Creating a Family Cookbook

This is a photo for a handmade gift for the bride and groom. I have a niece who is getting married in May this year and I was trying to think of a different and unique gift to give her. I finally decided to make her a recipe book using recipes I had made and gathered over the last 45 years to go along with recipes I had gotten from my mother and grandmother in years past.

I purchased a 1 inch - 3 ring binder and 50 plastic sleeves. I made a decorative cover sheet to put on the front and back of the binder and filled each sleeve with a different recipe. If the recipe only took 1 page, then I could get 2 recipes in each sleeve, but some of the recipes took 2 pages so I would only get 1 recipe in each sleeve. When I was making the recipe sheets I included pictures of the different ingredients that the recipe called for on each page.

I told her I would continue to add recipes to it for her to try over the years. I will probably have to do it in books 2, 3, and 4, etc. since I have a lot of recipes I think she would enjoy trying.

Her fiance loved the cookbook as much as she did and said he is looking forward to trying making some of them, also.

Here are some of the recipes I included in the book:

Source: Kraft, Pillsbury, Betty Crocker, All Recipes, and My Home

By Patricia from Houston, TX

Very good idea, and its for keeps. Thank you.

So many good ideas and suggestions I had not thought of. Thanks everyone for your input. I will give myself more time on books 2, 3 and 4 and will for sure get with other family members for suggestions.

Something I always wanted to do! Loved it!

I started a cookbook for my daughter (for Xmas) lol - don't get me wrong, it's so much fun, but I keep finding recipes that I want to include and Xmas has come and gone and it's not finished. She is 22 and doesn't really know how to cook, so I've included family recipes, lots of her favorites, and many "how to pages."

She also has a dog, so there is a recipe section called "Moka's Corner" with several pages of dog snack recipes. I used PowerPoint to create it so I could add pictures, etc. Now, I'm going to finish the draft of this one and then customize one for my son and stepson!

My questions is, what type of paper do you use? I read somewhere that you can buy coated paper, something that won't stain as bad as regular - but I can't find it anywhere. What has everyone else used?

Creating a Family Cookbook, Scattering of handwritten recipes including the occasional food spots.
Creating a Family Cookbook
Crafts GiftsApril 26, 2010
Handwritten Cookbook
Making a Cookbook
Homemade Recipe Book Holder
Making a Cookbook Holder
Creating a Simple Website for a Business, Website URL on a computer screen.
Creating a Simple Website for a Business
Two kids making fruit kabobs.
Making a Cookbook for Kids