Painting a Kitchen with Blue Countertops

In my kitchen the walls are a light yellowish white. The counter tops are a dark blue granite, but the cabinets are white. I am trying to change the wall color. What color would look good?

By Amanda

Bright yellow would certainly add color. A brighter than the counter tops blue might work or blue and white stripes. With white cabinets, you really have many choices. What color do you like? Try that. I can see almost any color working here, but do a small sample first, and, please, not a white ceiling unless your cabinets touch the ceiling. Since kitchens usually don't have much wall space, you can change it easily if you aren't happy, or just want a change.

You could paint a light blue, or red, or green that would be a good match to the dark blue. or a rust orange type of color, or brighter yellow on the walls.

I would go with a nice tan. Browns and blues go together and you can go to the local hardware store and use their color design machines.

You put in the room, the cabinet colors and counter tops, and click on the walls and then a color and you can see the combo before you buy the paint.

Good luck!

In one of the archived posts you might find the person who recommended a bright light green. At first this might seem odd, but I have seen it in pictures and it is very refreshing. Of course, you have to consider the type of home you have and your personal style. If you want something with pizzazz, go green. If you want something calmer, try tan.

I was looking at this because we are checking out a house right now that house royal blue countertops and burgandy paint on the walls. YUCK! My first thought was the countertops need to go, but I think I can work with them. I would choose a pale yellow or tan. I like to keep things looking fresh, clean and OPEN. I am not a fan of dark or bright colors in the kitchen. Especially since yours appears to be small. Good luck to you!

September 5, 2010 Flag

I have white oak cabinets and blue countertops. My appliances are white. Right now my walls are white and I would like to repaint with another color and get a new floor. What color should I paint the walls and what color tile should I get for the floor?

By Millie from MD

Answers:

Blue, white, and a soft brown are so pretty! Whatever you choose, take a shot and share it with us? Good luck! (03/13/2010)

By Poor But Proud

March 9, 2010 Flag

I have white cabinets in the kitchen with blue countertops (not navy and not baby blue, but country blue) and natural wood floors. What would be a good paint color for the walls (not yellow)? I was thinking a chocolate brown.

By Hulet from Alberta, Canada

Answers:

You could go with a light brown, taupe, or even a medium gray. I would also look at your appliance colors and any furniture in the room. (01/12/2010)

By Allison5

I wouldn't use chocolate brown as I worry it would be too dark for a kitchen. If there isn't much wall to be painted and if there are enough white cabinets to offset the dark of the wall, I'd say go ahead and do that. I once saw an episode of Sell this House on A and E TV in which the decorator used black on the walls of the kitchen.

I once read an article in Better Homes and Gardens magazine about bathrooms with colored fixtures. My tub and other fixtures are blue. It suggested a khaki color for the walls of the bath. To me, it looked like an army green color, brownish green. It had a little olive in it. You may want to consider that color.

I think I'd use a lighter brown like beige for the walls and save the dark brown for accents. I prefer brown with the blue rather than the grey someone else has suggested. But, I agree with you that a neutral is required for this situation. Best wishes always. (01/13/2010)

By Carol in PA

What about a peach or terra cotta shade? If that isn't your taste, how about a light, bright green? It's not the first thing most people would think of, but check out some decorating magazines and I'll bet you see that combination somewhere. (01/13/2010)

By Beth

How about an turquoise or blue-green? I also think the chocolate brown would work. (01/13/2010)

By elle1972

A warm tone to balance the dusky blue would be best. You said no to yellow, but maybe a buttery beige or off white would be better. (01/14/2010)

By tracesof

January 11, 2010 Flag

I have countertops that are sky blue. I want to change the color of my walls which are also blue. My cabinets are a honey natural oak. What should I go with for wall colors?

By Christine 85 from Columbus, OH

Answers:

How about a soft yellow on the walls or a light sage green? If the room is small, white would be good. Can you see other rooms from the kitchen like the dining room or family room? What colors are those walls? (04/03/2009)

By OliveOyl

I like the yellow idea, too! All of my walls are a color that looks off white with the sun shining but very, very pale yellow when it's not so light out. Sage green is a very popular color now and a very light one would be nice. If you're daring (I'm not) you could paint one wall a darker shade of something, but I'd stick with light colors. (04/03/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

If you have enough light in the room, you could try a dark smoky blue. I have similar colors in my kitchen (light blue walls, white cabinets), and I'm considering painting the table this dark blue color. (04/03/2009)

By RachelC

You know what I like with blue? A citrus green! But maybe a light version of it. If you did walls that color, then you could accent with the same color in some kitchen towels and accessories. The yellow sounds good, too, if it is the right yellow. Sometimes yellow is deceiving though and it is difficult to get just the right shade. (04/07/2009)

By Laniegirl

I have the same color countertop in my laundry room and I had been thinking of trying Granitex to cover it up. Yesterday I painted the laundry room "Twilight Fever" by Valspar. If you go to their website you can see the color. I couldn't be happier! Now I actually like the countertops too! It's that bluish, pinkish, purplish color of the sky right before it gets dark. I was afraid it might be too dark for a small room but it's beautiful! (04/07/2009)

By Bethmom1961

I have seen yellow done with blue countertops an it looks good. Also a peachy/terra cotta color would look good. What I love about this website is that people bring up things I never would have thought about, like the citrus green. Now I can picture things I have seen combining the two colors and I think it would be great! Don't limit yourself based on convention! (04/08/2009)

By Beth

April 3, 2009 Flag

I want to redo my kitchen. It was a theme of strawberries, I am tired of it. The wallpaper is coming down and I want to paint but don't know what color.

Home and Garden Home Improvement Decorating Paint Color AdviceSeptember 5, 2010
A nice kitchen with granite countertops and white cabinets.
Coordinating Granite Countertops With Kitchen Cabinets
painted formica countertops
Painting a Formica Countertop
Nice Countertops
Protecting Your Countertops
Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
Growing Baby Blue Eyes (California Blue Bells)
🎄