Homemade Refrigerator Magnets

There are many fun ways to make creative magnets. This guide is about homemade decorative magnets.

Filter Sort

Glittery Glass Magnets

By Felicity H. 2 3

This tutorial teaches you how to make beautiful glittery glass magnets using a few materials and nail polish you probably have lying around your house.

You can replace the epoxy with super glue, but I prefer the epoxy for its strength. Since the other supplies are usually sold in bulk, you can make dozens of magnets in a small amount of time. These make great gifts, but you'll want to keep a few for yourself!

Three of the finished magnets.

Approximate Time: 30 minutes (not including drying times)

Yield: 20+

• 1 bag glass mosaic "globes" ($4)
  • 1 tube epoxy ($4)
  • 1 bottle glitter nail polish ($2)
  • 1 bottle solid color nail polish ($2)
  • 1 package magnets ($3)
Supplies for making magnets.

1. Paint the back of a glass globe with 2 to 3 coats of glittery nail polish, depending on how much glitter you want.
  2. Applying glitter polish.
  3. Paint over the glitter nail polish with 3 coats of solid colored nail polish. Let the nail polish completely harden.
  4. Applying solid color polish.
  5. Mix epoxy. Dab the magnet in the epoxy and attach it to the back of the globe.
  6. Attaching magnets.
  7. Let epoxy dry completely before use.
Finished magnets.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet

By Benetta 223 119

Make a nautical themed fridge magnet for a beach home and bring the seaside feel right into your kitchen. Use them as a fridge decoration that pops, or stick your child's drawings of your summer holiday to your fridge and create some special memories.

Approximate Time: one hour, including drying time

Yield: one fridge magnetfinished magnet

• hexagon-shaped natural wooden coaster
  • selection of small sea shells; sea stars and pieces of broken coral
  • 1.1 in 2mm thick plastic spacer
  • two small square craft magnets
  • powder blue acrylic paint
  • white paper raffia
  • red crochet thread
  • natural twisted jute twine
  • teaspoonful of sea sand
  • paintbrush
  • Super Glue
  • hot glue gun and glue sticks
  • quick-drying craft glue (such as Bostik Clear)
  • Heritage Spray-on contact glue
  • quick-drying matt spray varnish

1. Give the front and sides of the coaster an uneven wash with the powder blue paint and allow to dry thoroughly.
  2. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  3. Make the life buoy:
    a. Cut a piece of paper raffia and glue the one end to the back of the spacer. Twist the raffia tightly around the spacer and secure the second end at the back again.
    b. Add four red sections with the crochet thread. For the first one, cut a piece of red thread and twist the thread around the spacer five times. Pull the thread tight around the spacer and end it off with a knot at the back. Neatly cut off the loose ends of the thread. Repeat three more times, ensuring that the red parts of the buoy are evenly spaced.
  4. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  5. Super glue the two magnets to the back of the coaster and allow to dry thoroughly before turning the coaster over.
  6. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  7. Use hot glue to frame the coaster with the twine, and neatly cut off any protruding edges.
  8. Hot glue the life buoy and a few bigger shells in place.
  9. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  10. Add smaller shells and pieces of broken coral to complete the arrangement.
  11. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet
  12. Spray parts of the coaster with Heritage Spray-on contact glue and while the glue is still wet, sprinkle sand over the coaster. Allow to dry thoroughly.
  13. Spray the coaster with the spray varnish. Remember to work in a well-ventilated area when spraying the varnish. Allow to dry and add a second coat. Allow to dry and whoo-hoo! Your nautical coaster is ready to be used!
  14. Nautical Themed Fridge Magnet

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Recycling Magnets for Photos

By kathy 14 4

A good use for those business cards that are attached to magnets. You can cut a photo to size and glue to magnet and place on your refrigerator.

By Kate from Gainesvile, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Button Magnet

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

This very big button has the perfect holes for threading through bright crochet thread and yarn for magnets.

Approximate Time: 20-30 Minutes

Yield: 1finished magnet

• 1 large button with 4 holes ($.50)
  • 1 darning needle ($0)
  • 5-6 yd crochet thread or yarn ($.25)
  • 1-2 magnets ($.15)
  • 1 hot glue gun ($0)
  • 1 scissors ($0)

1. With your button facing you, thread from the back of any of the four holes, spotting the thread to the back with just a dot of glue.
  2. Button Magnet
  3. Make 4 threads through, either cross or vertical. Cut the tail and glue it to the back in the center.
  4. Button Magnet
  5. Make a new spot of glue to attach the longer thread, work to the back and wrap 8 single threads around the hole to the edges and back in again. Don't double the thread to save time, it will twist. If your thread or yarn sags, spot glue it in the back to keep it taut. Finish up and glue the back thread to the back, then cover it all with a magnet. N-JOY!!

