Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Animal Cracker Magnets

There are many fun ways to make creative magnets. This guide is about homemade decorative magnets.

Solutions: Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Glittery Glass Magnets

This tutorial teaches you how to make beautiful glittery glass magnets using a few materials and nail polish you probably have lying around your house.

You can replace the epoxy with super glue, but I prefer the epoxy for its strength. Since the other supplies are usually sold in bulk, you can make dozens of magnets in a small amount of time. These make great gifts, but you'll want to keep a few for yourself!

Approximate Time: 30 minutes (not including drying times)

Yield: 20+Three of the finished magnets.

• 1 bag glass mosaic "globes" ($4)
  • 1 tube epoxy ($4)
  • 1 bottle glitter nail polish ($2)
  • 1 bottle solid color nail polish ($2)
  • 1 package magnets ($3)
Supplies for making magnets.

1. Paint the back of a glass globe with 2 to 3 coats of glittery nail polish, depending on how much glitter you want.Applying glitter polish.
  2. Paint over the glitter nail polish with 3 coats of solid colored nail polish. Let the nail polish completely harden.Applying solid color polish.
  3. Mix epoxy. Dab the magnet in the epoxy and attach it to the back of the globe. Attaching magnets.
  4. Let epoxy dry completely before use.
Finished magnets.

By

Tip: Recycling Magnets for Photos

A good use for those business cards that are attached to magnets. You can cut a photo to size and glue to magnet and place on your refrigerator.

By Kate from Gainesvile, FL

Spring Flower Photo or Note Magnet

Easy and affordable spring refrigerator magnet that holds a note pad or a cherished photo. A darling gift for children to make and give as gifts for Mother's Day or Grandparent's day.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Yield: 1 Notepad in clip.

• 1 strong straight piece of magnet
  • glue (or hot glue gun with stick)
  • 1 clip art flower picture or coloring picture
  • 1 stem clip art
  • markers
  • 1 pair scissors
  • 1 clothespin
  • ruler or straight edged item
  • white or green paper for stem

1. Glue the magnet on the back of the clothespin. Gluing magnetic strip to clothes pin.
  2. Color the clothespin with the markers.Coloring clothes pin.
  3. Make a stem by measuring the clothespin and using a ruler or straight edged object to make lines. Cut out stem and color if necessary. Drawing stem.
  4. Color and cut out the flower and leaves. Colored flower and leaves.
  5. Then glue the stem to the bottom edge of the clothespin with the clip part pointing towards you.
  6. Now glue on the flower and the leaves so one is on each side of the stem. Allow to dry. Finished flower magent.
  7. Put note paper or photo into clip end of finished flower magnet. Enjoy or give as a gift.

By

Tip: Making Decorative Magnets

This tip should have been thought of at the beginning of the year but, oh well.

Don't throw away old theme calendars, some of them have thumbnails on the very back page that make perfect fridge magnets. Cut each thumbnail out individually and place on a magnetic sheet (the kind that you buy at the dollar store). If you place them close together you can get a lot of magnets out of one 5 x 7 inch magnet sheet. Great for someone who wants small gifts to enclose as tuck-ins

Source: me, I have done this for years, then I sell them at craft sales for $1 each.

By Leanne from Williams Lake, B.C.

Craft Project: Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

Seasonal Refrigerator MagnetsWhat to do with those advertising magnets; that is the question? Let the kids make holiday decorations for the refrigerator out of them; that is the answer!

Approximate Time: 10 minutes

• advertising magnets or thin sheet of magnet
  • fabric or cardstock for holiday decor
  • tacky glue
  • fusible web or spray glue
  • heavy scissors
  • iron
  • seed beads
  • glitter
  • yarn
  • cardboard for pattern
  • pencil
  • patterns or draw your own

Instructions:

1. Either draw your patterns (you could print out the photo for my patterns): Easter eggs, shamrocks, elf hats, pot of gold, fire crackers, Uncle Sam hat, turkey, pumpkin, fall leaves, jack-o-lantern, black cat, ghosts, you get the idea. Anything will work just make sure you have the fabric or cardstock to match the character.

Perhaps you want to put a child's face on a magnet. No matter what shape you are making the directions from here on out are the same.

2. You can use spray adhesive instead of fusible web, it works wonderfully and no one will get burned. It is a little messy, but if you lay paper out and spray the sheet of magnet, apply fabric, let it dry and then cut out your shape it isn't bad. You will then trace your pattern on your magnet with ink and cut inside your line.

