Use Plastic Tub Under Dish Strainer

I have almost no counter space. I bought a small drainer but realized I didn't have the pan for it. While shopping lately, I came upon this tub for $.25 and thought it might work. Not only does it work, but it works either way. I will use the lid and the tub for crafts or a "bucket" for cleaning supplies under the sink. Hope this helps!

By Sandi from Salem, OR

Now that's thinking outside the box, er, inside the box, Sandi. I've always just used a bath towel folded in thirds but this is a really good idea! :-)

Sandi, I had same problem, no counter space. This came from my sister. I have a dishwasher & don't like to use it, takes forever, In one sink is my soapy water, in the other is cold vinegar rinse water, open the dishwasher-pull out the top rack, wash dishes, rinse, put in your big dish rack. Then wash pots etc. and put them in bottom rack. I let the dishwasher door open a few inches to dry quick. results, shiny dishes, less electric & water but best of all quick and I don't have to be putting away a dish drainer all the time. Try it, so easy. Joanie

I used to use the towel, like my mom, but then I would forget to replace it. I do like the idea of using the dishwasher. I used to use mine for plastics as I just don't like the cost. Thanks!

Bravo Sandy and bdon1 for creative problem solving. I've struggled with a bathroom sink with a securely jammed stopper. Won't go up or down, just stays open a crack. Water drains but too slowly to be usable. To make it worse I'm disabled, living the one legged life. The sink was that way when we bought the place but we've had bigger fish to fry.

It finally occurred to me finally that I had two matching big oval casseroles, light weight microwave stuff. I measured and sure nuff, it fit. Now I use it constantly, sitting at the sink on my lightweight folding stool. Used it yesterday to wash hair and makeup brushes. Easy to fill and empty for multiple loads, and light enough to put back on a high shelf without me landing on the floor in the process.

Someday we'll get the sink fixed but it's way down the list.

Miz Lou: I am glad I could help.

Just a suggestion, have someone look under the sink. You will no doubt find a flat strip of metal with holes in it, and a lever that goes in one, the length down the strip depending on the size of the sink, they can be universal in design.

Sometimes, that lever is stuck, in the wrong hole, or rusted. But in the mean time, your idea is stellar!

Here is a link to help. ... 38l0l14l13l1l1l1l0l250l2106l1.3.7l11

Hope that helps!

Another thing that works well when you don't have a tray is to use the top off of one of those plastic storage bins and cut a small notch on the side facing the sink for the water to drain out or use a yard sale aluminum cookie pan. You can glue a 2 or 3 soda bottle caps to the side away from the sink to help keep water draining into the sink rather than pooling in the pan.

sweet idea folks!

What a great idea- thanks! now I am going to try it out!

Clever. Great idea!

Hand Washing Dishes
Hand Washing Dishes
Organizing KitchenJune 24, 2011
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub, An old claw foot tub outside.
Restoring a Claw Foot Tub
Claw Foot Tub in Bright Bathroom
Cleaning a Claw Foot Tub
Rust stains around tub faucet.
Removing Rust Stains from a Bathtub
Hot Tub
Cleaning a Hot Tub