Instead of throwing kitchen sponges away (everyone knows how fast they are loaded with germs)..try this. Wash them in the dishwasher, and then let them zap in the microwave for 2-3 minutes, it will kill 99% of the germs. You will save money, and have a clean healthy kitchen
By Sandra Hummel from Texas
I have been putting mine in the dishwasher for a while now! It works great..what does the microwave do?
No need to put sponges in the dish washer just wet them and place them in the microwave to kill germs.
When I tried to kill those germs in my sponge... it started to burn before the timer went off (in the microwave). Don't know what did it or why. Any ideas?
Microwave or dishwasher do the same. Microwave, if you are not running your dishwasher or need a clean sponge now.
Good Morning American ran a clip on sterilizing sponges in the dishwasher and in the microwave and said that neither method destroyed all the germs. If you Google it, you will find the clip. The way to do it is in a bowl put 2 tbsp bleach to 2 quarts of water. Put sponges in mixture for 2 minutes, rinse. Hope this helps everyone.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!