3. Cut out his or her face, or what ever shape you are working with. Trace it onto the fusible web and cut it out leaving about 1/4 inch around the pattern. Fuse this to the wrong side of your fabric; cut out on the lines. Now peel the paper off and fuse to a magnet. Be careful if your magnet has writing on it, place paper towel between your iron and the magnet. Remember it doesn't take, but a few seconds to fuse the web. After you get it all fused together, cut out the shape and you are ready to decorate.

4. Using your tacky glue draw lines and apply your beads, yarn, glitter, or whatever. If you use glitter you will want to seal it after it is dry with a couple of coats of thinned tacky glue or it will continue to shed. Use fabric pens, but be sure to test them of fabric before using on your magnets some pens spread and you don't want to ruin your child's work.

Note: Don't glue on large beads or rocks as the magnets aren't strong enough to hold them.

Make a set for each holiday and you can change them with the seasons.

By Ann from Loup City, NE

Tip: Earring or Brooch Magnets

For the prettiest magnets use vintage earrings or brooches. I cut off the pin back on the brooches and the clip-on part of the earrings. Attach a small magnet with E-6000. I first noticed this idea at a craft show. They were selling for $5.00 and up to $10.00 each.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

Tip: Complaint Form Magnet

This is what you really wish you could put on your office door.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• a mini clip board from craft shop
  • your choice of paint and brush
  • scrap paper
  • small felt tip marker
  • strong magnets at least 1/3 inch deep to clear the clip on back.
  • E6000 or hot glue gun

Instructions:

Paint your choice of color. Let dry. Write "complaint form" on the bottom, and cut some paper to fill in the clip.

Hot glue or E6000 a larger magnet to the back, as it has to clear the clip on the back.

It looks good on the fridge, but can be a real conversation starter for the file cabinet at work, too.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

Shake-A-Leg Magnets

Give your fridge color with some cute magnets and let Uncle Sam bring in the 4th of July. With a few scrap supplies and glue or thread, you can whip these up in no time. pink bunny magnet

Approximate Time: 1 hr.

• wiggle eyes
  • foam - refer to pictures
  • felt - refer to pictures
  • beads - assorted colors
  • pipe cleaners - refer to pictures
  • string or yarn
  • buttons
  • feathers
  • 1/2 Popsicle stick or emery board - optional
  • glue or thread and needle
  • pom-poms

Instructions:

The bodies on all are assembled in the same way. I chose to glue a half of an emery board or Popsicle stick inside the 2 body parts to make them more firm. This is optional. I hand sewed my pieces together, but you can glue them instead. After body pieces are together, just punch holes at bottom and tie string on for legs. Thread your beads on or sew on pom poms. Punch a hole in each shoe and tie on to end of string. Refer to pictures for placement of pieces. When done, glue magnet on back. template for magnets

TIPS:

Uncle Sam: If using pipe cleaners, curl around pencil and sandwich ends in between body parts before sewing or gluing. For mustache, roll a small piece of stuffing and tie in center with thread. Glue on face. Uncle Sam magnet

Bunny: Cut ears from felt and bend a piece of pipe cleaner into a "V" to fit inside. Sew closed and sandwich in between body parts. This will allow you to bend ears, if desired. pink bunny magnet

Chicken: Sandwich feathers in between body parts before sewing or gluing. yellow chick magnet with feathers

Lamb: Pom poms are glued on. white pom pom lamb magnet with red bow on head

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Mouse Refrigerator Magnet

Mouse Refrigerator MagnetRefrigerator magnet featuring mouse on piece of cheese.

Approximate Time: About 20 minutes

• piece of yellow or orange sponge (2x3x1 inch) for cheese
  • half a walnut shell for mouse body
  • scrap of brown felt for ears
  • rubber band for tail
  • tiny black bead for nose
  • two purchased eyes
  • magnet strip, about 1 inch square
  • scissors
  • glue gun

Instructions:

1. Cut sponge into wedge about 2 inches at widest end and about 3 inches long by 1 inch deep.
  2. Glue eyes to pointed end of walnut shell.
  3. Cut scraps of felt for ears. To make ears stand up, pinch together at square end and glue. Glue ears onto shell just behind eyes.
  4. Cut rubber band in half. Glue mouse to cheese, attach rubber band tail.
  5. Glue black bead right at the tip of the nose.
  6. Glue a magnet strip along one side of cheese and stick to fridge. EEK!
  7. By preserver from Manitoba

Bumble Bee Magnet

Bumble bee magnet.This cute bumble bee magnet is sure to be all the "buzz" hanging on your refrigerator.

