In Memory Of Webster (Cat)

contest winner icon

Yesterday, when my husband and I returned home from work, we noticed our 16 year old cat was unable to stand and walk. I had noticed him limping for a few days, but he had always been one of those cats that spent his entire day jumping up and down, from many different places.

All day long I dreaded taking Webster to the Vet for the obvious reasons. He also was a very shy cat. Very few people have actually physically seen him, let alone ever actually touched him because he always hid.

I was very concerned about his reaction to strangers, and it really did weigh heavily on my mind all day. I did not want his final moments of life to be absolutely terrified, which is what I was expecting.

I don't know what came over him at the Vet, but all he did was purr. He purred so loudly the Vet had a hard time trying to listen to his heart, when she gave him a look over.

People touched him, took him from us to the back for a few minutes to prep him, and his whole demeanor was so unlike him. He actually purred to the very end which was very surprising to me.

Whether he knew what was going to happen or not, I don't know but I do know I will always be grateful for that last memory.

By CaroleeRose

What an absolutely gorgeous cat. I'm so sad to read his story.. yet the purring and this image make me smile. My thoughts are with you.

Webster is a dear kitty, seems too young to pass away so soon. I know he is missed, such a loss for you and anyone who loses a beloved pet.

Dear CaroleeRose,

I can't tell you how sorry I am to hear that your Webster has made the trip to the Rainbow Bridge.

I know your heart is hurting and you'll feel empty for a while, but instead of celebrating his death for too long, start celebrating his life as soon as you can. Maybe you can do that by going to the Cat Rescue and adopting another kitty ASAP. By the time you are ready to accept him or her, the new kitty will be used to you, and will help you continue healing.

l learned that from a wonderful old friend who was so wise that we all called him Solomon, (King for short). He gave us so much great advice, and everything he ever told us has proved to be true. He always said that a heart open to love couldn't be closed in grief. As I get older, I think of that so often.

God Bless you and your husband for the long and wonderful life you gave to Webster. He went out purring and that tells you all you need to know.

Hugs,

Lee

Strange as it may seem to us this magnificent boy knew he was about to cross the "rainbow bridge" and this was his way of saying "thank you" to his loving human family please don't grieve for me "if you love them set them free", god bless.

I am so sorry for your loss of your wonderful Webster. Be thankful that God gave him a peaceful departure to Rainbow Bridge, and you a lasting peaceful memory of his leaving.

Hugs

Dani

Having been a cat owner all my life, I know how much it hurts to have a beloved animal put to sleep. I am wiping away the tears as I write this note. But you did the right thing for Webster, out of love and this beautiful boy knew it! By the way he looks just like a new kitty who is in the process of "adopting" us! Thank you for sharing your pictures and story with us. God bless.

I waited almost a week to write something to you because I was crying so hard when I first read your story about Webster and thought waiting those few days would make it easier to write something. Here I am crying again and all I can write now with still streaming tears is that I am so sorry for your loss, that you did the right thing and that Webster is an Angel above now watching over you! God Bless!

January 11, 2011 Flag

Webster the Cat

Webster is 13 years old medium, soft orange fur cat. Webster belonged to my husband before we got married. He likes to sit by the window and watch the birds and squirrels.

By CaroleeRose from Madison, AL

Answers:

Webster the Cat

He's absolutly wonderful. I just want to reach out, pick him up and cuddle him. (04/17/2009)

By yarnlady

Webster the Cat

That is such a great picture! Thanks for sharing! (04/17/2009)

By jannieb

Webster the Cat

It looks like "Old Webster" is just plain tuckered out from reading all that mail! :0) (04/18/2009)

By MCW

Webster the Cat

I love the way you wrote "he belonged to my husband before we got married"...like now he belongs to you! Great pic. (04/18/2009)

By dh8

Webster the Cat

Webster looks like a very literary cat. Please read him something on my behalf. He's lovely, really. (04/18/2009)

By thriftyboo

Webster the Cat's not fooling anyone!

As most of you know, we don't own cats - they own us! For the lucky humans, an especially nice cat will consider us to be their primary care giver, and give us an appreciate nudge and loud purr when it's feeding time.