Source: I have seen these on sites and free spots.

Link: N/A

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

S.W.A.K. Critters

By Mary 82 95

Send a kiss to someone you love by way of these cute little critters. With just small pieces of felt and some magnets, your love will soon be on the way. They make a cute gift for any occasion. Give one as a magnet or add to the top of a gift. Stitch a straight small branch to the back of one and include it in a bouquet of flowers. You can also make a heart tag from card stock and write a love note on it such as, "I'm udderly crazy about you" for the cow or "Sending a deer one a big kiss" for the reindeer. Thread a string through the top of the heart and hang it from the arm with the magnet. This would also be a great project for an older child to make for grandparents.

Approximate Time: approx. 1 hr.

• felt, assorted colors
  • wiggle eyes
  • round button type magnets: 3/4 inch and 1/2 inch
  • needle and assorted color threads
  • yarn - lion
  • pom poms - bunny and Grinch
  • pipe cleaner - snowman
  • small red and black beads - snowman
  • black wood bead - Grinch

Instructions:

SWAK Critters Template

For the most part, all critters are assembled in the same general manner. I will first provide the general instructions, followed by any specific differences in each. They are all hand sewn with simple stitching and if you need to trim at all, it is easy to do with felt. Do as much detail sewing as you can before you stitch any body parts together, such as facial features, hearts, tails, tummy pads, etc. This will help leave the back with a cleaner look. Wait until the end before gluing any items on, such as pom poms and eyes.

1. The first body piece you will sew is the circle for the front magnet pouch on the face. This is sewn to one head piece, which will then become the face. Sew this piece on only half way, then insert magnet and finish sewing closed. I used the larger magnet on the face and the smaller size in the hand. I chose to use the larger magnet on the face because it fits in the pouch well and gives the front of the face a full look, especially for the Grinch. You can choose to use only the 1/2 inch ones. They are strong enough to attract to each other. Do not use magnet sheets. They are not strong enough to magnetize through the felt. Use thick, button type magnets.

Note: When putting two magnets together, there is a positive and negative side to each. Be sure you have the correct side facing out so the two can magnetize together.

2. The dotted lines on the placement diagrams show where parts are inserted into others. Refer to these and photos along the way. Put both head pieces together, inserting any additional pieces, such as ears and antlers, as you go. Leave bottom of head open. Put body parts together and insert into head. Begin stitching together, inserting arms, legs, and any other lower body parts.

3. Sew hoof (hand) pieces together, leaving tops open. Insert magnet inside one, being sure you have correct side facing up. Insert end of arm into hand and sew closed. Do same for other arm and feet. Glue on any objects such as eyes, nose, spots, pom poms, etc. Glue another small magnet in back, if desired.
Cow and Lion Magnents Template

Cow:

Cut two small circles and sew onto pouch circle with french knot in middle of each for nostrils. Cut one head piece and one cow head piece with horns. Insert udder when you are inserting arms and legs. Glue on spots. Cow and Bunny Magnents

Lion:

Sew nose and mouth details on pouch circle first. Sew small circles of felt on for cheeks. On one head piece, glue yarn around edge for mane. Leave these a little long and trim after body parts are sewn together. Pinch ears when inserting into head for a slightly dimensional look. Bunny and Reindeer magnents Template

Bunny:

When done, glue on pom pom for nose and two for cheeks. Run a piece of thread or two behind cheeks for whiskers. Glue white pom pom on back side for tail. Reindeer and Lion Magnents

Reindeer:

Make two french knots on pouch circle for nostrils. Cut two small strips for each antler. I inserted a piece of toothpick between and sewed closed. Cut small circles and sew to tops. Insert these along with the ears. Grinch and Snowman magnents Template

Grinch:

This one is the most time consuming, only because he has more parts. But if you are a fan of the Grinch, the end result is worth the added steps. Of course, this is him after his heart grew.

