Browsing: Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

There are many fun ways to make creative magnets. This guide is about homemade decorative magnets.

Animal Cracker Magnets
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

May 18, 2015 Flag

Make a nautical themed fridge magnet for a beach home and bring the seaside feel right into your kitchen. Use them as a fridge decoration that pops, or stick your child's drawings of your summer holiday to your fridge and create some special memories.

Approximate Time: one hour, including drying time

Yield: one fridge magnetfinished magnet

• hexagon-shaped natural wooden coaster
  • selection of small sea shells; sea stars and pieces of broken coral
  • 1.1 in 2mm thick plastic spacer
  • two small square craft magnets
  • powder blue acrylic paint
  • white paper raffia
  • red crochet thread
  • natural twisted jute twine
  • teaspoonful of sea sand
  • paintbrush
  • Super Glue
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
  • Heritage Spray-on contact glue
  • quick-drying matt spray varnish

1. Give the front and sides of the coaster an uneven wash with the powder blue paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
  2. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  3. Make the life buoy:
    a. Cut a piece of paper raffia and glue the one end to the back of the spacer. Twist the raffia tightly around the spacer and secure the second end at the back again.
    b. Add four red sections with the crochet thread. For the first one, cut a piece of red thread and twist the thread around the spacer five times. Pull the thread tight around the spacer and end it off with a knot at the back. Neatly cut off the loose ends of the thread. Repeat three more times, ensuring that the red parts of the buoy are evenly spaced.
  4. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  5. Super glue the two magnets to the back of the coaster and allow to dry thoroughly before turning the coaster over.
  6. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  7. Use hot glue to frame the coaster with the twine, and neatly cut off any protruding edges.
  8. Hot glue the life buoy and a few bigger shells in place.
  9. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  10. Add smaller shells and pieces of broken coral to complete the arrangement.
  11. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  12. Spray parts of the coaster with Heritage Spray-on contact glue and while the glue is still wet, sprinkle sand over the coaster. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  13. Spray the coaster with the spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish. Allow to dry and add a second coat. Allow to dry and whoo-hoo! Your nautical coaster is ready to be used!
  14. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 1, 2015 Flag

This very big button has the perfect holes for threading through bright crochet thread and yarn for magnets.

Approximate Time: 20-30 Minutes

Yield: 1finished magnet

• 1 large button with 4 holes ($.50)
  • 1 darning needle ($0)
  • 5-6 yd crochet thread or yarn ($.25)
  • 1-2 magnets ($.15)
  • 1 hot glue gun ($0)
  • 1 scissors ($0)

1. With your button facing you, thread from the back of any of the four holes, spotting the thread to the back with just a dot of glue.
  2. Button Magnet
  3. Make 4 threads through, either cross or vertical. Cut the tail and glue it to the back in the center.
  4. Button Magnet
  5. Make a new spot of glue to attach the longer thread, work to the back and wrap 8 single threads around the hole to the edges and back in again. Don't double the thread to save time, it will twist. If your thread or yarn sags, spot glue it in the back to keep it taut. Finish up and glue the back thread to the back, then cover it all with a magnet. N-JOY!!

January 8, 2013 Flag

This tutorial teaches you how to make beautiful glittery glass magnets using a few materials and nail polish you probably have lying around your house.

Three of the finished magnets.

April 24, 2015 Flag

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and/or refridgerator magnets! They would make a cute gift too.

vintage tin fridge magnet

• old spice or baking tins
  • magnetic tape
Reusing Vintage Tins

Directions:

• Just add tape to the back of old spice tins from your cupboards for a cute vintage desk set or pencil/stamp container on your fridge.
  • Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 25, 2011 Flag

Send a kiss to someone you love by way of these cute little critters. With just small pieces of felt and some magnets, your love will soon be on the way. They make a cute gift for any occasion.

Grinch and Snowman magnents

May 9, 2011 Flag

What to do with those advertising magnets; that is the question? Let the kids make holiday decorations for the refrigerator out of them; that is the answer!

Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

September 3, 2015 Flag

Silk flowers can easily be turned into cute magnets, perfect for using in a locker or on the fridge.

