American Bull Dog With Small Children

How can I tell if my American bull dog will get on well with my 7 month old son?

Amy from Craigshill Livingston

I would not trust an "American bull dog" that is just another name for PITBULL and they have proven time after time that they can not be trusted around children.

Editor's Note: American Bulldog and American Staffordshire Terrier (Pitbull) are two different breeds. Here is some information about both breeds

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Bulldog

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

Don't leave the baby alone with the dog. They might get along later on when the baby is past toddler stage. My vet says small children should never be left alone with pit bulls, rottweilers, german shepherds, chows, and a couple of other breeds I can't remember. Most of these breeds are great with kids later on, but not when they are tiny. I have always had german shepherds who were great kid pals always, but I kept them separated when the kids were babies.

Regardless of what breed of dog you have, it is never a good idea to leave a small child alone with them. Small children have no idea that poking fingers in eyes or a mouth, or pulling ears or tails might be an issue for your pet. Small dog or large dog they may not react well.

My husband and I had a 160 lb. Rottweiler that my Grandson loved. I have multiple pictures of the 2 together when my grandson was less than a year old. Ubie loved that child and never tried to hurt him but again we never allowed the two to be alone.

Our Ubie passed away 3 years ago and I still miss him. My Grandson, who is now 4 years old, still remembers his "Guardian Angel".

American Bulldogs (if from a trusted line) are normally good with children; my InLaws helped birth eleven of them, whom are all good dogs, and they still have the mother and #5. THey are generally laidback (bull mastif and english bulldog are very easygoing, family dogs) and as long as the dog is not "threatned" by the presence of the baby (growling, misbehaving for attention, etc) they should generally be okay. Definitely NEVER leave them alone, and teach the child to handle the dog properly, like not "ride" on them or lay on them, even if the dog doesn't bite or seem uncomfortable. Dogs age much faster than our children, so by the time the baby is Four that dog may not like someone leaning on him, and defend himself. My dog has been with our boys since the womb, and my oldest even played fetch with him at 8 months old! They should get along as long as you remind the dog who is alpha, and not let him "dominate" the baby. My dog is protective, but he tried to be alpha once and we had to reprimand him for it. They do see babies as puppies in their pack.

EDIT: the dog will love the baby even more if you let him clean up the baby's place after meals.....

An American Bulldog is not a pitbull. A pitbull is not even a true breed of dog.

patty,, the american bulldog is NOT the same as the pitbull, or 'american pitbull terrier' (apbt). please do not give inaccurate information. research american bulldogs and you will be enlightened.

thanks

what type of american bull dog do you think sky is?shes great with my 5 kids

An American bulldog is not another name for pit bull. You never hear of American bulldogs hurting kids, unlike pits. The only problem with small kids is their size. When they get excited, they can knock over kids ,that's all.

Patty, it is unfortunate that someone who is as obviously uneducated as yourself would post in this forum. Shame on you for mislabeling an American Bulldog as a Pitbull.

For one it doesn't matter what the dog is. It depends on how your dog reacts. I have a bull mastif that loves my son but knocks him down. For the above pit bulls, I would trust more than any other dog, around my son. They are not bred to be aggressive and are one of the most tolerant dogs out there!

I've got two AB's and they are perfect with all kids, not just mine, but NEVER leave a baby or toddler alone with anything that is capable of killing them, regardless of how much you like that thing!!! AB's get excited when something is wrong (like loud crying) along with most other quallity large breed dogs, and will try to fix the problem, which is a serious problem with small kids being knocked over, scratched and trampled, even though the dog is just trying to help.

And patty is an idiot :)

1st id like to say that Patty got it wrong. Pitbulls are a different breed from American Bulldogs, and now thats of my chest I can say that you should not leave your dog alone with small children, as with any breed. because small children don't understand the dogs feelings very much (if at all). So they should be fine so long as they are supervised.

I have 2 AB's both would not hurt a fly unless protecting a member of the family, and it is obvious that patty does not have an AB and does not know anything about the breed.

WOW... thats all I can really say regarding the patty comment. Anyway I have a 4-5 month old American bulldog who is great with my two kids who are 5 and 3 years old. I had pit bulls for a good part of my life and they are great dogs. The only difference between a pit and any other dog is there determination and instinct to not give up. They can do obvious damage to anything that they get a hold of and any other breed barely holds a candle to that type of tenacity.

