MaintenanceCars

Don't Let Your Car Run Out Of Gas

Category Maintenance

Don't ever let your car run out of gasoline as it will burn up the fuel pump that's inside your gas tank. If you do, it'll cost about $300.00 to $400.00 minimum to get it fixed.

By Terri

My brother used to let his fuel go down to almost empty, his fuel pump died, and he found this out the hard way. He now never lets his fuel go below 1/4 tank.

Yes, this tip is so true! My husband has mentioned that one shouldn't run out of gasoline as there is a pump in the tanks. Plus if you run it out, it is much harder to get your vehicle started again. Very good tip!

"years ago" when taking drivers ed. our teacher told us to never let the gas guage go below the half full an always pretend thats its on empty....this is a great idea even after all these years. sure came in handy when the prices went up ...didnt cost me as much as filling a full tank.

Regarding those fuel pumps----I just had to have mine replaced to the tune of $1002.77 including the labor. I feel I was ripped off, but it had to be done. I have a 1998 Blazer. If any of you mechanics know what it should have cost me to have it replaced, please write a follow up to my reply. Thank you.

Arlene,

I talked to my hubby after reading your response regarding my post on not letting your vehicle run out of fuel. My hubby feels you thoroughly got ripped off with your recent repair bill for your 1998 Blazer. He said to tell you to call around to several of the local vehicle repair shops in your area to find out what each would have charged, in this kind of case, to go by, when you despute your case, if you do. Best of Luck! Terri