Approximate Time:

• plastic spoons
  • plaster of Paris
  • round magnets
  • yellow and black paint
  • paint brush
  • yellow and black craft foam
  • googly eyes
  • glue
  • black pipe cleaner

Instructions:

1. Set up the spoons so they lie flat and will hold the plaster when poured in to mold. I used rolled up newspaper taped to the bottom of a cardboard box, but you could also use a small book, play dough, etc. Use as many spoons as bees you would like to make.
  2. Mix the plaster of Paris according to the directions on the box. Pour the mix into each of the plastic spoons.
  3. Place a round magnet into each spoon of plaster and allow to dry. I let mine dry overnight.
  4. Remove mold from spoon and paint entire front yellow. Allow to dry, then add black stripes.
  5. Cut out wings from the yellow craft foam and glue to the sides of the bee. I used hot glue, but other glue may work as well.
  6. Cut out a head from the black craft foam and glue to the top of the bee.
  7. Glue on googly eyes and black pipe cleaner antennas. Allow all to dry.
  8. Proudly hang on your refrigerator for everyone to buzz about!

By Jayme from Harrisonburg, VA

Plastic Canvas Letter Magnets

Following the instructions in the booklet, I made the letters that spelled out each of my childrens' names. I glued googly eyes tiny pom pom noses onto each of them. Then I attached a magnet to the back of each one.

glue on eyes and nose glue on magnet plastic canvas letters

NOTE: Although I used a booklet, you could easily design your own letters. I have actually lost the booklet, so that is my plan for any future ones that I make. :)

SOURCE: Leisure Arts Leaflet 1416: Magnets a to z in Plastic Canvas

By

Tip: Craft: Foam Art Magnets

My daughter made these little foam art magnets for her dad on Father's Day. You could use these for any season or occasion. She cut out shapes and put adhesive backed magnetic stripping on the back. Foam star with Back of foam magnet showing adhesive magnet strip

She also made a bookmark out of the foam and colored it with markers, put string with beads on it. They are adorable!

Foam Book Mark that says

After she made these items, she inserted them into a card she made out of construction paper and put a mint candy on the card. Sweet!

Handmade Father's Day card made by child

By Robyn Fed from Tri-Cities, TN

Craft: Decorative Gift Magnets

Decorative Gift Magnets

Decorative Gift Magnets

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars. I simply use Dollar Tree sealing tape, the 2 inch wide kind. I then cut a piece of cardboard the same size at the photo, and cover the photo with enough tape to wrap around the back, securing it to the cardboard. Then, using hot glue or tacky glue, I put a flat magnet on the back.

Note: Flat magnets come in all shapes, but mostly they are strips. Stay away from the rolled kind, as they are hard to flatten out. I get the discs when I can, as they are stronger. You can often find both at the dollar trees', but if you get the strips, make sure to test them on the metal first. Some have a small groove down the middle of the magnet, and that either indicates the strong or the weak side. The ones I use are weaker on that side, so I just remember "when in doubt, the groove is out" and then I don't forget.

During the seasons, DT's often have little "fimo style" plastic ornaments that are flat and make perfect pins or magnets. Other ideas for magnets are:

• Fancy Buttons
  • Small Frames
  • Thimbles
  • Miniatures like dishes, pots and pans or mirrors from doll houses
  • Little critters like teddies and bunnies
  • Old costume jewelry
  • Legos or small toys
  • Dice or Game pieces
  • Mini salt and pepper sets
The list is limited only by your imagination!

You will need:

• The magnets of your choice
  • Tacky glue or
  • E600 glue (recommended if the magnet is heavy or slick plastic)
  • Tape and scissors, (if it's paper and cardboard)
Most of the things that are mentioned can also be used to make pins. Just make sure that the pin back is not only stuck to the item, but covered with glue, as well. Hot glue works fine with porous things, but stronger glue needs to be used for slick surfaces.

Have Fun!!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

Poinsettia Magnets

Back and front views of magnet.Seasonal magnets made from paper and reminiscent of that favorite Christmas houseplant!

Materials and Equipment:

• a large plastic bag or several sheets of newspaper
  • a sheet of red construction or cardstock paper, standard size
  • a sheet of green construction or cardstock paper, standard size
  • a sheet of plain paper, standard size
  • three small yellow beads
  • one small magnet (I use rare earth magnets as they are very strong and hold items onto the fridge tightly)
  • scissors
  • craft glue
  • glue spreader or Q-tip
  • a lid from a used plastic container (such as a yogurt container)
  • a pencil
  • an eraser

Instructions:

1. Before starting, clear the table and cover it with newspaper or a large garbage bag to avoid getting glue on the table.
  2. Using the photos as a guide, trace out a five-point star on a plain sheet of paper with a pencil. The star should be about four inches in diameter. Each point on the star should be curved in the shape of a leaf. Once you are happy with your design, cut it out. It will be used as a template to create your poinsettia.
  3. Place your template on the green construction or cardstock paper and trace its outline in pencil. Cut along the outline. Erase any pencils lines that are still visible and set this form aside.
  4. Repeat step three. You should now have two identical green stars.
  5. Repeat step three again with the red construction paper, only this time, once you have cut out the shape, cut around the perimeter again, making the star shape slightly smaller than the previous one. If your green stars are about four inches in diameter, this red one should be three inches in diameter.
  6. Repeat step three again with the red construction paper. Again, once you have cut out the shape, cut around the perimeter, making the star shape slightly smaller than the previous red one, about two inches in diameter.
  7. Take each one of your star forms and bend each point or leaf in half, then open each leaf again. They should now all have a slight bend and no longer look completely flat.
  8. Pour a small puddle of craft glue onto the plastic container lid. Spread a thin layer of glue onto the center of the back of one of the green stars. Place this green star on top of the other green star so that the leaves or points are staggered and not overlapping (see photo). The creased side of the stars should be facing upwards (see photo). Press the star with the glue on the back on top of the other green star. Hold until stuck.
  9. Spread glue on the back of the larger red star and press onto the front of the uppermost green star. The red star should be oriented so that its points fall between those of the green star and don't overlap.
  10. Spread glue on the back of the smaller red star and press it onto the front of the larger red star. The red star should be oriented so that its points fall between those of the other red star and don't overlap.
  11. You should now have four staggered stars (two green and two red) glued on top of each other. Next, glue your three yellow beads onto the center of the uppermost star to act as stamens for your poinsettia.
  12. Spread glue on the back of the magnet and press it onto the back of your poinsettia. Allow to dry completely.
  13. Make a few more magnets and decorate you fridge with these cheerful Christmas flowers.
  14. By Christine Weber

Tip: Caterpillar Magnets

A quick and easy craft, great for school stalls:

You will need:

• eucalyptus leaves
  • 'fridge magnets (many businesses give them away, but you can, if REALLY stumped, actually buy them)
  • tiny, sparkly craft pom-poms
  • top quality contact adhesive
  • craft eyes

Instructions:

1. Glue a strip of magnet on to the leaf first. Let it dry.
  2. On the other side, glue a crooked, but touching, line of alternating colour pompoms (you can see why they have to be little!).
  3. On the end one, place two of the wiggly eyes.
  4. If you are really clever, you may work out a way to get an indentation mark on the leaf, as though your new caterpillar has been eating!

By Leonie from Warrnambool, Victoria, Australia

Tip: Photo Refrigerator Magnets - New Use for Advertising Magnets

I was doing a good cleaning on my refrigerator door and noticed most of my fridge magnets were advertisements. So, I went to my folder where I store pretty pictures, got out my glue stick, cut down a picture to slightly larger then magnet, and glued on a picture. I let it dry, then trimmed. Could be some great last minute gifts!

By Jeanne

Tip: Making Decorative Magnets

You can buy a package of self-adhesive magnets at an office supply store. They are usually used for business cards. You can use these to make your own fun magnets.

Find pretty little pictures, plaques, sayings, etc. in magazines and catalogs, carefully cut them out, cut the magnet to size, and stick your picture onto the magnet. Very simple!

I recently found a set of 6 plaques in a catalog, made a little set of magnets from them, and used them to decorate the front of a cabinet. It looks like they are painted on, very chic.

Also these make nice little gifts to tuck into a letter to a friend, to cheer someone up or make them laugh.

By Jayne

Tip: Clothes Pin Refrigerator Magnets

If you need more frig magnets to hang the kids' pictures and stuff, here is a cheap and easy way to make them. Buy a cheap bag of the wooden clip style clothes pins and magnet strips you buy at the craft store. Have the kids use markers and color them.

All you do it glue the magnet to one side, you can also glue something to the front, let dry and you have homemade magnets to use for everything you hang on the frig. And the kids have a blast!

