Color Ideas to Make a Room "Fun"

I just moved into a new house and my new room looks so boring and sad. There is no color. I want to make my room fun! I like blue, green, yellow, orange, red, etc. I want my furniture to match the color of the walls. I would also like to know what kind of furniture I should put in my room.

By Carolina from San Bernardino, CA

Generally you lose the impact of a piece of furniture if it is the exact same color as your walls. For example, a red couch will lose all of it's punch against a red wall but a sage green sofa will pop in front of a hunter green or eggplant colored wall. Also, sometimes just having an accent wall of a striking color is a better way to go.

I'd strongly encourage you to check out sites like that have thousands of ideas and examples to give you a great place to start. Good luck.

I read a lot of books on interior design. For me, the foremost authority on color is Susan Sargent. She has written at least two books that I know about. The best of the two is The Comfort of Color.

What I like about Sargent's interior design is that she tells you how to use bright colors in rooms without making your home look cheap. Do you know what I mean? sometimes bright colors can look cheap... like bubble gum pink on plastic flamingos. But Sargent pulls it off without this negative attribute. Her perferred style is country, but as she says color can be used in every style of design. Her interiors are cheerful and happy but yet have a richness about them that says "adults live here."

Best of luck. Enjoy your home. Its yours. Live in it as you wish.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating AdviceJanuary 26, 2010
Living Room Colors
Living Room Color Scheme Advice
A picture of the Eiffel Tower.
Decorating a Room With a Paris Theme
dining room
Dining Room Paint Color Advice
Room With Many Doors
Decorating a Room With Many Doors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on October 18, 2016 at 2:10:33 AM on in 970 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.