Craft: Quilted Potholders

I love to make scrap potholders. These will take less than a hour to put together, but probably that long to "prep".

Materials:

• 1 piece of 13 inch material for backing
  • 1 piece of scrap blanket material 10 1/2 inches square
  • 8 pieces of 7 inch squares in TWO different colors (16 pieces total)
  • 1 piece of 5 inch material for the center..

Directions:

Lay the five inch center piece directly in the middle of the blanket material.

Iron fold the 8 - 7 inch squares into triangles as shown in the picture. Lay 4 triangles out 3/4 inches form the center of the blanket material. Sew them down. Then, lay the remaining four triangles as shown and sew down.

You should now have 8 squares remaining. Iron fold four into triangles as you did for the last row. Lay the triangle edges at the edge of the blanket and sew down. (See picture) The last four 7 inch squares need to be folded into a squares. Place at the corners and sew down.

You are now ready for the backing. Fold forward two sides and sew down. When completed sew the other two sides and you are finished.

The pot holder is machine washable and able to be tossed in the dryer. I use them and give them to friends.

The last picture is of my hand crank sewing machine.

By Tedebear from San Jose CA

Craft: Quilted Potholders

Craft: Quilted Potholders

Craft: Quilted Potholders

Nice little project! I love your machine. Would like to hear more about it...age, history, etc. Grandma Jan

Hi Javajano!

The sewing machine was built in 1914 in Scotland. I purchased it in an antique store in Los Gatos CA for $35.00. I take it to civil war reenactments and parks and sit under a shade tree and sew. The machine has given me more hours of pleasure than I can ever describe.

Very interesting! What brand is it? I would love to have one! I lived in Scotland in the 70s, but have never seen one.

Thanks for replying.

Grandma Jan & Kato the Wonder dog

Hi Javajano,

The machine is a Singer. The manuals can be downloaded on line at no charge. If you find one for sale, snap it up!

Handmade Quilted Potholders
Homemade Potholders
Crafts QuiltingSeptember 16, 2009
Homemade table runner.
Making a Quilted Table Runner
Quilted Photo Album Cover
Making a Quilted Photo Album Cover
Potholders From Fabric Scraps
Making Potholders From Fabric Scraps
quilted coaster
Making Quilted Coasters
🎉
🎄