For head, cut one from head pattern and one from Grinch head pattern with neck. Sew some french knots on pouch circle along with mouth lines. On one head piece, make a couple figure eights with thread for eyebrows. Knot in the middle of each. Snip ends and trim to desired length. His nose is a black wood bead snipped in half. This is glued on at the end along with the eyes. Insert hat and hat trim at an angle into head parts. Stitch closed. Refer to picture, if needed. Lay white neck trim on top of body front. Put both body parts together and insert into head, laying neck on top of white trim. Stitch closed. For each hand, cut one from hoof pattern and one from Grinch hand pattern. When sewing pieces together to make hand, place hoof piece in back. Sew a pom pom on to tip of hat. Grinch and Snowman magnents

Snowman:

Cut small carrot shape from orange felt and sew to top of pouch circle. Sew on black beads at bottom for mouth. Cut two circles for middle of snowman and two more, slightly bigger for bottom. Sew on black beads for buttons. Cut two strips from black felt for hat brim and two squares for hat. If desired, cut two small holly leaves and use red beads for berries; sew to front of hat. The broom is made using a pipe cleaner for the handle and the top is cut just like the tail tips. Insert pipe cleaner and sew top closed. Attach to snowman where Xs are indicated on placement diagram with a few stitches.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Sealing Home-printed Photo Magnets

By Judy = Oklahoma 60 750

I got the cutest magnets for Mother's Day! They are photos of my grandsons that my daughter turned into magnets using her printer and magnetic paper. However, I'm not about to put them on the fridge in the kitchen, because I'm afraid they'll be ruined if they get wet or grimy, if something gets splattered on them, etc.

These magnets are just paper with the photo printed in printer ink. I have barely touched them since I got them, but the edges are already fraying a bit just from touching them to move them!

I'm trying to figure out how to seal them so they are protected. I've thought about spray sealer for crafts, but am afraid it might make the ink run. I've also thought about laminate or clear shelf paper to seal it, but don't know if that would work well either.

Anybody have any experience on the best way to preserve these? Thanks!

By lyonpridej from Tulsa, OK

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By terrijeanjacobo 4 13 Flag

My friend always prints pics on regular paper then just laminates them. They always turn out great too! I think you should try this as a liquid may ruin it. Good luck

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Reusing Vintage Tins

By Donna 309 325

I save the tins with cute, vintage looking graphics after cleaning out my cupboards to make desk sets and/or refridgerator magnets! They would make a cute gift too.

vintage tin fridge magnet

• old spice or baking tins
  • magnetic tape
Reusing Vintage Tins

Directions:

• Just add tape to the back of old spice tins from your cupboards for a cute vintage desk set or pencil/stamp container on your fridge.
  • Read More...

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Spring Flower Photo or Note Magnet

By gem 154 262

Easy and affordable spring refrigerator magnet that holds a note pad or a cherished photo. A darling gift for children to make and give as gifts for Mother's Day or Grandparent's day.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Decorative Magnets

By leanne chaisson 44 84

This tip should have been thought of at the beginning of the year but, oh well.

Don't throw away old theme calendars, some of them have thumbnails on the very back page that make perfect fridge magnets. Cut each thumbnail out individually and place on a magnetic sheet (the kind that you buy at the dollar store). If you place them close together you can get a lot of magnets out of one 5 x 7 inch magnet sheet. Great for someone who wants small gifts to enclose as tuck-ins

Source: me, I have done this for years, then I sell them at craft sales for $1 each.

By Leanne from Williams Lake, B.C.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

By Ann Winberg 306 239

What to do with those advertising magnets; that is the question? Let the kids make holiday decorations for the refrigerator out of them; that is the answer!

Seasonal Refrigerator Magnets

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Complaint Form Magnet

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

This is what you really wish you could put on your office door.

Approximate Time: 2 hours

• a mini clip board from craft shop
    • your choice of paint and brush
    • scrap paper
    • small felt tip marker
    • strong magnets at least 1/3 inch deep to clear the clip on back.
    • E6000 or hot glue gun

Instructions:

Paint your choice of color. Let dry. Write "complaint form" on the bottom, and cut some paper to fill in the clip.

Hot glue or E6000 a larger magnet to the back, as it has to clear the clip on the back.

It looks good on the fridge, but can be a real conversation starter for the file cabinet at work, too.

N-JOY!

By Sandi from Yorktown, VA

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Scrabble Tile Alphabet Magnets

Christine Weber

For the kid in all of us. Pick up a used Scrabble game at the thrift store and create a set of alphabet magnets to grace a fridge door!

tile magnets from scrabble pieces.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Decorative Magnets

You can buy a package of self-adhesive magnets at an office supply store. They are usually used for business cards. You can use these to make your own fun magnets.

