OtherCrafts

Framing Pressed Wild Flowers

How do you dry and press wild flowers for framing? There are so many wild flowers in my area, that I thought how could I preserve them into making nice gifts by putting them in frames. Thanks ahead!

Amy from Camden, NY

hi amy:-)

you are lucky to have so many wild flowers available!:-) most will press easily in a book!:-) phone books are good or any book with absorbent pages. stacks of paper towels work too. when you have them all laid out, put a weight on them and leave them alone for a week or so. if you want them to dry more quickly, put them in a hot car for a day. magic happens!:-)...in no time you will have beautifully pressed flowers:-). if you have more questions you can reach me here. http://www. flowerox. com

(remove spaces) good luck and have fun:-)

rebekah:-)

Just to add to rebekah, I also use her method. However, I don't always like the flowers too flat. I heard you can use thick stack of newspaper, might be good to use paper towel in between to protect from newsprint. Test different weights until you get the look you want. This leaves some dimension to the flowers. Remember not to squeeze them between the picture frame glass and backing. Scrapbooking foam tabs will help with that. Good luck..

What kind of adhesive do you use to glue the pressed flowers onto the picture? I am interested to find one that isn't too messy and that leaves the flowers looking unbruised. Thanks.

c johnson @ telusplanet. net

(remove spaces)

A way to not have 'flat' flowers is to put them in a container of fine, dry, silica sand (very white). I can't remember how long they take to dry out, but they look more natural, container must have an airtight lid. My grandmother was into pressed flowers in a big way, just about every thing newsprint was put to use, another favorite was in a thin newsprint booklet under a frequently walked on mat! Fine seaweed works well too.