Freezing Beets

Canning Beets, Drying Beets, Growing Beets, Selecting Good Beets, Peeling Beets, Freezing Beets, Fresh Whole and Sliced Beets

If you have more beets than you can use right away, freezing them is a great way to preserve their freshness. Keep your beets ready for when want to use them by putting htem in the freezer. This is a guide about freezing beets.

Solutions: Freezing Beets

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Freeze Sliced Beets

While reading the solutions to the question about freezing cooked beets, I realized I could freeze them like I do fresh berries. I put a sheet of waxed paper or parchment paper in an 8x8 inch pan, then layer the cooked, sliced beets so they freeze individually.

When frozen, release from the paper into a freezer bag. When defrosted, they will be able to be used in a salad or re-heated.

By Stonesdoor from Miami, FL

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Freezing Beets.

Question: Freezing Beets

Can you freeze beets and how long do they last?

By Amy P

Most Recent Answer

By chm [1]07/10/2011

I do most of the things listed here, but I water or juice pack them in zip bags. When you seal them in the bags make sure you get all the air out. These water packed beets are great and I've used them up to 2 years after making them. Only if the bag hasn't been broken. I make juice or water packed beets when I freeze them. This gives me the option of plain or pickled, when they are thawed. I use quart bags that way if I want more I can use more. They also thaw easier.

To make pickled beets and eggs, I heat the whole bag or more bags of beets with vinegar and sugar, then add the eggs to the hot mix and refrigerate. You must taste this mix to get the right amount of vinegar and sugar. When eggs are put in the hot mix, they soak up the color and taste faster. We like ours quite puckery, more so than most people. My choice is no spices with mine. I prefer the plain sugar and vinegar flavor. I also don't use salt. I don't think mine need it. If I have it I like red wine vinegar.

Question: Freezing Beets

Can I freeze beetroot?

By James E.

Most Recent Answer

Along with Redhatterb's advice you need to cook them until tender. Allow them to cool and store in a freezer container with as much air removed as possible.

Question: Freezing Cooked Beets

I have my beets and I want to boil them. Can I then cut them up and freeze them for winter use?

By Hazel

Most Recent Answer

By Lilac [20]08/22/2011

Yes but you can cut them up first and then they will be ready to serve.

Question: Freezing Beets

Can I freeze fresh garden beets in a food storage sealed bag?

Most Recent Answer

By kate [5]08/07/2011

Try these directions, I used it last year and it worked.

Freezing Beets: Since beets are almost exclusively used in a cooked form, which means that losing the raw texture is less important, they do freeze fairly well. Here's how to freeze beets to store in your freezer at home.

Step 1 - Selecting the beets: The most important step! Select deep, uniformly-red, tender, young beets. You need beets that are FRESH and crisp. Limp, old beets will make nasty tasting canned beets. Select firm, crisp beets. Remove and discard any soft, diseased, spotted and chewed up beets.
How many beets and where to get them
You can grow your own, pick your own, or buy them at the grocery store. About 7 pounds of 2- to 2½-inch diameter beets makes about 8 pints of beets.

Step 2 - Take a sharp knife and trim off beet tops, leaving an 1/2 to 1 inch of stem and roots to prevent bleeding of color (very important that you leave some stems and the roots).

Step 3 -Wash the beets! Scrub the beets in plain cold or lukewarm water using your hands or a vegetable brush. It's easier to wash them after you've cut off the tops.

Step 4 - Cook the beets: Put similar sized beets (hopefully, they're ALL of a similar size so they take the same time to cook) together with enough boiling water to cover them and cook until tender (usually for small beets 25 to 30 minutes; for medium beets 45 to 50 minutes, in an open pot, or 10 - 15 minutes in a pressure cooker). Drain and discard the liquid.

Step 5 - Cool the beets: You can pour ice over them, or just let them cool on their own. It's just to cool them enough so you can handle them to remove the skins, stems, roots and then slice or quarter them.

Step 6 - Trim, peel and slice: Trim off the roots and stems. The skins should easily slide off. Slice the beets into ¼-inch slices. You can leave the beets whole (if they are small, say 1 inch or less), or quarter them or slice them into ¼-inch slices.

Step 7 - Package, label and freeze: Package in ziploc freezer bags, or better, in a vacuum food saver bag. Label; e.g., "Beets" and the current date. Seal and freeze

Question: Freezing Beets

I need a recipe for how to freeze beets.

By Alice

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [13]05/28/2012

I'm sure you can find the directions on google. From what I can remember from many years ago, you cook the beets without peeling them and you also leave the tail and a few inches of the stems, whatever they are called. You have to do this or else they will lose a quite a bit of their color. Then when they are completely cooked you cut the tail and stems off, and peel them, then cut them into whatever size pieces you want and proceed to put them in containers, baggies, etc. and freeze. Being they are already cooked you won't have to blanch them. Like I say this is what I remember, so I would verify it before doing it.

Question: Freezing Beets in Plastic Containers

Can you freeze beets in plastic freezer containers? If so what are the steps to do it? Should some of the juices be frozen with it? Or packed dry?

By Lynn R.

