Puppy Wants to Sleep in Our Bed

I have a pit bull pup. My brother had her first and he let her sleep with him. Now she won't stop crying and barking unless she sleeps with us. But she pees on the foot of my bed. Help?

Stephanie from Crossville, TN

She needs to be crated -- away from your bedroom -- during the night, with a nice warm blanket and maybe a soft radio station or even the television to keep her company. In time, the radio or TV can be eliminated, as she grows up and becomes more comfortable. If you succumb to her whining, you will have a little tyrant on your hands (not to mention a ruined mattress!) You need to show her she is safe and cared for but not the boss of the house. Good luck with that!

I agree with Belzin. You need to be in control SOON or you'll be on the wrong end of the leash!

I have been watching and reading about a method.. cesar millan. he is on National Geographic, the show called the dog whisperer.. he is great.. my 3 dogs have completely changed.. if you google his name you will find his website with a lot of great tips.. he mostly says you are the boss and the dog wants to belong to a pack, so making them do things on your terms is the key.

Belzin is most right here. Especially with a Pit Bull let me tell you we have 3 of them and they can get balky and need to show them that you are the boss early on or they will take their little paws and keep walking all over you LOL :) but as fun as it is to have puppy with you in bed, it is best for now to do as Belzin says and even a wind up clock with the alarm off of course is very soothing for a young puppy as it reminds them of mommies heartbeat, so put that under the blanket near her to cuddle with. They will go right to sleep with it :) Hope that helps too. And wear ear plugs they don't give up they will try and try to get your attention with whining! :)

When I got my puppy I didn't want to buy a crate for the downstairs and one for the upstairs. I had an old pack-n-play that I set up in our bedroom. I put some old towels down in it for her bedding. I feel that if a dog is going to be part of the family they need to be with you at night. As long as they can smell that you are in the room they will sleep better. Every night I took her out to relieve herself right before we went upstairs. I put her in her "bed." when the room was dark so that she had less of a chance of figuring out how to get out.

Then I got into my bed. If she whined I firmly said, "No." or made a commanding sound like Cesar Milan, the dog whisperer. This would stop her. Dogs do not like to soil their den or bed so this also helped to housebreak her. She is 9 months old now and is still convinced that I need to lift her up out of the pack-n-play because she can't get out by herself. All she would have to do is jump. Perhaps you could get a pack-n-play or an old playpen at a thrift store. You do need to stop letting the dog sleep on your bed. In order for her to stop peeing where she is not supposed to she needs her own space that is contained for her to sleep.

When she is older and housebroken, then she can sleep beside the bed. Be patient and shower her with love when she goes outside first thing in the morning and very soon she will get the idea. Best wishes.

Belzin has the answer right there. Our little pup, now 8 years later would go into her travel carrier at night, or even when no one was able to hold her in the house. MY RULE.

Allie would cry. The boys put on Country music for her. She would cry. I put the Great Masters CD in and she shut up. Also put a teddy bear in with her and a blanket. She would be bathed at night (a cleansing rinse) like a baby, hubby wrapped her in her blanket and rocked her. Into her crate she would go, music on, AND I covered her crate with a light piece of fabric.

NOW, 8 years later, she IS my footwarmer. And the house's best friend. The whining she does now is when it is time to go to bed and I am not ready.

Hi. I also wanted to add the following. Do not give into her whining. Puppies are like small children. When you give into unwanted behavior, you are telling them that they can get their way if they just keep it up. Eventually you will have a dog that you do not enjoy and is nothing but annoying. Puppy Preschool is an excellent book that really helped me.

She views you as her mom and wants you. to make her comfortable wear an old shirt for a day and then put it in her bed with her and she will smell you and be comforted. Please do not be harsh with her all animals(even humans) are animals of conditioning meaning we do the same things over and over hence bedtime has always been in bed. Take some time and recondition your friend. Good luck.

Pets Dogs AdviceFebruary 12, 2009
Cleaning Pillows
Cleaning Bed Pillows
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
Iron Framed Bed
Fixing a Squeaky Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎄