Think Before Throwing Out

I have to admit, I never throw anything out before giving the item some deep thought on what I could use it for. I have a terrific husband who always asks me if I can use an item before throwing it away! This is my story on what I did with leftover linoleum.

After laying linoleum down in our laundry room, I found that we had a good size piece left. Hmmm, I found my mind wandering - I just knew I could use it for something. Then the light bulb came on over my head. I had been wanting a floor cloth for an area in one of my rooms, but after much hunting I found they were very hard to come by and also very expensive.

Linoleum is very easy to cut using a good pair of scissors. Any shape and size can be made. I cut mine to a 4 x 6 foot piece. I flipped it over to the white back side and primed it. Once dried, I painted it. Then I did 3 coats of clear varnish, letting each coat dry thoroughly. I was so pleased with the end result! You can use them on any hard surface floor. I keep mine in place by just putting a piece of sticky tac (otherwise known as poster putty) under each corner.This is removable and repositionable. The floor cloths are easily cleaned by just a spray of Windex and paper towels.

I have since made many, many more of all sizes and shapes for myself, family, and friends. I made a town with roads for my grandson and included match box cars. He loved it! I even got ambitious and made a 12 x 12 foot one for my screened in porch. I painted comical insects and dragonflies on that one.

Even if one feels they can't paint, after priming, you can trace with pencil, pictures from coloring books, or other sources. I have even made place mats. I now purchase remnant rolls from home stores. This is a fun project for kids also. Just pre-prime the linoleum for them and let them paint their own pictures. They last for years and make a great keepsake.

By Mary from Palm Coast, FL

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Top Comment

An amazing job! I love your idea, it's great! I really love your Wine one. I can't wait to give this a try, myself. I am not anywhere as talented as drawing as you are, but I am good at faking it. It's midnight while I am looking at this and I can't wait to get to Home Depot or a flooring store. lol I'll post a picture in a few weeks to let you see how inspired I was. Thanks again, Mary and Frugal Life.

Laura

Top Comment

I want to say thanks for all the wonderful comments and I hope you all will give this a try. Don't sell yourself short on your talents and you can always paint one with just designs or trace a picture and paint it.

Laura, I am so excited that you are going to try this. It is addictive and you will find yourself coming up with another idea while you're still working on one! The possibilities are endless. I have included a picture of a 4"x4" one that my granddaughter painted.This one was for us and it's of our truck. She said they are coasters and made 10 of them for family members, each with a different picture she painted. She had a great time doing it and 3 years later, we still have ours. It's a keepsake and it tickles her that we still have it.

Please send picture when (notice I didn't say "IF") you make one. I would love to see it. Go get it girl!

Top Comment

I've done a lot of crafting, but this one will be new to me. Yours are very nicely done, and so bright and cheerful. Thanks for a great craft idea and easy-to-follow instructions.

Pookarina

Top Comment

This is one of the best I have seen since I started. You really do have a talent and must keep it safe and then share it to the world! I am serious!

PBP

Top Comment

I am going to have to go get some linoleum now! Thanks for the wonderful tip, it is so inspiring, my mind is starting to go over all the ways I can use this amazing tip!

Blessings, Robyn

Wow, frugal or not, you're a very talented painter! Thanks for sharing.

Wow is right. I can craft fairly well but drawing escapes me. Yours are wonderful. Thanks for sharing.

I love your artwork, and thank you for telling us all how to do it!

That's so creative and that's great that they're durable, too! If you wanted you could sell coasters (maybe back it with felt) and those cute kids road "maps"! I think they'd sell! I wont take your idea! :)

I love this idea, and your designs! I have a technical question; what kind of primer and what kind of paint works best on linoleum? I'm sure the type of primer and paint is important to the project's success. Thanks for sharing!

Awesome! You are so talented and clever. This could be a career for you.

This is a great idea. I learned it on the Carol Duvall show over fifteen years ago and have made several. She had a great show!

Wow, this is awesome. Do you put something on the finished product to seal it?

What talent! You could certainly have quite a business if you wanted to do this!

Love this idea! Do you have a picture of your larger one with the dragonflies? Also what kind of varnish do you use? Anne

I'm not that creative but I've lined my cabinets with it. Easy to wipe clean.

A pile of antiques piled together.
Trash to Treasure
Better Living Frugal Living My Frugal LifeJanuary 24, 2011
Piggy Bank Surrounded by Money
Adding Up the Savings of a Frugal Life
Homemade Valentine's Day Candy
Valentine's Day Candy Recipes
Jeans with torn knee.
Patching Knees on Pants
Glass Bottles on Garden Path
From Trash to Garden Treasure
🎉
🎄