Removing Gasoline Smell from Carpet

How do I get gasoline out of carpet?

By Gary S.

By Frugal Sunnie 11 1,697 Flag

Gary, I hate to tell you this, but the only way to get the gasoline smell out of carpet is to remove the carpet, and it is a safety issue as well. Gasoline spilled onto carpet is a fire hazard that never goes away.

If the petrol smell is in your car and you haven't spilled petrol to your recollection, you may have a bigger problem, btw. I owned a car in the States back in the late eighties and for over a year thought my then husband has spilled petrol in the car carrying the gas can for the lawn mower.

Finally the smell (which I'd tried to remove with cleaners, baking soda, vinegar, etc) was noticed by a mechanic friend of my husband. He insisted on having a look, and guess what he found? A hairline crack in the fuel tank.

Made a 'Guardian Angel' believer out of my then husband, let me tell you!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Home and Garden Cleaning CarpetJuly 6, 2011
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
A package of cornmeal.
Dry Carpet Cleaner Recipes
Someone using a carpet cleaner.
Homemade Carpet Shampoo Recipes
Disposing of Old Gasoline, Red gas can.
Disposing of Old Gasoline
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet, Upclose photo of carpet.
Repairing a Burn Hole in Carpet
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 13, 2016 at 9:12:21 AM on 10.0.0.68 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings