Breed Information: Siberian Husky

Breed Description: The Siberian Husky is a quick and athletic dog with a moderately compact build and a smooth, effortless gait. This intelligent breed is friendly and gentle and usually bonds more deeply with one person in the family. This breed is an independent thinker and can be a bit stubborn at a time. Still, if properly trained the Siberian Husky makes a great companion for the whole family and has a natural affinity for children.

Group: Working Group.

Purpose of Breed: Pulling sleds

Country of Origin: Siberia, Russia.

Average Size: Ranges from 20-23 1/2 inches tall and 35 to 60 pounds.

Color(s): Any color from black to pure white. Masks on the face are common.

Coat Type: A double coat consisting of a soft, dense downy undercoat and a dense, smooth and soft outer coat of medium length hair.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder and requires routine brushing-even more so when it fully sheds its coat (at least once per year). Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: Siberian Huskies make good house dogs. A fenced yard and plenty of exercise are crucial for this energetic breed.

Temperament: The Siberian Husky is very friendly and gentle and although he will show affection to his entire family, he is really a one-man dog. Not naturally suspicious of strangers, the Siberian does not make a good watch dog. These dogs have a tendency to dig and an innate need to run and pull. They are not suitable for homes that want to retain perfect landscaping, and they need to be kept either confined or controlled at all times. This dog also has a strong predatory instinct and other small family pets may at times seem like prey. This dog has an excellent temperament and lives well as a pack dog.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to epilepsy, hip dysplasia, obesity and eye problems.

Life Expectancy: Averages 11-13 years.

Trivia: In 1925 in the city of Nome, Alaska, dog teams of Siberian Huskies led heroic "serum runs" during an epidemic outbreak of Diphtheria.

More Information: Siberian Husky Club of America, Inc.

My husband and I once owned a female Sibe. We purchased her from a breeder in Savannah, Georgia and named her Savannah. Although she had a good temperament, she must have been dropped on her head when she was born. She was absolutely the dumbest dog I have ever owned in my life! I worked with her every day but all I ever got was a sit. She wouldn't even respond to her own name.

We nicknamed her 'catdog' because she was just like a cat. Very aloof and independant of everything and everyone. Even as an adult dog, she had an insatiable desire to chew everything. She was crate trained but when she was in the house with us, she would sneak into the kitchen quietly like a cat and she chewed the drywall off of the kitchen walls. It wasn't because of a poor diet or lack of chew toys. I blame it on the lack of exercise that is required for these dogs. I walked her every day for about 45 min to an hour but being a sled dog, she needed to run and run and run. I finally had to find her a new home on a farm where she had a lot of freedom.

If anyone is considering aquiring this breed, PLEASE do your homework!!! If you can't exercise this dog the way it needs to be exercised, you are in for a lot of frustration and heartache when you have to give the dog up. This is NOT a lap dog, it is NOT a lazy dog and it WILL find ways to release pent-up energy.

Thousands of dollars later, we found that out AND we had to give up a dog that we loved and raised from a puppy.

I have a husky and he is independent and stubborn, but he has no problems. He is a little older, about to be 4 years, and he has learned a few things. Everything improved last year when we got another dog for him to play with. Before this he was a chewer of walls as well! But the other dog has improved him completely. I wouldn't trade him for any other breed and plan on getting another one later on. I love the breed. He is devoted to me like it says and that he isn't a guard dog. But nonetheless we love him. I would recommend him to pretty much anyone!

I have a Siberian Husky/German Shepherd mix. Her name is Kita. She just turned a year old on May 21st. She is the most beautiful dog, but from day one she has been a bad digger. She doesn't just dig a little bit, if you saw our yard, you would think that a land mine went off!! To stop this we got her like a plastic swimming pool that I filled up with dirt. Well, this was okay for awhile. We could not get her tp stop after that. As it turns out, because it was summertime, she just got so hot with all that thick hair of hers that she was just trying to cool down. I decided to put water and ice cubes in that plastic pool and since I have done that, she has not dug ONCE since!!! So if you happen to have a diggin problem with your dog in the summer...this is a great experiment to try!