American bulldogs in my mind are probably one of the best dogs that you can own. I agree with the rest that have quoted that you do not ever want to leave a large dog of any breed around a infant. That is why I waited to get my dog after my son was old enough to have somewhat of a understanding of how to treat a animal.

It is not another name for pitbull, two totally different animals. I have a ab who is great with my 4 yr and 7 yr old, and all the other pets in my house.

The American Bull Dog and the Pit Bull are completely separate breeds. Heck, they're very nearly different animals. The Pit Bull, AKA THE AMERICAN PIT BULL TERRIER or the AMERICAN STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER is just that, a TERRIER. A PIT BULL TERRIER or STAFFORDSHIRE TERRIER is a descendant of the original American Bulldog lines, with enough terrier blood bred into it to qualify it as a terrier.

A purebred AB is a Molosser, similar in temperament to a Mastiff or Boxer. An American Bulldog is not aggressive; the AB had to bred with terriers enough to change its entire breed, to make the PIT BULL TERRIER, which is a fighting dog.

The American Bulldog is NOT a Pit Bull and shares none of the same temperaments. A terrier's genetic programming is to attack and kill small rodents; that's what they do. An American Bulldog is a cattle dog; its instinct is to protect the herd, not to start fights.

AB's get upset when something is not right -- an intruder, or a strange noise -- but they vocalize and investigate, as Mastiffs and Boxers do; they are herd-guarding dogs, not attack dogs. Pit Bulls, having terrier blood, are far more aggressive and prone to attack; as terriers, their job is to eradicate pests.

I have met several Pit Bull Terrier owners who call their dogs "American Bulldogs." I have, twice, run into such an owner while walking my 130-lb. Johnson AB and had the pleasure of showing them the difference. :)

I'm glad to hear so many positive feedback. It makes me feel better about getting a AB.

We have an 2 yr old ab and he is an awesome dog a good loving dog but is very strong and protective! When children are around he is never left alone not cause he can't be trusted but just no dog or breed should be left around young children.

I grew up with a American bull dog that is 9 years old, and a German Shepperd Mix that is 12 years old. Anyway when I was little I used to cry a lot. My dog Copper (my American dog) opened the door and licked me until I stopped. Now that I'm older my Copper and my other dog Shasta (my German Shepperd mix) get older. What ever happens they will be my best friends. Copper is a very loving dog but sadly Copper has hip dysplasia. and Shasta is more loving and very smart.

Pit bull(terrier) American bulldog(mastiff) family. If your dog is aggressive, it's probably in the breeding! Research before you buy!

You need to check a dog's temperament as opposed to focusing on the breed. I have known breeds that you would assume to be great with kids who have turned unpredictable and aggressive. I feel terrible for the pit-bull breed in particular, they are really great dogs! I'm a dog trainer and I find them to be comical, loving, intelligent and very misunderstood because of their bad media (which often times isn't always a pit-bull). You shouldn't stereotype a dog's breed, just as you shouldn't stereotype a human-being by their race. Any dog has the capability to be vicious. Unfortunately, because of the pit's strong, muscular build and intimidating looks, they are more prone to human abuse and neglect which can ignite aggression out of pure survival skills.

I agree there is so many differences between American Bulldogs and American Staffordshire Terriers. Our home would not be the same without our American Bulldog "Buck" he is the life and soul of our family, always there to greet us with so much enthusiasm, it can be overwhelming how much he loves us, as with other AB owner the only danger is, he can knock you off your feet when he greets you, Our son was eight when Buck arrived and he is our sons best companion, they are the best of friends. All responsible dog owners no matter what breed, should be careful when leaving dogs with small children.

Patty you are wrong first of all they are two different breeds of dogs and a loving breed of dog. I have two American bulldogs and three children. I got my first AB when my youngest wast 2. My dog sleeps with her in her bed and my daughter puts hats and scarfs and plays dress up with my dogs all the time. My dogs have never even thought about growling at my kids. They are protective loving family dogs.

I have also had a Pitbull that never barked at all even at other dogs she wouldn't bark she would sit in my drive way and just wag her tail at people walking by. A dogs temperament is all about their owners, If you love your dog they will show you unconditional love.

A boy lying with his orange cat, Tigger.
Keeping Children Safe Around Pets
Pets SafetyJune 25, 2007
Bull Terrier
Bull Terrier Breed Information and Photos
American Pit Bull Terrier
American Pit Bull Terrier Information and Photos
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
American Girl Doll With White Hat, Braids and Sweater
Saving Money on an American Girl Doll
🎉
🎄