Cleaning Plastic Bead Curtain

I have the colored plastic beads hanging in a doorway between the kitchen and living room. I am looking for a way to clean them while hanging as they are very old. I used to take them down and put in the bathtub, but they and I both are too old for that now. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already tried spraying them with vinegar with newspapers underneath to catch drips to no avail.

Betty from New York

Well if they are greasy and/or dusty from being near the kitchen steam may clean them. I would try putting an iron on the steam setting and spraying steam on them, before wiping them off. Heat would be the main thing.

I saw someone cleaning a hanging crystal chandler this way: Take a large container like a large mixing bowl, a plastic dish pan or a plastic storage bin, & add water & a TINY bit of Ammonia.... Then have a helper take the Large Bowl of water & have them lift it up to about waist high while you take the beads & put them into the Water/Ammonia mix.... Swish the beads around a bit, then take the water away, & either towel dry or air dry. You may have to clean only one small hanging section at a time.

* The good thing about Ammonia is, it doesn't leave a residue, so you don't really have to rinse the beads off...(unless you want to).. Do NOT buy "Sudsy" Ammonia... Just plain Ammonia.

---> Watch out how much water you put in the Bowl (or other container) because someone will have to lift it up while you swish the beads around & you don't want it to be to heavy to lift safely!

* Only use a TINY bit of Ammonia (less than 1 Tablespoon) for many reasons... including this ammonia/water mix will be right in front of your face! If Ammonia really bothers you, you can use instead use dish soap then rinse, or mister clean, then rinse... But, if you use a cleaner that's to strong, the plastic beads will get slightly "eaten" away & will no longer be shiny & could get a matte finish. This happened when a previous owner cleaned the head lights of my mini-van... I don't know what cleaner they used, but the plastic on the head light covers isn't transparent anymore! (Time to buy new ones!)

---> A second idea would be to place a Dollar Store plastic shower curtain or a large plastic storage tote under the beads then spray with Hydrogen Peroxide...This will "Fizz the dirt off"...then towel or air dry.

* BEWARE of HEAT or Steam as this could melt the plastic!

Try using a step ladder and place a container of water mixed with your favorite cleaning agent on the top and place your beaded strands in it to soak awhile. With a large towel to catch any drips between rinse water change and try a hair dryer while holding strands of beads securely to help dry faster.

Using a stepladder, place a container of water and cleaning agent on the top and put strands of beads in the container allowing to soak clean. Then change container to rinse water and have a large towel placed on floor to absorb drips. With a hair dryer held downward, try holding beaded strands in place to help dry faster. Good luck.

Hi, I clean a lot of things like this with Windex.It HAS to be Windex brand or it doesn't work. I spray my "what nots" with it and the dust and grime just rolls off! I hope this helps, Kathy

This might be a good way to find a younger person who can help with chores. Maybe there's a friend, relative or neighbor who has a son or daughter who can help you out once in a while. Try one out on this chore; see how she or he does. You 'll want your helper to take directions well, be cheerful and trustworthy, and not clumsy.

I have done this for retired neighbors for some years, and we have kept it very informal.

Home and Garden Cleaning AdviceJanuary 9, 2008
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
Making an Easy Bead Pendant
beads
Making Tri-Bead Keychains
Shower Curtain
Repairing a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
Cleaning a Shower Curtain
🎄
🍂