Find pretty little pictures, plaques, sayings, etc. in magazines and catalogs, carefully cut them out, cut the magnet to size, and stick your picture onto the magnet. Very simple!

I recently found a set of 6 plaques in a catalog, made a little set of magnets from them, and used them to decorate the front of a cabinet. It looks like they are painted on, very chic.

Also these make nice little gifts to tuck into a letter to a friend, to cheer someone up or make them laugh.

By Jayne

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Earring or Brooch Magnets

By Janette 91 153

For the prettiest magnets use vintage earrings or brooches. I cut off the pin back on the brooches and the clip-on part of the earrings. Attach a small magnet with E-6000. I first noticed this idea at a craft show. They were selling for $5.00 and up to $10.00 each.

By Janette from Parkersburg, WV

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Shake-A-Leg Magnets

By Mary 82 95

Give your fridge color with some cute magnets and let Uncle Sam bring in the 4th of July. With a few scrap supplies and glue or thread, you can whip these up in no time.

pink bunny magnet

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Craft: Decorative Gift Magnets

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

I love making people little things and then giving them gift baskets. One of the things I make are magnets. Magnets can be made from all kinds of thing. The ones I am submitting are the small photos on the backs of calendars.

Decorative Gift Magnets

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Ladybug Fridge Magnet

By Jayme 54 3

These adorable ladybugs will bring you much joy when you put them on your refrigerator. Use simple supplies to craft these beautiful insects.

Magent

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Happy Flower Face Magnets

By Aysha 44 11

These joyfully smiling flower faced magnets are adorable in the kitchen, not to mention easy and fun for kids to create.

Flower face magnets.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Juice Can Lid Christmas Magnets

By Maggie 13 53

Cute, quick and frugal gifts or decorations! The magnets are used canning jar lids and smaller ones are from frozen OJ concentrate can ends. Base coat white or brown and paint faces.

Juice Can Lid Christmas Magnets

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Flower Locker Magnets

By lalala... 732 97

Silk flowers can easily be turned into cute magnets, perfect for using in a locker or on the fridge.

Flower Locker Magnets

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Paper Spool Shaped Magnets and Pins

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

I got a free image on Pinterest of several shapes of thread spools.I thought it would be a cool idea to use up some old trim I found for .50 a box.

finished pin and magnets

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Personalizing Gift Magnets

By Karen 4 4

I'm making magnets to hold a child's drawings, homework, etc. I would like to personalize each one with their name with a whimsical form of writing. Any ideas, tips, etc.?

By Karen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Harlean 142 428 Flag

I personalize craft items at craft shows using either a Sharpie pen or an acrylic paint pen. I have trouble writing in a straight line and making my letters a uniform size, so I use a whimsical method by tipping the letters and putting one letter up and the next one down. When I finish writing, I put dots on each letter.

Harlean from Arkansas

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Rubik's Cube Magnet

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

This one is a shout out to the magnificent Rubik's Cube.

cube magnet

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Mouse Refrigerator Magnet

By Alma Barkman 36

Refrigerator magnet featuring mouse on piece of cheese.

Mouse Refrigerator Magnet

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Bumble Bee Magnet

By Jayme 54 3

This cute bumble bee magnet is sure to be all the "buzz" hanging on your refrigerator.

Bumble bee magnet.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Cute Bunny Magnet

By Rachel's Mom 277 87

My daughter created this cute little bunny magnet in no time. It would also be cute to wear as a pin. Simply glue a pin back to the back of the bunny's head instead of the magnetic strip.

Bunny magnet with pink pom pom nose.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Make Magnetic Fabric

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

Fabric adhered to magnetic sheet and cut into shape of a star.I found this at Spenser's Alley, a wonderful craft "mini mall" here in Salem, OR where I live.

You can get sheets of magnets, then peel off the back and adhere any fabric you like. This is older style mattress fabric they used for pillows and such called "ticking".

Then, you simply trace around the shape you want and cut with a heavy duty scissors.

This star is just one of hundreds of shapes you can make with cookie cutters, stencils, kid hand tracings, and things you see in craft and coloring books.

The nice thing is, you don't need glue and the whole thing is a magnet, so it keeps things down flatter, like kids school papers, permission slips, etc.

Enjoy!

By Sandra from Salem, OR

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Reuse Old Broaches as Refrigerator Magnets

By Gracie Carter 3

I find old unused broaches, take the back clip off and add a magnet to the back. I use them on the refrigerator to hold notes and stuff.