By Kay

Cute Bunny Magnet

Bunny magnet with pink pom pom nose.My daughter created this cute little bunny magnet in no time. It would also be cute to wear as a pin. Simply glue a pin back to the back of the bunny's head instead of the magnetic strip.

Approximate Time: Less than 30 minutes

• white craft foam
  • pink craft foam
  • wiggly eyes
  • small pink pom pom
  • black marker
  • piece of magnetic strip
  • craft glue

Instructions:

1. Cut a 2-inch circle and 2 ears from the white craft foam.
  2. Cut 2 inner ears from the pink foam.
  3. Glue the inner ears to the white ears, then glue both ears to the head.
  4. Glue on wiggly eyes and a pom pom nose.
  5. ,li> Draw on a cute mouth.

6. Glue a piece of magnetic strip to the back.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

Happy Flower Face Magnets

Flower face magnets.These joyfully smiling flower faced magnets are adorable in the kitchen, not to mention easy and fun for kids to create.

Approximate Time 10 minutes without drying time

• 1 and 1/2 inch blue foam circle
  • 1/2 inch pink foam circle
  • 1/4 inch big pair of googly eyes
  • 9-12 inch orange chenille stem
  • 9-12 inch violet chenille stem
  • small fridge magnet
  • child-safe glue

Instructions:

These instructions are for one magnet and one child. Multiply supplies according to children participating.  Parts.
  1. Have child glue two googly eyes on the large blue circle.
  2. Cut the pink circle in half, and glue one part below the eyes to create a mouth.
  3. Let dry before continuing, or the child may become frustrated by the eyes and mouth sliding all over the blue face.
  4. While the face is drying, have child cut 3 pieces from orange chenille stem, each three inches long. Repeat with violet stem. If child is young, have an adult do the cutting.
  5. Have child loop each piece around, twisting the very bottom together. This creates the petals.
  6. Now let child glue the petals to the back of the blue circle, spreading them evenly and interchanging the colors.
  7. Glue the magnet where all the stems meet at the back of the circle. Let dry.
  8. Let child place the magnet on the fridge and enjoy their cute artwork!

By Aysha from Boise, ID

Tip: Juice Can Lid Christmas Magnets

Juice Can Lid Christmas MagnetsCute, quick and frugal gifts or decorations!

The magnets are used canning jar lids and smaller ones are from frozen OJ concentrate can ends. Base coat white or brown and paint faces. I used blush for the cheeks and had some wood plugs I used for the noses. For the gingers, I used fabric yoyos or strips of fabric tied into bows, hot glued onto the heads. The snow men I used pipe cleaners and little pom poms for ear muffs and a sock cut into 2 inch sections, sewn across one end, to make little hats and hot glued on.

The ginger and snow balls are from old softballs, base coated and glued onto canning jar rings. The snowball hats are from socks, cut into about 4 inch pieces, sewn across the end. I then took white "scribble" dimensional paint and did the "frosting" lines on the ginger and snowflakes on the snowballs hats. Had everything on hand!

I've sold a bunch of the ginger and snow balls for $7.50 each and the magnets for $2.50. I've "gifted" many of them already this season! I get the softballs from my son and DIL, who play on a softball team :0) Sometimes I find them at thrift stores for about $.50 each. Have fun!

By Maggie from Bloomington, MN

Tip: Decoupaging Fridge Magnets

Photo frame fridge magnets.I buy packages of metal fridge magnet frames at the euro shop and decoupage them. I cut out matching pictures from magazines to put into the frames to make them fancier. These make wonderful little gifts. I have also sold these at Xmas and Easter bazaars.

By Lisa from Thessaloniki, Greece

Tip: Create Your Own Magnets

Have you ever bought a pretty and decorative magnet at a store? The prices on these can be pretty outrageous. I keep a package of 10 or 12 ct. regular round magnets, that I purchased at a craft store, inexpensively, on hand, at all times. Whenever you come across something that catches your eye, glue it to a magnet (or 2) and embellish as you choose. These you can keep for yourself, or give as gifts. No one will ever know you didn't pay lots of hard earned money for it.

By Terri H. from NV

Tip: Making Photo Magnets

Ever end up with too many business magnets (such as pizza) for the fridge? These are often paper-glued on top of a really nice magnetic sheet, and the perfect size for your own "make your own" magnet! Simply peel back between the sheet and the magnet. Usually there's enough adhesive left that you don't even need glue. Something I did once was measure/cut a photo first, then peeled off the business card, and stuck the photo to the magnet. It looked really nice, and was a pleasurable display on our fridge.

