Tiny Black Bugs in the Cupboard

Category Bugs
This is a guide about tiny black bugs in the cupboard. Determining what kind of bugs you have can help you find the best way to get rid of them.

I have tiny black bugs in my cupboard, what might they be?

By Sheree B. from Youngstown, OH

Best Answer

Weevils. I had them once. They hatched out of a bag of old whole wheat flour. It took me three weeks to get rid of them, but I did, just before I was desperate enough to call an exterminator. Check how e-how.com and look up "how to get rid of kitchen weevils." Read everything. I did and I got some great ideas that worked.

Sounds like you might have some "mealy bugs" which come from pasta, grits, meal, flour, dried beans, cereals like oatmeal and cream-of-wheat. If any of those things are stored in that area, be sure to check every other food item too, as the little bugs are very "contagious" and will manage to get into just about everything.

If you ate them, they wouldn't kill you, but you probably don't want to. The bugs are in some food items right from the fields of wheat, rice and other grains. They just haven't hatched yet. Flour and cornmeal are probably the most often contaminated with them.

I keep many dried bay leaves in all cabinets and cupboards where I store such food items. The little bugs don't like bay leaves. I also open some canisters and drop in a bay leaf or two. It doesn't hurt the food, and will keep the food safe from the bugs.

Hope this helps. Not knowing exactly what your bugs look like, I'm choosing the one most likely to be there in order to offer advice.

Best of Luck to you.

Pookarina