. When I finish writing, I put dots on each letter.

Harlean from Arkansas

Read More Answers...
    Load More
    Crafts OtherApril 24, 2012
    Animal Cracker Magnets
    Homemade Kitchen Gift Ideas
    brown cow magnet
    Making Vintage Fridgie Diet Reminder Magnets
    Advertising Magnets
    Uses for Advertising Magnets
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 25, 2016 at 12:46:55 PM on 10.0.0.155 in 709 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.