What Is Graham Flour

Can anyone tell me what graham flour is?

I live in the United States and I don't know where to buy this.

Thank you!

smoochie from Houston, TX

It's a convenience product, it's graham crackers already crushed up. It's getting harder and harder to find. Do you have Food Lion stores out there? That's the last place I saw it. It came in a bag with orange and white stripes. It wasn't in a flour bag. It was more like a cookie bag, the kind that folds over at the top.

No, this is ACTUAL flour.

You can find it with all of the other flour. Hodgin Mills makes a brand. Use it in your favorite oatmeal and raisin cookie recipe. So delicious. I purchase mine at Kroger and Walmart. If you cannot find it in your regular grocery store, go to Whole Foods or another Health Food store. You will love this flours taste. I live near Dallas, Texas.

I have always used whole wheat flour in its place.

Are u sure its not GRAM FLOUR? Gram flour is ground up garbanzo beans turned into flour (like soy flour or cornmeal) It's brilliant as a binder instead of eggs and for many vegetarian/vegan recipes. i get it from health food stores. Very nutritious stuff.

Graham Flour is found in most health food stores. It is a coarse whole wheat flour. The type they use to make graham crackers with.

Hope this helps!

Graham flour is a type of whole wheat flour named after the American Presbyterian minister Rev. Sylvester Graham, an early advocate for dietary reform. According to the Larousse Gastronomique, Graham despised processed white flour and believed that bran was the cure-all for the bad eating habits of his compatriots.

Rather than simply grinding the whole grain wheat kernel (bran, germ, and endosperm), in graham flour the components are ground separately. The endosperm is ground finely, initially creating white flour. The bran and germ are ground coarsely. The two parts are then mixed back together, creating a coarse-textured flour that bakes and keeps well. Graham flour is used to make graham crackers and pie crusts, among other things.

Graham flour is not available in all countries. A fully correct substitute for it would be a mix of white flour, wheat bran, and wheat germ in the ratio found in whole wheat. Plain whole wheat flour can also be used as a substitute in recipes, but the texture of the resulting baked goods will be different than if graham flour had been used.

All I did was just cut and paste this from Wikipedia!

i think what you are looking for is GRAM FLOUR. It is lentil flour and you will find it in Indian shops under the name BESAN. It is rarely used in western cooking. What recipe do you want to use it in? It is a little like cornmeal but more fine.

niyatra

Editors Note It is interesting that there are two flours: graham (wheat) and gram (garbanzo(chick pea) or lentil?).

I think you mean Gram flour, which is powdered chick peas. You can find it in any whole food store or Asian supermarket.

You People Rock!

This is the first website I have ever joined and I am contiually amazed at how nice people are! Thank you so much for your responses, it really helped me. :)

Hi smoochie...I was in walmart getting some whole wheat flour to make more bread and low and behold what I saw. A label stating whole wheat flour/graham flour. Which is what ww flour is. Here's a link I found to help all of us in substitutions and explanations. http://www.foodsubs.com/Flour.html#all-purpose

Glad I could help. I was curious as well, I had never heard of graham flour either. Have a fun day.

I have graham flour! It's brown, guess you might describe it as wheat, exept darker brown. There's some graham flour in Walmart in the Warsaw, Indiana area, that's all the information I have, thanks a bunch!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Food InfoSeptember 8, 2007
All Purpose Flour
What is All Purpose Flour?
Cake Flour
Using Cake Flour
Bread Machine
Recipes Using All Purpose Flour in Bread Machine
Sifting Flower
Sifting Flour Without a Sifter
🎄