Planting Spider Plant Babies

When you want to propagate those baby spiders, you may wonder what to use if you use the method of cutting it off and growing the roots in water. I am doing this all the time with my big spider plant; I give them to my kids, and place them by the bed for my asthmatic husband.

Here's how I do it: I know many of us drink a lot of 20 oz bottles of soda or water, right? Take one of those, and some ordinary scissors, and cut the bottom off at the bottom of the label. To start I pinch the side of the bottle. Or you can use a knife to start it but be careful! Anyway use that bottom to put two or three babies in and fill it with water.

Then I put it on my window sill (north, if it matters I'm not sure) and check to make sure it doesn't run out of water. In a matter of a couple weeks there will be roots. Then you can put it in rich moist soil, and give it a little extra attention until the roots take hold.

Don't worry about how long you keep them in water to grow the roots, the longer you keep it in water the longer the roots get. I haven't had one die in water.

Source: My first plant was a spider plant, my mom had them since as long as I can remember, and 30 years later she still has the same one!

By Pmorse from Georgetown, DE

That's a good idea! I have a couple of large spider plants I keep outside then bring in for the winter. Last Christmas for gifts for the 20 or so ladies at church I planted the "babies" in pretty ceramic cups or mugs I bought at the thrift store or at yard sales and I tied a red ribbon around the cup. They made very nice and inexpensive Christmas gifts!

I just take the feeder/runner, and the new starter on the end, pot it right away. Never NOT started for me. My mama plant is 21 years old. My pothos is 36 years old. I just take a clipping of that and put into good sterile soil as well. Lots of light. This year I brought in the gerbera daisy to see how well it grows. So far so good. In the kitchen with florescent lights on like the sun would be.

Oh my the very forgiving spider plant! I received one as a gift when my youngest son was born (41 yrs ago) I have moved several times since then taking it with me.

It has it's "babies" all over the country. I " saw" the mother plant in half, when it is root bound and end up with two large ones.. Babies have come back after a winter in the ground, friends have the babies, and 3 lg ones hang on my side porch all summer in the Ga. heat with no ill effects ( i do store them in the garage in the winter ) all in all a wonderful plant.

Spider Plant on White Background
Growing Spider Plants
Home and Garden Gardening CuttingsNovember 4, 2009
Spider on web with dew drops on it.
Spider Repellent Recipes
Illustration of two kids in costumes.  A witch and a pirate.
Making a Black Widow Spider Costume
NICU Baby
Donating Items to NICU Babies
Spider Plant
Repotting Spider Plants
🎄