Painting Walls to Coordinate With Black Furniture

Choosing just the right color to complement your black furniture can really make your room look good. This is a guide about painting walls to coordinate with black furniture.

April 3, 2008 Flag

I need advice on paint color for the kitchen and living room. We recently painted our kitchen and living room Stonington Gray. Unfortunately it looks light blue and it is pretty awful. Any suggestions on what other color we can paint?

I don't know whether to stick with gray or try something else. I wanted to use gray to compliment a black couch, black furniture, black and gray area rug, cherry cabinets, and island. The counter tops are blueish/gray and the back splash is in the blue/green family. Any thoughts?

Jstern from Brooklyn, NY

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

How about a pale sage green? It's still in the grey family and will complement all the colors you've chosen.

Best Answer

This may sound "way out there", but you can buy aluminum paint or Ralph Lauren Silver paint. This can be painted straight on the walls, You'll probably need 2 or 3 coats of the Latex Ralph Lauren & only 1 coat w/real aluminum paint which is oil based..... These silver paints can be added to gray paints (for sparkle) or you can do a decorative technique w/them over plain gray walls by using just the Ralph Lauren Silver, or a darker Tin color over gray. As you found out some grays have a bluish cast to them, some a Taupe cast. You want a gray with more of a Taupe cast to it. Next time do a practice board on foam or cardboard or even cardstock. Hold your new sample up to the paint you have now. This way you'll know right off if it has that bluish cast to it because it'll look totally different from the one you hate. Be sure to check out your samples in both DAYTIME sunshine & Nighttime lighting.

* Besides Silver, You can really use ANY color with Black that you really like. Of course Mauves, Reds & Burgundy's come to mind first (but not w/cherry cabinets) Blues & Sea-greens will also work, as will Sage Green, Mustard, & any kind of Tan. Stay away from most lavenders & Denim blues. Stay in the Mid to Light range of colors, I wouldn't use much in the way of Dark colors on wall w/black furniture.... My favorite standby is Golden Beige, it goes with most things. (also Sage Green). If you like a Modern theme, Silver will work wonderfully.

The Stonington Grey probably has some blue undertones which is why it looks bluish. Try a true grey. Take a piece of white paper with you to the paint counter and hold it next to the paint chips. The white will make the undertones more noticeable.

A friend (with a black bedroom suite) recently repainted their master bedroom a brighter shade of green than I would normally have liked but used white bedding with black monogram and green lamps and it was absolutely STUNNING! It looked like it came right out of a magazine!

January 18, 2008 Flag

I wanted to paint my living/dining room. I have high ceilings, black leather couches, black coffee table, black and glass end tables, red throw pillows and curtains; in addition I have an area rug under the coffee table with browns, reds, purples/burgundy, black, greens, etc. It is geometric and Pergo floors everywhere else.

The dining room has a very large high dark brown table and chairs. The chairs have white padded seats and my ceiling fan is similar to the color of the table (both cherry wood like). I was thinking of doing the large wall that connects the living/dining room red (an accent wall). But I have no idea if it will look good or not, again the ceilings are high so that's a lot of wall. In addition if I was to do this what color would I paint the rest of the living/dining room? I think it definitely can't stay white.

Katie from MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Pinkish colors look good with cherrywood. How about raspberry for the dining room? You could carry this color, or a lighter shade of it, over to the living room. Plum is another color that would look good in the living room. Plum, raspberry, and red are in the same color family so they would all blend together.

I think a khaki, tan or mocha color would look good with the red and especially with the black furniture. It will open up the room and still make it cozy. Also, there is a color I found at walmart. It is called muted gold. It has a khaki/light mocha color with a gold tint. Try it out. It looks great with my living room, which is all expresso stains and in my daughter's bedroom with all black furniture. She also has a deep red color or brick red to accent a little with a small amount of sage green.

I think a red accent wall would look nice and I personally would paint the rest of the walls a mustard yellow. Your place sounds beautiful!

I always see requests for paint color advice on here and I chuckle. Whatever color you are thinking of, GO FOR IT, it's just paint LOL. It's the easiest way to change a room, and the cheapest. You can also paint a piece of board the color you are thinking and put that against the wall for a few days to see how the light is going to affect it, day and night. My livingroom is very very dark burnt orange, Hubby thinks it's red. I did it a few years ago and I've never been sorry. It's starting to wear so now I'm thinking of a medium sage green. Again, I'm just going to go buy it and roll it on. If I don't like it I'll head back to Home Depot. I don't have a single white wall in my house. Like "Nike" says, just DO IT. LOL

Sandy/Pittsburgh

Does anyone have any pics of their rooms that have black furniture? I have a huge black lacquer bedroom set (with side armoires on both left/right), and are in need of a color scheme for a finished basement that I'm converting as my Master Bedroom. The room is essentially split in half by the stairs leading down to the basement, and to make a more "definitive" split, I'm going to install a faux column/trim on the wall to separate the rooms. So my Master Bedroom is where I need some color suggestions. For the adjacent room (which will serve as a mini-living room in my bedroom) it is already painted a walnut shell brown that looks pretty good to me and I might want to keep that scheme.

I love to have a wall in a color that is different (accent), and will have some leftover red paint from doing the ceiling in the kitchen that I could potentially use if you suggest.

Thanks for the help!

Penny

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceDecember 2, 2016
Choosing a Paint Color
Paint Color Advice to Coordinate with Furniture
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
Painting Over Smoke Stained Walls
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
🎉
🎄