Source: Read about it in Real Simple magazine.

By Gracie from Astor, FL

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Decoupaging Fridge Magnets

By Lisa Austin 21 89

I buy packages of metal fridge magnet frames at the euro shop and decoupage them. I cut out matching pictures from magazines to put into the frames to make them fancier. These make wonderful little gifts. I have also sold these at Xmas and Easter bazaars.

Photo frame fridge magnets.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Poinsettia Magnets

Christine Weber

Seasonal magnets made from paper and reminiscent of that favorite Christmas houseplant!

Back and front views of magnet.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Caterpillar Magnets

A quick and easy craft, great for school stalls:

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Plastic Canvas Letter Magnets

By lalala... 732 97

Following the instructions in the booklet, I made the letters that spelled out each of my childrens' names. I glued googly eyes tiny pom pom noses onto each of them. Then I attached a magnet to the back of each one.

glue on eyes and nose

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Craft: Foam Art Magnets

By Robyn Fed 394 1,240

My daughter made these little foam art magnets for her dad on Father's Day. You could use these for any season or occasion. She cut out shapes and put adhesive backed magnetic stripping on the back.

Foam star with "Happy Father's Day" written on it

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Your Own Magnets

Make your own magnets with cute sayings or whatever, then laminate them in small laminating machine. It was rather cheap at a craft store on sale. Then use old magnetic business card magnets that we all get.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Photo Refrigerator Magnets - New Use for Advertising Magnets

I was doing a good cleaning on my refrigerator door and noticed most of my fridge magnets were advertisements. So, I went to my folder where I store pretty pictures, got out my glue stick, cut down a picture to slightly larger then magnet, and glued on a picture.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Clothes Pin Refrigerator Magnets

If you need more frig magnets to hang the kids' pictures and stuff, here is a cheap and easy way to make them. Buy a cheap bag of the wooden clip style clothes pins and the magnet strips you buy at the craft store. Have the kids use markers and color them.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Easter Bonnet Cap

By Sandi/Poor But Proud 467 2,136

A great way to use bottle caps, ribbon, flowers, fabric and buttons! This magnet/pin can be made for a decoration, gift, or to sell. Its under .25 for everything and very easy to do.

blue fabric covered cap in shape of bonnet

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Create Your Own Magnets

By badwater 263 654

Have you ever bought a pretty and decorative magnet at a store? The prices on these can be pretty outrageous. I keep a package of 10 or 12 ct. regular round magnets, that I purchased at a craft store, inexpensively, on hand, at all times.

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Tip: Making Photo Magnets

By Jennifer 1

Ever end up with too many business magnets (such as pizza) for the fridge? These are often paper-glued on top of a really nice magnetic sheet, and the perfect size for your own "make your own" magnet!

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Archive: Recycling Magnets for Photos

My daughter recycles my refrigerator magnets! She takes one of my magnets I've picked up from a local business and uses a gluestick to attach family pictures, etc.! She uses magnets that are from stores that have closed, magnets from businesses we used to frequent before we moved, and magnets with school calendars from previous school years. It's a great way to recycle and I have beautiful pictures of family members and furkids to look at instead of businesses I no longer use!

By GrammySheila from Titusville, Florida

Archive: Recycling Magnets for Photos

All those business card and advertising magnets you get from realtors, pizza restaurants, etc, don't throw them away; just glue your precious photos or artwork on them and make cute fridge magnets. Great way to recycle, I just received an American Express credit card magnet today and a pizza restaurant last week. Saves me $ and helps the Earth!

By Tracey from Thomasville, GA

Feedback:

RE: Recycling Magnets for Photos

I use the business magnets for the backing of kids stickers to make refrigerator magnets out of them. After pasting them on the magnet and cutting them out, I seal them with modge podge. I also use the animal pics from my vet catalogs. We're great animal lovers. (01/31/2008)

By javajano

RE: Recycling Magnets for Photos

Great recycling tip. Love it.
    (02/01/2008)

By Christine IN

Animal Cracker Magnets
    Crafts OtherApril 24, 2012
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Animal Cracker Magnets
    Homemade Kitchen Gift Ideas
    brown cow magnet
    Making Vintage Fridgie Diet Reminder Magnets
    Advertising Magnets
    Uses for Advertising Magnets
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    Making Flower Magnets for Your Locker
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 1:04:21 AM on 10.0.2.78 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestionsArchives
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings