Frugal Dog Bed

My dogs are very destructive and manage to tear blanket, cushions, and conventional dog beds by 'digging' to make themselves more comfortable. They have also destroyed 2 lounges, (sofas/settees), and 3 single mattresses I gave them as beds. I was looking for a sturdy dog bed and was quoted $102 (Australian) for a hammock type bed on a tubular steel frame.

Instead I collected 3 medium, (2' x 3'), wooden pallets, (the type that goods are delivered on to warehouses), from the local rubbish dump. I priced some made to measure foam pads - $40 each! I also found some old carpet pieces at the dump and substituted some foam cushions from the two previously destroyed lounges for the bought foam.

I placed the carpet face down on the ground, placed the foam cushions on top, and then the pallet. I cut the carpet to size with a Stanley knife - the area of the pallet plus the depth of the sides, taking a square from each corner so the carpet could be folded up and tacked to the base of the wooden pallet with no bulk at the corners. Once turned over I had a neat padded bed which, despite much scratching, is unmarked. They are insulated from the cold ground with a layer of air and my old arthritic dog finds them very comfortable. I'm very pleased with them for just the cost of a couple of packets of tacks! Regards.

By Jo Bodey

Your dogs sound like mine. I always put the old 9 X 12 ft. rugs out in their kennel to sleep on and what do they do ...tear them up. I have some larger pallets in my back yard and now I know what I can to get them to stop tearing the rugs up. Got one I am going to swap out in a week or so. Great idea!

Dog on Homemade Pet Bed
Homemade Pet Beds
Pets DogsNovember 22, 2004
Bedspring Santa
Making a Bed Spring Santa
A garden bed made from an old blue bed.
Make a Garden "Bed" Out of an Old Bed Frame
dog sitting in bed
Dog Pees in Owner's Bed
package with a featherbed topper
Using A Featherbed Topper
🎉
🎄