I have to concur with the breed needs exercise. I have always had german shepherds and went through a divorce and lost both of my shepherd girls, so I adopted a chephered/husky mix...and to top it off he is male...what a difference. He is headstong, dominant, and well just devious. It is funny that you say your s was not smart...this dog is too smart for his own good....opening doors, letting himself out, getting the paper etc....But his energy causes him to eat shoes, carpet etc...Please do the homework on the breed before taking on anything with a hint of husky!!! But, god they are beautiful!!!

i have a husky and he is very independent and extremely stubborn! he only does tricks if im holding food! And i agree with ildyharley, you must do ur research on huskies before getting one! there was soo much for me to learn about huskies i held off getting one for 9 months! i love my husky hes very very social and isnt that dominant around other dogs unless food is in the situation. anyways, great information, i cant see one flaw in it!

i have a german shepherd/siberian husky named grizzly. he is about 3 months old and 30 pounds. his mom was german shepherd, and dad was siberian husky. does anyone know if he will have more german shepherd personality, or a husky personality. it seems like german shepherds and huskys have the most opposite personalities. lol email me at xx_pretzel_xx AT hotmail.com

I want a Siberian Husky..

they look so cool!

I had a malamute growing up with much the same issues. I put a harness on her with a log tied onto it and let her drag it around the yard. She would BEG for me to harness her to that log so she could run with it.

I have a 12 year old husky, and shes beginning to get sick in her old age. She'll be 13 in November. She can't control her bladder anymore, anyone have any input on what it could be? My email address is katie_struc AT hotmail.com Feel free to get back to me if you have any information.

I have a Siberian husky puppy that just turn six months and I wanted to know if he was normal size. I recently saw another lady with a Siberian husky the same age as mine and my dog was twice the size of her dog. He's already bigger than my medium sized dog.

ESTE EN MI AMIGO HERMOZO..

I have a Siberian husky/German shepherd mix. Her mother was a husky and her father was a German shepherd. She is the most gentle dog and absolutely ADORES children! She does need a lot of exercise, but we solve that problem by taking her to a large field with a stream, forest, and lots of space and then just let her run for as long as she wants. It normally takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours but she always comes back. Also, she is an amazing jumper, and routinely hops our 8ft fence if she feels like running around! She's very affectionate and gets along great with other dogs and all sorts of people! I definitely recommend this breed!

When I am older i am gonna get a Siberian husky. iIam starting to do research on it at a young age to know more about them when I am older.

esta es la linda niña de casa!

I have 2 sibes, one is 1 year, 4 months and the other is 7 months. They are beautiful dogs but they are full of energy. I would recommend that anyone who wants a sibe should get 2. They keep each other active which reduces the boredom factor but definitely do your research before you get one. This is my oldest husky at just 8 weeks old, her name is Kia.

I have a husky pup 4/half months he had some kind of fit/seizure the other nite. I am waiting on blood results back on pss portosystemic. Please would really be helpful, if someone knows more about this or has maybe had a dog with it. Thanks

My girls love their new puppy. After the death of their small puppy (whom was attacked by a pit bull), my husband decided to get a bigger breed. This puppy is one of the most friendliest pups I've ever seen. My oldest carries him EVERYWHERE. Our other dog seems to like him as well.

My husband and I have a female siberian husky named "Autumn". She is as everyone else says very independant. She definately does her own thing. I wish I would have done more research on the breed before we purchased her, but wouldn't give her up for anything. We also have a female rottweiler and two 6-8 month old kittens. They all get along fantastic. Autumn is alot like a cat, and have always called her our overgrown cat. She is a huge winer, huge love hog, and loves to cuddle. She is an escape artist. Smartest dog I have ever known, but acts like she is stupid. Conieving. We had her chipped because there are many times she somehow ends up down the street. She needs very little space to escape, kinda like a mouse she can squeeze her body through anything. The only real problem we have with her is she has decided she needs to pee in the house. If we kennel her she can hold it until we get home and let her out ( 9 hours ). But if we leave her run the house she always has an accident in the living room. Or at night we have been putting a diaper on her cause she does it in the middle of the night also. She used to wake us to go outside, but has changed her process to waking us up after she has already gone on the floor. It started after we got the kittens. Guessing there is some connection, but haven't come to an answer for this problem. She will be 5 years in June.

