How Long Does It Take for a Puppy To Adjust To a New Home?

We just bought an American Bulldog. She is almost 8 weeks old. We also have a 12 week old Boston Terrier. We have had the american bulldog for 3 nights now and she is still really timid and out of sorts. I was just wondering how long it will take for her to be more energetic.

Mitch from Calgary, AB

Answers

Your puppy might just be sleepy. Remember she's just a baby. My English Mastiff is now 7 months and he still sleeps a lot. When he first came home he slept all the time. It was just like having a baby, eat, potty, sleep, potty, eat, potty sleep...which meant I got NO sleep at all! The boston terrier breed from what I have seen is an energetic breed. I don't know anyone with an American Bulldog but I thought they had a more mellow temperament. They are supposed to be loyal and protective of their owners. I read that they are reserved towards strangers, so it will just take a little time to get her used to you. Another thing to remember, is she may be acting timid because of all the new things in her environment...new house, new smells, new dogs, new people, new sounds...you get the picture. I'd be scared too! Crash used to cry and he'd snuggle up to this big stuffed monkey ( I think he thought it was his mom, or at least the next best thing) and fall asleep. She'll be ok, she just needs some time to adjust.

Pets Dogs AdviceSeptember 24, 2006
A girl holding a new puppy.
Helping a Puppy Adjust to a New Home
Leash Training a Puppy
Leash Training a Puppy
photo of a black and white puppy
Choosing a Puppy
A cat and a puppy.
Introducing a New Puppy to a Cat
🎉
🎄