To the untrained eye, Webster appears to be fast asleep (They're so cute like that). In actuality, he has one eye opened (hidden from view) and he is studying up on "How to catch especially fast birds" and "How to free yourself from the repressive bonds of being a house pet by learning how to use the electric cat opener."

My two cats, "Marchello" and "Da Bruiser" wrote a book entitled "The cat opener mystique" and then they kicked me out of the house but not before forcing me to sign a promissory note stating the mortgage and utility payments would come out of my "now frozen" bank accounts to be used for the payment and upkeep of the homestead. A special addendum states that they house will remain a constant 98 degrees all year round. "Animal Police Germantown MD", from the acclaimed TV show, have been hired (at better than minimum wages, I might add - seems the kitties have been dipping into my 401K) to stand guard to prevent me from sneaking in and lowering the thermostat.

I looked in through the window yesterday to see how they were doing, and Marchello had his sweet little head resting on a book, not unlike Webster. But the title sent chills up my spine. It was entitled "HAVING HUMANS FOR DINNER." from the old twilight TV show!

Do any of you know a good lawyer who can help me get these two "kitty monstrositie" moved out of my house?

At first I wanted them gently removed but now I'm not so sure - perhaps a midnight run around 3:00 AM by my trusted canine friends, Nick the Greek (a very lazy beagle) and Tony the dachshund leading them into the local IAMS market into the basement where they'd have all those toys to play with and all those IAMS food choices! I really would like to get back into my house without further bloodshed (mostly mine) but I'm at my wits end! Help me please! I told the dogs that they didn't necessary have to be gentle. Have you ever seen a dog smile?

But If the opposite happens, and Nick the Greek and Tony the Dachshund decide the that cats' cause is "right and just" and decide to stay in the house with the cats, I will have no choice but to move back to my last home just outside of Naples Italy, take my losses like a man, and continue to love cats - as long as they stay outdoors!

Thanks for listening to me - it's hard to be funny at 4:00 a.m. - way to many typographical errors to correct. (04/19/2009)

By Mike

Webster the Cat's not fooling anyone!

Webster the Cat

My recent surname was Webster and I just love ginger cats. He looks so relaxed and cuddly. Great picture, thank you. (04/19/2009)

By bookworm4

Webster the Cat

Thank you for sharing Webster's story. He is precious and I am sure he's loaded with personality. Give him some scratches from me!

Jennifer from Northern Virginia (04/19/2009)

By ILuvDobes

Webster the Cat

Webster looks so content. I just want to snuggle him! Picture Purrfect!

Grandma Jan and Kato the Wonder Dog (04/19/2009)

By javajano

Webster the Cat

Delightful picture. Thanks for sharing. (04/19/2009)

By louel53

Webster the Cat

Great picture (04/20/2009)

By knewton37

Webster the Cat

Webster is a sweetheart, I can tell. We too have a ginger kitty (Tee-Vo), who looks identical to your Webster. They are just the most wonderful pets (masters in disguise) and rule us so gently and lovingly that we are forever hooked. Thanks for sharing him with us. Incidentally, we are slaves to seven kitties (all rescued and strictly indoor residents). They keep us in line and on our toes for sure and are just the greatest entertainment, and most loving housemates.

Also want to say I enjoyed Mike's reply and delightful little story about his two "monsters". It's so nice to find other cat people to speak with. Best to all cat lovers. Julia (04/21/2009)

By PookaRina

Webster the Cat

Oh, I just wanna smoosh my face in his soft belly! He looks adorable and so sweet. I had an orange cat and he would daily go and bother the mean dog on the block, haul his big fat body at speeds that did not seem possible then jump on several things until he was swinging from the gutters and we would have to scare mean dog and rescue Huevos de Oro (golden eggs is literal translation) No one could believe the speed our little fat cat would run. And then he would curl up in a sunbeam looking like the most innocent creature! Well please love on, kiss, hug and hold Webster for me! He is gorgeous. (04/25/2009)

By meoowmom

Photos Pets CatsJanuary 14, 2011
Display Collections In A Memory Box
Making A Memory Box
Simple square block quilt made from vintage fabric.
Making a Memory Quilt
High School Reunion
Making Memory Books for a High School Reunion
🎉
🎄