Flower Locker Magnets

June 27, 2011 Flag

Give your fridge color with some cute magnets and let Uncle Sam bring in the 4th of July. With a few scrap supplies and glue or thread, you can whip these up in no time.

pink bunny magnet

June 28, 2015 Flag

I got a free image on Pinterest of several shapes of thread spools.I thought it would be a cool idea to use up some old trim I found for .50 a box.

finished pin and magnets

April 3, 2013 Flag

Easy and affordable spring refrigerator magnet that holds a note pad or a cherished photo. A darling gift for children to make and give as gifts for Mother's Day or Grandparent's day.

April 5, 2010 Flag

This is what you really wish you could put on your office door.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

Instructions:

Paint your choice of color. Let dry. Write "complaint form" on the bottom, and cut some paper to fill in the clip.

Hot glue or E6000 a larger magnet to the back, as it has to clear the clip on the back.

It looks good on the fridge, but can be a real conversation starter for the file cabinet at work, too.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

May 26, 2009 Flag

A good use for those business cards that are attached to magnets. You can cut a photo to size and glue to magnet and place on your refrigerator.

By Kate from Gainesvile, FL

September 15, 2008 Flag

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars.

Decorative Gift Magnets

May 21, 2011 Flag

Don't throw away old theme calendars, some of them have thumbnails on the very back page that make perfect fridge magnets. Cut each thumbnail out individually and place on a magnetic sheet.

May 15, 2011 Flag

I got the cutest magnets for Mother's Day! They are photos of my grandsons that my daughter turned into magnets using her printer and magnetic paper. However, I'm not about to put them on the fridge in the kitchen, because I'm afraid they'll be ruined if they get wet or grimy, if something gets splattered on them, etc.

These magnets are just paper with the photo printed in printer ink. I have barely touched them since I got them, but the edges are already fraying a bit just from touching them to move them!

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them so they are protected. I've thought about spray sealer for crafts, but am afraid it might make the ink run. I've also thought about laminate or clear shelf paper to seal it, but don't know if that would work well either.

Anybody have any experience on the best way to preserve these? Thanks!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My friend always prints pics on regular paper then just laminates them. They always turn out great too! I think you should try this as a liquid may ruin it. Good luck

Read More Answers...

May 21, 2009 Flag

These adorable ladybugs will bring you much joy when you put them on your refrigerator. Use simple supplies to craft these beautiful insects.

Magent

December 21, 2005 Flag
    Christine Weber0 found this helpful

For the kid in all of us. Pick up a used Scrabble game at the thrift store and create a set of alphabet magnets to grace a fridge door!

tile magnets from scrabble pieces.

April 1, 2008 Flag

These joyfully smiling flower faced magnets are adorable in the kitchen, not to mention easy and fun for kids to create.

Flower face magnets.

September 22, 2004 Flag

You can buy a package of self-adhesive magnets at an office supply store. They are usually used for business cards. You can use these to make your own fun magnets.

April 11, 2009 Flag

My daughter created this cute little bunny magnet in no time. It would also be cute to wear as a pin. Simply glue a pin back to the back of the bunny's head instead of the magnetic strip.

Bunny magnet with pink pom pom nose.

August 9, 2007 Flag

I buy packages of metal fridge magnet frames at the euro shop and decoupage them. I cut out matching pictures from magazines to put into the frames to make them fancier. These make wonderful little gifts. I have also sold these at Xmas and Easter bazaars.

Photo frame fridge magnets.

July 23, 2012 Flag

For the prettiest magnets use vintage earrings or brooches. I cut off the pin back on the brooches and the clip-on part of the earrings. Attach a small magnet with E-6000. I first noticed this idea at a craft show. They were selling for $5.00 and up to $10.00 each.

Load More
    Crafts OtherApril 24, 2012
    Animal Cracker Magnets
    Homemade Kitchen Gift Ideas
    brown cow magnet
    Making Vintage Fridgie Diet Reminder Magnets
    Advertising Magnets
    Uses for Advertising Magnets
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 10:52:10 AM on 10.0.0.242 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.