Cutting Pills

My small dog is on several meds. One of them needs to be divided into quarters. The tab is small and is scored for dividing in half, but when I cut the halves into quarters, sometimes the tabs splinter and/or divide unequally. (I have used a pill splitter, but I find that it's no better than using a razor blade.) Anyone have a suggestion about how to avoid these problems?

Claudia from MD

If a pill is scored (a line across the center), it may be cut in half only. Do not try to cut anymore than this, or if pill not scored, do not cut it. You cannot be gauranteed equal amounts of the medicine in each section if cut too much. you might get all the medicine in one half and none in the other, for example. Check with your pharmacist, he will verify this fact.

Ask your vet if it would hurt to put the pills in the freezer. Maybe it would cut better if it was really cold.

Pets HealthNovember 28, 2005
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
fabric scissors
Cutting Fabric Strips
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Cutting Fabric Straight With Scissors
Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs