Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands

I have arthritis in my hands and it is hard to open some jar lids. So I cut a square of rubber shelf lining to use on the lid . If it is stubborn, I put the jar under hot running water for just a few seconds, dry the lid and it works for me.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

I don't know if this will help you but I have found that an old fashioned can opener (the ones with the pointy end) work well to help open jars. I pop it under the lid at a couple of places and you can hear it pop a little, like a vacuum packed item. Then it is easier to turn the lid to open it.

After pounding the cap with a handle of a table knife, put on latex dishwashing gloves. It really helps............Do you know why we've been pounding on lids for many many years?? When you pound on the lid you're stretching the metal. My husband was a tinner. Juanita

I just flip the jar upside down and bang it flat on the floor. Have been doing this for about 20 years and never broke a jar, every jar has opened. Banging it breaks the seal.

Great Granny Vi,

Sometimes I use the rubber gloves as they have

ridges and helps open. I had a stubborn jelly jar

and as I was struggling I used the hot tap water and

finally popped the seal. I was beginning to think maybe I was not supposed to be having jelly.

"Where there is a will there is a way".

Run metal lids under the hottest water, metal will expand and you can often open the jar.

The old fashioned beer opener works too. Just hook it under the edge of the lid and push down. This releases the vacuum, pops up the center of the lid and make opening much easier. This doesn't work on band lids.

I have in desperation, as a last resort, used the beer opener all the way around the lid, making little triangle cuts, bent the center back with pliers and put contents in another container. CAREFUL HERE!

Black and Decker makes a jar opener, I bought for a family member with arthritis and it works great. It is worth the buy or ask for as a gift. WalMart, Target and others like it all carry it

Try the product JarKey (made in Denmark, available in kitchen shops). Cheap, plastic and available in a range of different colors. It releases the jar's vacuum in one simple up lever move, enabling the jar to open even with my useless hands.

My blessed hubby taught me a trick...flip the jar over and pound with the palm of your hand until you hear a thud (that's an air bubble?) then try, it usually gets it. If it don't work the first time, run the lid under HOT water, dry good, and that heat will contract the metal. POP! I am feeling the beginning stages of it in my hands...mornings and cold weather!

The Pampered Chef has a Jar Opener and an Easy opener for pill & pop bottles...

Both work great and under $10......

I use a table spoon under the edge of the lid to pop the seal, it is all downhill from there.

Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
Opening Jars with Arthritic Hands
Health & Beauty AdviceFebruary 1, 2006
Baking in Canning Jars
Baking in Canning Jars
Pickle Jar Candy Jars
Reusing Pickle Jars
opening a pickle jar
Opening Jars and Bottles
Plastic Bag
Opening Plastic Bags
🎄