Making Your Own Iron On Patches

Can anyone help me? I am looking for what 'type of glue' to use that can mimic the iron applique effect. It needs to be able to be applied to the back of materials and let dry. Then when applying heat to it later on, with an iron, it mimics the iron-on appliques effect.

By Joyce from Australia

I'd suggest Wonder Under. It's a paper backed fusible webbing. I haven't bought any for several years, but I used to get it in the area of the fabric store where they have the clear plastic/vinyl on rolls. I believe it's sold in folded sheets in packages, too.

We did a craft maybe 20 years ago, where we'd take apart silk flowers, and lay the petals on the Wonder Under. Cover it with foil (to protect the iron), and iron to transfer the adhesive to the petals. When cooled, peel the petals off of the paper backing, and it's now like an iron-on. Place the petals onto whatever (we did some t-shirts), cover with a press cloth or more foil, and iron to apply (just like an iron-on applique). We went around the edges with some fabric paint, just to seal everything down.

Looking back, it was kind of a gaudy creation, but we had fun and thought it looked great. We were able to wash our creations on the gentle cycle. If you cannot readily find it in Australia, check online. Best of luck!

Heat and Bond is stronger than WonderUnder. I use both. Instructions are on the packaging.

Online: http://www.joann.com There are those which are ultra heavy to light. Depending on your project. You can buy mega yards or as little as 5 yards. I keep it in the cupboard all the time.

Thank you every one for this help. I appreciate your time in answering.

Have a wonderful weekend ! ;D

Joyce