I have a 1 year old Siberian Husky named Shiloh. She was my sister in laws dog then my sister in law moved and couldn't take Shiloh with her so me and my husband gladly took her. Funny thing is, I said I don't want a dog that sheds a lot. Well, now I vacuum everyday and the vacuum is full of hair when i'm done. But, I would not trade her for anything. She is my baby. We do not have kids yet so she is basically our daughter. She loves her walks and just sitting out on our back deck staring into the woods, waiting for a bunny or some kind of animal to come into our yard. She loves anything that moves, animals, bugs, leaves. She will chase leaves on a windy day and its so cute to watch. She does have a major digging problem that we plan on fixing with a shock collar. We have tried everything else and nothing works. She is so spoiled. She gets 3-4 walks a day and whenever she wants to play she will howl "talk" to us until we play. She is very smart and knows what we are saying but just sometimes doesn't want to listen. They say Husky's will only do something if they see a point to it. We have to put a leash on her when she goes in the backyard cause she wont come in and when we try to go bring her in she thinks its a game and runs (she is fast). So the leash gives us something to grab her by. I love her so much. She is my best friend

I have 2 females. One 18months the other 5months. They are very energetic and intelligent. The older female loves to be lazy a few hours a day while the other is always jumping on her trying to start a game. It's quite entertaining watching them. I have a big backyard full of luscious dirt but they don't have a habbit of digging. I recommend you have a paddle pool for your husky in summer avaliable 24/7 as this keeps them kool and distracted for hours. Also if you wish to have a husky and you have done your research please consider getting 2. They will be very happy together and it will in most cases expand their lifespan because it makes them so much happier having another wolf to talk to and share their excitement.

I have a male Siberian husky. He's about 8 months and contrary to many of the other posts about the males he is not to difficult, don't get me wrong he is still very independent but with much patience. He will obey his commands. However I have noticed he has a strong problem with heeling when there is either no leash or slack on the leash. I'm chalking this up to the fact that the breed is meant to pull sleds and there for likes to lead a bit, but if anyone has any tips on how to correct this, please let me know.

I have a 5 year old female siberian husky. She is the absolute most wonderful dog i could ever ask for. She is fully housetrained dosent chew or dig. She does love to play with are cats though. Her only problem really is if she gets out the front door before you could luck catching her. It took me three hours the other day. I am looking for a companion dog for her that is just as gentle and well behaved. I have five kids ranging in age from 17 to 1 and she dosent mind what they do to her at all.

I have a siberian husky, he is super dominant when there are other dogs around. He doesn't play well with other dogs, and is very stubborn. If I try and put him in his kennel when i go to work he makes it seem like he is going to snap at me but he never would but is very defensive. I was just wondering if anyone knew how to get a husky to not be so dominant around other dogs.

I own two female Siberian Husky of 8 months each. I've been having some problems cause they do not learn to go outside and do their needs. I took them to school to train them, but they are kind of stubborn and don't want to learn. Anyhow. I still love them with all my heart...here´s a picture of them. Thanks! If anybody has a suggestion on what could I do about this. Please feel free to contact me at my email address: paticogarcia AT hotmail.com Thanks!

Haha, I just read a few of the posts above and it sounds like a lot of people have trouble with training their Huskies. Here are some tips:

pooping outside/or on a mat.

This takes time and patience. you will have to pick him up and take him to where he needs to do his business every morning as soon as he wakes, 20-30mins after food/drink, after excitement and play. when he starts going, give him a command like 'Get busy'. It took me 3-4 weeks of training my pup and now he will paw me or try to get my attention for when he needs to use the loo.

Training in general. I have only recently read up on the clicker, which I have used on my dad's pup but not my own yet. my dad's pup who is a beagle has learned very quickly 2 new tricks (sit and shake hands) using the clicker. look online/youtube for more info about the clicker. its fun and rewarding for the dog and also the trainer!

If you have any questions feel free to email me at beccahoo@gmail.com

Below is a pic of my Husky who is purely white :D he is adorable and obedient at times and occasionally he will be like "why do you want me to do that for? Phff! /walks away" LOL, but I love him anyway! If we want a awesomely trained pup, we have to first learn to be awesome trainers!

Siberian Husky
Siberian Husky Breed Information and Photos
Pets Dogs Dog Breeds Siberian HuskyApril 6, 2006
Exotic Shorthair Kitten
Exotic Shorthair - Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Poodle Breed Information and Photos
Caesar (Siberian Husky and German Shepherd Mix)
Siberian Husky - German Shepherd Mix Info and Photos
Cat
Identifying the Breed of Your Cat
🎄