Living Without a Microwave

My 5-year-old microwave died shortly before Thanksgiving last year and my budget didn't allow for replacing it right away even though we had company coming for Thanksgiving. I mentally made a note to replace it after the first of the year; however in January, I thought I would wait for a good sale.

It is now more than four months sans microwave and I have found I don't really miss it because I was using it for defrosting and reheating purposes only. By consciously altering how I am defrosting foods, I have found I don't really need it and by using pots, pans and the oven, if necessary, I can reheat food just fine. I have realized that a microwave is not a "need" for me - just a "want" and right now, I am not willing to part with that kind of money for what I would get in return.

By Ronsan from southwest Missouri

I'm glad that you're thinking that way...me too!

This website was for at the start "thrifty" ways and IMHO is getting 2 b too much. Oh well!

I did with out phone service without being concerned for a week during a storm - neighbours thought the world was ending - power out for 3 hours! I'm working full time; but $$$ are just being spent on "things" we think we need.

Good, Better, Best - never let it rest, until our good is better and our better best.

I thought as a kid that meant to achieve to the best we (sic me) could do.

What has happened? I thought us greedies of the 80's where gone?

Shame on us & those who think what you have & have to decorate & show off.

Our parents didn't start off so privileged, why do some of these people think there start off point is on their parent's backs?

Have heard plenty about the 'health' risk to eradicated food, what the food is heated on, etc.

You are right... we can and have lived without a microwave before.

Microwaves are cheap. I wouldn't heat the whole oven up just to heat something.

From Frugal GG Vi....You can get a pretty good Microwave on sale ,We did ( at Home Depot ) for our granddaughter for Christmas 3 years ago for $29.99 and it still works. And it is cheaper/faster to warm up a cup of coffee in the microwave than turn on a burner.

We have gotten Microwaves 2nd hand that are quite adequate - & no, we don't use them all the time - but it can come in handy -

But add in the cost of the electricity!

It costs me less to cook a meal using a microwave than it does to run a hob or an oven.

The only way it works out cheaper is if I have to cook for more than three people or if I cook enough food for the whole weekend.

Being frugal, to me does not mean, ignoring a technology that can save me money.

Well I could never be w/o the convenience of my microwave. There are only a few meals I make in it but for heating water, reheating, making popcorn, etc it is just too useful. You can find used microwaves at thrift shops and/or garage sales as many people get rid of perfectly good ones when they remodel and such. I myself got rid of two working full size microwaves because I wanted white instead of black and wanted the automatic turntable! My new one, full sized GE from Home Depot was only $100 and I used birthday money to buy it. Best $100 I could have spent to have it match my other appliances plus that turntable is just fantastic. Microwaves have really come down in price since I got my very first one which was well over $500. Of course, this website is for thrifty-ness so if someone can do w/o a microwave and not spend the money on it, well that's fine but I think microwaves help cut down on time spent in the kitchen and just for their convenience alone are really worth the cost!

I couldn't stand not having a microwave for all the reasons mentioned here. The electricity you use from using the oven & stove will cost way more than a microwave. It would pay for itself in no time. I work for an appliance chain & you can get a decent one for 50. now.

You're right! I have a microwave, but I use it only to heat up a cup of cold coffee, and pop corn. I also use it (rarely) to heat up foods that are left over. It took me a long time to get one, because I thought it was just a GADGET. I have found it is just a convenience, not a necessity.

For a couple of years now I've been trying to get my mom to buy a microwave. She still refuses. It takes up counter space (lots of it) can mess with old houses wiring blowing a circut, and for some reason she still thinks they cause cancer. :) It is a luxary item. Yes popcorn is nice, but popcorn on the stove is so much more nastalgetic. and your right you've got everything you need. My mom has been living about 5 years now with her new propane stove, before she cooked on a woodstove.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsApril 4, 2006
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Quiche Being Served on White Plate
Microwave Quiche Recipes
microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
🎄