Paint Color AdviceDecorating

Painting a Kitchen with Blue Countertops

In my kitchen the walls are a light yellowish white. The counter tops are a dark blue granite, but the cabinets are white. I am trying to change the wall color. What color would look good?

By Amanda

Bright yellow would certainly add color. A brighter than the counter tops blue might work or blue and white stripes. With white cabinets, you really have many choices. What color do you like? Try that. I can see almost any color working here, but do a small sample first, and, please, not a white ceiling unless your cabinets touch the ceiling. Since kitchens usually don't have much wall space, you can change it easily if you aren't happy, or just want a change.

You could paint a light blue, or red, or green that would be a good match to the dark blue. or a rust orange type of color, or brighter yellow on the walls.

I would go with a nice tan. Browns and blues go together and you can go to the local hardware store and use their color design machines.

You put in the room, the cabinet colors and counter tops, and click on the walls and then a color and you can see the combo before you buy the paint.

Good luck!

In one of the archived posts you might find the person who recommended a bright light green. At first this might seem odd, but I have seen it in pictures and it is very refreshing. Of course, you have to consider the type of home you have and your personal style. If you want something with pizzazz, go green. If you want something calmer, try tan.

I was looking at this because we are checking out a house right now that house royal blue countertops and burgandy paint on the walls. YUCK! My first thought was the countertops need to go, but I think I can work with them. I would choose a pale yellow or tan. I like to keep things looking fresh, clean and OPEN. I am not a fan of dark or bright colors in the kitchen. Especially since yours appears to be small. Good luck to you!

I have white oak cabinets and blue countertops. My appliances are white. Right now my walls are white and I would like to repaint with another color and get a new floor. What color should I paint the walls and what color tile should I get for the floor?

By Millie from MD

Answers:

Blue, white, and a soft brown are so pretty! Whatever you choose, take a shot and share it with us? Good luck! (03/13/2010)

By Poor But Proud

I have white cabinets in the kitchen with blue countertops (not navy and not baby blue, but country blue) and natural wood floors. What would be a good paint color for the walls (not yellow)? I was thinking a chocolate brown.

By Hulet from Alberta, Canada

Answers:

You could go with a light brown, taupe, or even a medium gray. I would also look at your appliance colors and any furniture in the room. (01/12/2010)

By Allison5

I wouldn't use chocolate brown as I worry it would be too dark for a kitchen. If there isn't much wall to be painted and if there are enough white cabinets to offset the dark of the wall, I'd say go ahead and do that. I once saw an episode of Sell this House on A and E TV in which the decorator used black on the walls of the kitchen.

I once read an article in Better Homes and Gardens magazine about bathrooms with colored fixtures. My tub and other fixtures are blue. It suggested a khaki color for the walls of the bath. To me, it looked like an army green color, brownish green. It had a little olive in it. You may want to consider that color.

I think I'd use a lighter brown like beige for the walls and save the dark brown for accents. I prefer brown with the blue rather than the grey someone else has suggested. But, I agree with you that a neutral is required for this situation. Best wishes always. (01/13/2010)

By Carol in PA

What about a peach or terra cotta shade? If that isn't your taste, how about a light, bright green? It's not the first thing most people would think of, but check out some decorating magazines and I'll bet you see that combination somewhere. (01/13/2010)

By Beth

How about an turquoise or blue-green? I also think the chocolate brown would work. (01/13/2010)

By elle1972

A warm tone to balance the dusky blue would be best. You said no to yellow, but maybe a buttery beige or off white would be better. (01/14/2010)

By tracesof

I have countertops that are sky blue. I want to change the color of my walls which are also blue. My cabinets are a honey natural oak. What should I go with for wall colors?

By Christine 85 from Columbus, OH

Answers:

How about a soft yellow on the walls or a light sage green? If the room is small, white would be good. Can you see other rooms from the kitchen like the dining room or family room? What colors are those walls? (04/03/2009)

By OliveOyl

I like the yellow idea, too! All of my walls are a color that looks off white with the sun shining but very, very pale yellow when it's not so light out. Sage green is a very popular color now and a very light one would be nice. If you're daring (I'm not) you could paint one wall a darker shade of something, but I'd stick with light colors. (04/03/2009)

By Glenn'sMom

If you have enough light in the room, you could try a dark smoky blue. I have similar colors in my kitchen (light blue walls, white cabinets), and I'm considering painting the table this dark blue color. (04/03/2009)

By RachelC

You know what I like with blue? A citrus green! But maybe a light version of it. If you did walls that color, then you could accent with the same color in some kitchen towels and accessories. The yellow sounds good, too, if it is the right yellow. Sometimes yellow is deceiving though and it is difficult to get just the right shade. (04/07/2009)

