Raking Leaves on Acreage

Don't do it by hand! If you have large acreage and/or lots of deciduous trees, better to use a lawn vacuum. I bought a used one (it's all steel, so I recycled, in a sense: when is the last time you saw one of those tow-behind-your-garden tractor vacuums made of steel?) about 30 years old.

It has a 5 horsepower engine, and uses the mower discharge via a large hose. The 5 horse engine provides the vacuum and simultaneously chops up the leaves to make a finely cut mulch. We deposit this directly onto the garden, and the rest is deposited onto our tillable acreage. It saves soooo much time, and you don't get blisters. I've seen new versions of this that are collapsible and lightweight, and cost around $1,000.

If you have large acreage, you probably have a lawn or garden tractor that will tow this attachment easily. Get one if you don't currently own one! No, I do not have a farm equipment business!

By Scott and Sheri from Hebron, NY

Hey, great idea.

For smaller areas, I use a large tarp, rake all my leaves onto

it, drag it 20 yards or so over to the edge of the woods and shake them off. So much easier, cheaper and greener than bagging them.

You have a great idea, though that's not why I'm posting. I grew up in Warrensburg area and lived in Fort Ann NY before I moved to Kansas City, KS. Know just where Hebron is and glad to see a little bit of home online.

We use our lawnmower to mulch the leaves same as we do the grass clippings. Our neighbors used to think we were nuts, but now they all do it too. I just try to stay ahead of the rain or snow. If everyone did this think how much landfill space we could save. Leaves and grass both will break down further and will actually fertilize your lawn.

Raking Up Fall Leaves
Raking Leaves
Home and Garden Gardening SeasonalNovember 20, 2008
beautiful colorful fall maple leaves
Photos of Fall Leaves
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Brown Leaves on a Loquat Tree
Dogwood tree in spring.
Leaves Turning Brown on Dogwood Tree
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🎉
🎄