Dryer Balls Reviews

Cost: 4.99

They Didn't Soften My Clothing

Review: I bought the dryer balls because, on the commercial, they appear to work great. The stack of towels they show, one with softener, the other used the dryer balls and was twice as fluffy as the softener pile. My towels came out of the dryer feeling like sandpaper, and all the clothing had to be re-rinsed and dried a second time. I threw the packaging away or I would have returned them to the store. In my opinion they were garbage. Fun cat toys though LOL.

By Sandy from Pittsburgh, PA

They Saved Me Money

Review: I'm recommending a new product, Dryer Balls. They are light blue plastic balls with porcupine spikes all over them. You get 2 of them in a package for $9.14 at your local Walmart supercenter, up by the registers. They are supposed to save you money on your clothes drying bill. They have a 2 year guarantee. All you have to do is take the cash register receipt and tape it to the package like I did and store it away.

Anyway, I have used them many times and at first I tracked my savings. I am no mathematician, but by my calculations, I get every 5th load dried for free! They are also supposed to take the place of fabric softener, but I didn't use it in the first place, so it didn't apply to me. Worth the money in my book.

By Lori from Marion, AR Read more reviews and feedback below.

I put my washing machine on the spin cycle a few times to spin out as much water out of the clothes as possible and they dry very fast in the dryer and on the line.

Zig

I, too, purchased the Dryer Balls. I love them. I did have to get over the sound at first, but they do fluff things and leave everything just as soft as with softener or dryer sheets.

I put mine in the washer for the full cycle and they help agitate the dirt out. watch out for stray dogs in the home grabbing them when they hit the laundry basket. they disappear as bounce balls. lol

Would this have the same effect as using tennis balls in the dryer? They help to dry them, not sure if they soften or not, didn't not notice. Do these you are talking about leave a scent of fabric softener? How long are they good?

Thanks

De

i put a already dry bathtowel in with the damp load and it makes drying time less.

I use dryer balls and have for some time now. I think they are great and they have already saved me money. I also love the fact that they are chemical free and hypoallergenic. My Dryer Magic Dryer Balls are guaranteed to last for years so you can't really go wrong with a $10.00 price tag. There are many brands of dryer balls out there, but I got mine at http://www.simplygoodstuff.com and they work fantastic. You should try them for yourself. - http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/dryer_magic-dryerballs.htm

I have 2 dryer balls--really like them!! I also added 2 tennis balls in the mix, that seemed to dry the items faster!!

I do still have to use softener and 1/2 dryer sheets--I'm not sure if that is because of us having hard water, since my mom has them too and loves them and she doesn't need to use any of those products anymore.

But, I would recommend them!! It helps cut down the drying time---but I would purchase 4 balls!! and leave the tennis balls on the court.

I really don't like the dryer balls at all. I didn't find that they "softened" the clothes like it stated in the commercial, nor did it "fluff" them like it showed on the commercial with the two stacks of towels side by side. One of the balls split open and I threw it out because I was afraid that it would snag the clothes. I am going to continue to use the other one until it falls apart too, but, I won't be buying any replacements.

I have been using the dryer balls now for a year. I like them, but they do not work as advertised. Towels are not fluffier and I still use fabric softner. The reason I like them is they seem to keep the clothes moving around a lot better when drying, especially when doing small loads. They move in and out of the clothes helping to dry them better and a little faster. They are not miracle balls. I have soft water...but still need to use a little liquid fabric softner to get clothes soft. I have a gas dryer now, but had an electric dryer until a month ago. I have not seen a difference in the outcome with gas from electric. I would recommend them just to keep your clothes moving and not getting stuck to the dryer drum, when doing small loads. My first set of dyer balls lasted a year and now I am on the second set...using four dyer balls at a time. I purchased a front load waster and dryer a month ago after moving into our new home...and they work the same in the front load as well as my other dryer.

I think they are a joke. All they seem to be good at is making a racket in the dryer.

I bought the newest dryer balls (pink and blue) I liked using them. I have only had them four months and one of them broke open so I am not happy at all with them now.