By Laniegirl

I have the same color countertop in my laundry room and I had been thinking of trying Granitex to cover it up. Yesterday I painted the laundry room "Twilight Fever" by Valspar. If you go to their website you can see the color. I couldn't be happier! Now I actually like the countertops too! It's that bluish, pinkish, purplish color of the sky right before it gets dark. I was afraid it might be too dark for a small room but it's beautiful! (04/07/2009)

By Bethmom1961

I have seen yellow done with blue countertops an it looks good. Also a peachy/terra cotta color would look good. What I love about this website is that people bring up things I never would have thought about, like the citrus green. Now I can picture things I have seen combining the two colors and I think it would be great! Don't limit yourself based on convention! (04/08/2009)

By Beth

I want to redo my kitchen. It was a theme of strawberries, I am tired of it. The wallpaper is coming down and I want to paint but don't know what color. I would like to get rid of my big table and chairs because you have to go around to go through the back door. My kitchen is small and there is very little room.

I have a small counter top in the middle which I would like to get rid of and replace with a big island with chairs for seating. My cabinets are a dark walnut and they will stay. My countertop is baby blue in color and it will stay. My floor is white squares with tulip designs with blues and burgundy. The floor will stay for now. My appliances are stainless steel and black. I do not want to get rid of appliances. Help! I would love ideas.

Liz from Meredosia, IL

Answers:

Painting a Kitchen with Blue Contertops

I think a shade of green would look really good. It would tie all the other colors together. (01/07/2009)

By Amie

Painting a Kitchen with Blue Contertops

First - the baby blue countertop! Both my girlfriend and I have painted our countertops. Sand down lightly, use a tack cloth to get rid of dust, and paint. I suggest using acrylics and maybe a sponge for sponge painting (no lines will show). If you sponge with 5 different colors and really blend, it'll be as beautiful as a new counter. I used the Ceramcoat acrylics in the hobby store (Michaels) for the alternate colors. I bought a small pint for the base color. Then varnish with marine varnish -- at the very least, 3 coats (with fine sanding in between). I've moved since doing mine but girlfriend's is still in use after 9 years! (01/07/2009)

By Amandasgramma

I'd paint with a pale yellow and bring in accents of sage green and even some deep red. This combination of colors would create warmth while working with the cool tone of your blue countertops. If you could find/make curtain valances to match in a print fabric utilizing all these (a plaid, stripe, floral, or even a fun polka dot!). Then bring in solid colored accents (canisters, throw rugs, dishtowels, potted plants, etc), it would really be lovely. A hanging basket of silk flowers (geraniums, tulips, and pansies are cheerful) might bring in color while freeing up counter space in your small kitchen. You might even be able to tie in any green/red accents you already have from your strawberry theme to save even more money! (01/14/2009)

By sigma28

I agree with the sage green idea. You could also use a maroon or a wine something, near to those colors. I would not do the yellow though with the counter tops being the shade of blue they are. Also, you could while you are at it, buy some new hardware for your cupboards. If you are really feeling energetic you could buy some strips of wood matching your cupboards and measure half-way up your walls and paint the top half one color and the bottom half another.

You can also consider a border for around the top of your kitchen or the middle (instead of the wood). Then go with a color in it to paint your kitchen. This is a good and very helpful way to be sure of the colors you could use and help's a lot in helping to find colors you might like. You can also consider going to a paint store and picking up booklet's they have for free, which can show you a variety of color's that go together in a kitchen. You might also look at wallpaper, and the colors on them to see if you see anything that you like in colors that you might use, of course using paint instead. And then you could also redo the cupboard's in a color to compliment your kitchen. Oh, you could have a good time with your kitchen! There are decals you can put on your walls. Just rub them on and spray a sealer on which you can buy at a craft shop or paint store.

You have many options available to you at this time. Take your time in finding the right color, however make sure you really love it before you put it on the wall. To be sure you can try the colors on the wall first. Also, if you just paint your kitchen and you do not want to do a lot of work you can always find painting's and hang them on the wall's. Let them be the decorations on your walls so you will have that homey feeling everyone loves! Good luck and have fun! I have to do my kitchen too and I can not wait to get started! Have fun. Darlene (01/14/2009)

By Darlene

I'm also voting for pale yellow. It will give it a French country flare. Hang a few thrift shop blue and white patterned plates on the wall. I don't mean like a set, but the ones that have pictures on them of places. Your cabinets will pop against that color. I have a pale yellow in my mud room and I just love it. It's always cheerful, even on cloudy days. (01/14/2009)

By HaleyP

Yellow was the first color that came to mind. (01/15/2009)

By Maryeileen