Is there a home remedy for a fungus in a dog's ear? Maybe a vinegar solution to cleanse the ear?
By Joan from Lewes
Is it fungus or mites? Mites can be cured by using gensen violet on a q-tip. Fungus can be cured with vicks vapor rub on a q-tip or listerine.Twice weekly.
The vet said its a fungus, not mites. I was just wondering if there was a "home remedy" out there that was found to be effective. Thanks.
Here's the recipe for the Blue Power Ear Treatment although I call it the "Miracle Purple Treatment". If you decide to use it, make sure you follow the treatment procedure exactly and make sure you check with your Vet to see if the drum isn't punctured or there are foreign bodies in the ear.
16 oz bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol (standard 70%)
4 Tablespoons of Boric Acid powder
16 drops of Gentian Violet Solution (1%)
Mix together and shake well. Every time you use it, you really need to shake bottle well. Get a flexible plastic bottle with an opening at the top so that the solution may be gently squeezed out and dispensed to the affected ears. One of those hair dye bottles available at Wal-Mart, Target, pharmacy or beauty supply is perfect.
1. If ears are very inflamed or sore, don't pull the ear hair out or clean ear at all. Just flush the ear and then wait until inflammation has subsided...in about two days.
2. Lightly warm solution and shake bottle each time you use it.
3. Flood the ear with solution
4. Message gently to the count of 60 and wipe with a tissue.
5. On first treatment, flood the ear twice, wipe with tissue and leave alone without massage.
6. Let your dog shake out the excess (I recommend doing it outside unless you want to be splattered by purple spray LOL)
Do this twice a day for two weeks and then once a day for a week and then once a week if needed. It really works, really. It will stain clothing, etc so be careful. it will stain the ear and surrounding fur for a day or so, but then disappears. I always have a bottle of the mix handy and use it when needed. All four of our guys get their ears checked once a week and as a maintenance program, they all get a bit of a squirt in their ears once a month or as needed. It's also great for hot spots, minor itchy spots, etc. All natural too. Good luck.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!