By Jen from Rock Hill, SC

Tip: Scrabble Tile Alphabet Magnets

tile magnets from scrabble pieces.For the kid in all of us. Pick up a used Scrabble game at the thrift store and create a set of alphabet magnets to grace a fridge door!

Materials and Equipment:

• a used Scrabble game
  • magnets, smaller than a Scrabble tile, one for each tile (I prefer rare earth magnets as they are very strong and hold things tightly to the fridge)
  • craft glue or super glue
  • glue spreader or Q-tip

Instructions:

2. Lay all your Scrabble tiles face down in front of you. Pour a small puddle of glue onto the plastic container lid. Spread a coat of glue on the back of a magnet and firmly press it against the back of a Scrabble tile. Hold until you can feel the magnet is starting to stick.
  3. Place aside to dry. I find craft glue works fine for this craft, but if your magnets are not sticking properly, you may need to try Super glue.
  4. Repeat step two for all your Scrabble tiles.
  5. Once all your tiles are completely dry, place them in a box and give to any of the 'kids' on your Christmas list, young or old. If the original game box is still in good shape, fill it with some tissue paper and set the tiles inside for a truly unique presentation.

By Christine Weber

Tip: Making Your Own Magnets

Make your own magnets with cute sayings or whatever, then laminate them in small laminating machine. It was rather cheap at a craft store on sale. Then use old magnetic business card magnets that we all get. Trace the magnet on the back of your laminated piece and put contact cement on the printed side of magnet and then on the laminated side and stick it together.

Makes a nice gift and looks professional.

By Syd

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Homemade Refrigerator Magnets.

Question: Personalizing Gift Magnets

I'm making magnets to hold a child's drawings, homework, etc. I would like to personalize each one with their name with a whimsical form of writing. Any ideas, tips, etc.?

By Karen

Most Recent Answer

By Harlean from Arkansas12/07/2011

I personalize craft items at craft shows using either a Sharpie pen or an acrylic paint pen. I have trouble writing in a straight line and making my letters a uniform size, so I use a whimsical method by tipping the letters and putting one letter up and the next one down. When I finish writing, I put dots on each letter.
Harlean from Arkansas

RE: Personalizing Gift Magnets

Question: Sealing Home-printed Photo Magnets

I got the cutest magnets for Mother's Day! They are photos of my grandsons that my daughter turned into magnets using her printer and magnetic paper. However, I'm not about to put them on the fridge in the kitchen, because I'm afraid they'll be ruined if they get wet or grimy, if something gets splattered on them, etc.

These magnets are just paper with the photo printed in printer ink. I have barely touched them since I got them, but the edges are already fraying a bit just from touching them to move them!

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them so they are protected. I've thought about spray sealer for crafts, but am afraid it might make the ink run. I've also thought about laminate or clear shelf paper to seal it, but don't know if that would work well either.

Anybody have any experience on the best way to preserve these? Thanks!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

Most Recent Answer

By terrijeanjacobo06/25/2012

My friend always prints pics on regular paper then just laminates them. They always turn out great too! I think you should try this as a liquid may ruin it. Good luck

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Recycling Magnets for Photos

My daughter recycles my refrigerator magnets! She takes one of my magnets I've picked up from a local business and uses a gluestick to attach family pictures, etc.! She uses magnets that are from stores that have closed, magnets from businesses we used to frequent before we moved, and magnets with school calendars from previous school years. It's a great way to recycle and I have beautiful pictures of family members and furkids to look at instead of businesses I no longer use!

By GrammySheila from Titusville, Florida

Archive: Recycling Magnets for Photos

All those business card and advertising magnets you get from realtors, pizza restaurants, etc, don't throw them away; just glue your precious photos or artwork on them and make cute fridge magnets. Great way to recycle, I just received an American Express credit card magnet today and a pizza restaurant last week. Saves me $ and helps the Earth!

By Tracey from Thomasville, GA

RE: Recycling Magnets for Photos

I use the business magnets for the backing of kids stickers to make refrigerator magnets out of them. After pasting them on the magnet and cutting them out, I seal them with modge podge. I also use the animal pics from my vet catalogs. We're great animal lovers. (01/31/2008)

By javajano

RE: Recycling Magnets for Photos

Great recycling tip. Love it. (02/01/2008)

By Christine IN