I am in Canada and they were suppose to have a 5year guarantee. and these cost 15.00.

*WARNING* Don't waste your money or time thinking they will work. If you have a clear dryer door, you will see they spin at the same spin as the rest of your clothes and they don't work. They make your dryer loud! My shirts came out looking...well, like I didn't use softener! The clothes were wrinkled and not soft. I got gypped!

Use few tennis balls instead. They are better for fluffing Duvets, blankets and towels. This is a marketing gimmick.

I can't complain about this product. Yes they make a racket. No they don't replace fabric softener - unless you like static. BUT they considerably speed up drying time. They are a bit fidgety and climb into sleeves and pillowcases, but I only paid £1 for them at a car boot sale and have saved a fortune in drying bills.

Do you have to use 2 of them? I bought one because the package only came with one!

Just echoing a few others...these do save time drying. In my case 15 minutes per load and that's significant. I don't have any issues with static and the softness or fluffiness is no different.

Two balls at once are recommended to answer an earlier comment. I actually have heard of people putting them in their washers which seems like it would reduce lifespan and not sure what good that would do...the point of them is to move with the clothes and keep air flowing through them.

Overall I'd recommend. Just doesn't necessarily live up to advertising hype but saves an hour of dry time a week and that saves me time and utility bills. I'm all for that!

I tried the dryer balls before and they ruined my in-laws dryer, the balls melted inside the dryer and almost caught the dryer on fire. I will never use dryer balls again, my clothes came out smelling like mold and they were not fluffy at all. This is why I'm sticking to my dryer sheets.

December 10, 2012 Flag

I am thinking of buying Dryer Max dryer balls. It says on the package that they soften fabric naturally and cut drying time, and are hypoallergenic and reusable. They work by tumbling in the dryer to lift and separate laundry allowing hot air to flow more efficiently. The tips massage fabrics to naturally fluff up and soften without the use of chemicals. Does anybody know if these dryer balls really work?

By zxcv

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have a friend who said that they don't. Some folks use tennis balls or even tightly wadded foil for 1/10th the price.

Hope this helps. PBP

I have an old pair of 'best friend' tennis shoes from the 80's that I could no longer use because so worn they hurt my feet but couldn't bear to part with them so I washed them and have used them since then to throw in the dryer with my clothes for fluffing. I've heard from others that two or three tennis balls also does the trick.

I've never used the 'purchased' balls, nor do I use dryer sheets or chemical softners of any form. I use tennis balls with small loads, just to keep the clothes from clumping. I also use aluminum foil. I make a loose ball and throw it in the dryer. It does keep static cling down and after a while I end up with a tightly formed ball of foil which I then recycle. I buy the cheapest foil I can and tear off about a 3 foot length and, again, loosely form a ball and toss in the dryer - lasts about 3-4 loads.

I have two, and like them. I don't use them when I am drying delicates, but they really work on towels, with which one should not use dryer sheets (absorbency issue). By using the balls, one need never buy foil, etc. They are reusable "forever."

I have used them for a few years, and I quite like them. I use them with everything. I do not use dryer sheets any more. I find the balls work just as well as the sheets. However, they do wear out. I am on my second set. Eventually, they just fall apart. However, I think they are good value and do a good job. I got mine at a discount store and paid very little for them - maybe $5 for a set? I recommend them.

I have used these balls (once). They are too loud while the dryer is working and I am afraid they will damage the drum. I just use a cup of vinegar in the final rinse water of the washer and works very well when you put them in the dryer.

I bought some of the dryer balls and found out after using them for a while the little projections on the balls started falling off. I bought a can of 3 tennis balls and use them in my dryer now and they work as well as the more expensive dryer balls. I just leave them in the dryer and they are always there when I dry a load of clothes.

Consumer Advice Product Reviews House and Home Laundry AidsAugust 3, 2006
A pile of yellow tennis balls.
Saving Money on Tennis Balls
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
sheep wool dryer balls
Homemade Wool Dryer Balls
Dryer Sheets
Are Dryer Sheets Safe for Birds?
🎉
🎄