Most Recent Answer

By Joanne [5]09/13/2011

You are best to can them. I am not sure you can freeze beets. Check out the "Ball Caning Book" I think it's called Ball Blue book.

Question: Freezing Beets

Can I freeze fresh beets to use at a later time, such as for soups?

By Lu from Canada

Most Recent Answer

By Joan [2]08/02/2011

I tried, they were disgusting. They need to be canned or pickled.

Question: Freezing Sugar Beets

Can I freeze raw sugar beets, and for how long? Does freezing destroy it's natural nutrients?

By Josephine C

Question: Freezing Previously Canned Beets

Can I freeze my beets after I've bottled them?

By Gloria from Bay Bulls, NL, Canada

Question: Freezing Beets

Can I freeze home grown red beets and how do I do it?

By B.W. from Wenatchee, WA

Question: Freezing Beets and Spinach

How long can you freeze beetroot? Can you freeze spinach and how?

By Nicky

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Freezing Beets

By Ellen Brown

Freezing Beets
*** Selecting High Quality Beets: Buy beets for freezing with the tops still on. Crisp greens are a good indicator the beets are fresh. Beets should be uniformly red and free from visible damage. Small beets tend to be tender and less woody. Home grown beets should be left in the ground until fall and pulled up immediately prior to freezing. freezing guide

Preparing for Freezing: Scrub beets and sort them according to size. Cut the tops off, leaving an inch or two of the stem to prevent beets from bleeding while cooking. Leave roots intact.

Blanching Time: Beets will freeze best when cooked thoroughly until "fork-tender". Cook in boiling water-25 to 30 minutes for small beets and 45 to 50 minutes for larger beets. After cooling, slip off skins and remove stems and tap roots. If desired, dice or cut into slices for freezing. An alternative method is to clean them, removing tops and roots, and bake them at 400º until tender (approximately 1 hour for 2 1/2 to 3 inch beets).

Best Freezing Method(s):

• Boilable Bags: Cook beets in boiling water or bake in oven. Cool just long enough to slip off skins. Slice or dice beets as desired and place into boilable bags. Press out air and seal. Finish cooling in water, pat bags dry and freeze.

• Dry Pack: Once cool, place blanched beets directly into containers for freezing. Leave 1/2 inch of headspace.

Suitable Packaging: Freezer containers should be moisture and vapor resistant and should not be prone to cracking or breaking at low temperatures. Containers should provide protection against absorbing flavors or odors and should be easy to label. Freeze beets in rigid container made from plastic or glass, or in freezer-grade plastic bags or heavy-duty aluminum foil.

Maximum Storage Time: 10 to 12 months at 0ºF.

Thawing: Beets can be added to dishes for cooking directly from the freezer without thawing.

Tips & Shortcuts: Beet greens are edible, so when removing the tops from beets, don't forget to save the greens. Store them in a cold part of the fridge for up to 24 hours.

Refrigerating Beets: Leave the roots and 1 to 2 inches of the stems intact for refrigerating raw beets. Brush off dirt, but do not wash until using. Pat dry and place in a perforated plastic bag with a moist paper towel. Refrigerate for 4 to 8 weeks. Cooked beets will last 3 to 5 days.

RE: Freezing Beets

Whenever I grow beets in my garden, I harvest the large outer leaves to eat or can before the beets are ready to pick. Once the beets have matured and it is time to harvest them, I again can the leaves separately from the beets, of course. That means that from 1 planting, I get 3 yields, two of greens and one of beets. Beet greens taste like Swiss Chard when cooked. The young leaves can be put raw in salads, and are often included in Mesclun salad mixes (baby greens) because of their wonderful taste and nutritional value. (06/17/2006)

By susanmajp

RE: Freezing Beets

I froze beets last fall and now when I make them they seem to be all mushy. Can anyone tell me why. (01/04/2009)

By Ginger

RE: Freezing Beets

To Ginger: Did you freeze raw beets? I hear they get mushy if frozen. Did you get all the air out of the container? Did they thaw and re-freeze? Were they really old beets? Different things can effect texture. Other than that beets are supposed to freeze well. (01/06/2009)

By Kathy

Archive: Freezing Beets

Can you freeze red beets?

By sptdgs6 from Mechanicsburg, PA

RE: Freezing Beets

You sure can freeze beets. Use uniformly deep red, young beets. Wash and sort according to size. Trim the tops, but leave 1/2 inch of the stems and tap root. This will prevent bleeding of color during cooking. Cook in boiling water until tender, for small beets 25 to 30 minutes; for medium beets 45 to 50 minutes. Cool promptly in cold water. Peel, remove stem and tap root, and cut into slices or cubes. Package, leaving 1/2 inch of head space. Seal and freeze. (06/27/2009)

By Fortunately

RE: Freezing Beets

When I freeze beets, I always dice them and put them into freezer bags. I squeeze out all the air, and they keep very well. I am sure they would work equally well sliced. (06/28/2009)

By louel53

Archive: Freezing Beets

I am a senior and have never come across this before. Can beets be frozen after cooking? I have never heard of frozen beets, but that doesn't mean it can't be done.