Free Yarn and Other Craft Supplies for a Nursing Home

A friend and I volunteer at our local nursing home and we need yarn, embroidery floss, hoops, plastic canvas, and needles. So, if anyone has extra and would like to donate or has suggestions for where we can procure donations, please help. I almost forgot knitting needles and crochet hooks are needed as well.
Thank you!

By Debbie

Well Debbie, I would suggest you try Hobby Lobby. Find out if they would be willing to make a donation from their corporate office. You can also try other hobby stores in your area if you don't have a hobby lobby. Most companies can use the tax write off.

Your second option is ask the Goodwills in your area for donations. Some have hobby supplies and some don't (and I have been in many Goodwills so I know).

Another thing you can do is ask the local churches to request donations from their congregation for the materials you could use. Make sure when you ask the churches that they know you are looking for the craft supplies and not money. You would be surprised that most churches would be more willing to help gather supplies than acquire the money for them. To make your request more believable you can tell churches they can deliver supplies right to the nursing home or you can pick them up. Ask the nursing home if this is OK and if they want a particular name on deliveries so they know where the stuff goes. Your effort is more believable to the church people if they have a name from someone at the home that can verify your purpose.

Put up signs in Nursing Home for donations from visitors. Put an add in the local paper. Hope this helps. Happy Easter! Karen :D

I have oddball yarn scraps if you are interested in them. They range from large balls to tiny balls of yarn.

Hi Debbie,

I realize you posted this message awhile ago. I use to do a lot of crocheting however, my husband and I are moving and I cannot take the yarn to our new home. I have boxes of yarn and would very much like to give it to someone who will use it for a good cause.

Please let me know if you are interested.

Thanks!!!!

Colorful yarn on a shelf.
Finding Free Craft Supplies for Charity Projects
Better Living Charity AdviceApril 17, 2011
elderly man with a gift
Valentine's Day Gifts Ideas for a Nursing Home
Two elderly women playing dominos.
Nursing Home Games Ideas
Nursing Home Gift Basket
Nursing Home Gift Basket Ideas
Elderly Woman doing needle work
Craft Ideas for Nursing Home Patients
🎉
🎄