High Fiber Recipes

I am looking for high fiber recipes. Thanks.

Pambur from Pennsylvania

Yams and sweet potatoes have a good fibre content! I usually cut them up, boil them and add a little margarine and brown sugar to them and eat! makes a yummy snack or side dish.

Cooked spinach also has fibre, I like to fry it up with an onion, salt and pepper.

I am on a vegan diet so I get a lot of fibre from all the foods I eat, perhaps try looking at some vegan recipes, i always have more than enough in my diet :)

Get some ground flaxseed. Add it to hot cereal, dry cereal, yougurt, in recipes. A serving is 1 or 1 1/2 tbsps, I have read both amounts. Since I have been using it, I have had no problems with my elimination problems.

I use Benefiber in our orange juice; adding it to the water before I add the frozen concentrate. It stirs in and dissolves completely, has no color and no taste. I use 3 Tablespoons in a large can of juice.

Harlean from Arkansas

We also snack on these home made Banana Bars.

Mix together dry ingredients:

* 1/2 cup Chopped Almonds

* 1 cup Oatmeal

* 1 cup Whole Wheat Flour

* 2 teaspoons Cinnamon

* 1/2 teaspoon Ginger

* 1/2 teaspoon Cloves,

* 1 1/2 teaspoons Soda

* 1/4 cup Konsyl

* 1/2 to 1 cup raisins as you like

* 1/2 cup Splenda (optional)

* 1/4 cup Flax Seed (Optional)

Note: Konsyl is a sugar free 100% Psyllium Fiber product available at the pharmacy. This is added because most people do not get enough fiber in their diet.

Mix together liquid ingredients:

* 1 cup Non Fat Buttermilk

* 1 cup Unsweetened Applesauce,

* 1 large mashed banana (1/2 to 3/4 cup)

Stir the liquids into the dry mixture thoroughly, making sure they are all moistened. Spray a 9X13 pan with a non-stick spray, and spread the dough evenly in the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees F. Cool and cut in squares.

To get the health benefits, be sure to use Whole Wheat Flour (preferably Stone Ground), and the Konsyl. Do not substitute or omit these ingredients.

Harlean from Arkansas

Buy whole wheat pasta and have brown rice at all times. Not only is it higher in fiber, but it's much healthier for you and has a low GI index. Find some bulgur wheat and use it instead of rice or cous cous in recipes. Or, add it to your rice or cous cous. It's got a ridiculous amount of fiber and also lots of protein.

Peanut butter is also high in fiber.

If you can find it in your local grocery store, there's a cereal called Fiber One which also has tons of fiber in it.

I know these aren't recipes, but look at this page, it has lots of common foods with their fiber content. A lot of the time you can just make small changes to your current recipes by adding whole wheat or brown counterparts or by adding lentils and beans to really boost the fiber in them:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/high-fiber-foods/NU00582

You also might want to check out Brenda Watson products. She was on PBS promoting FIBER 35.

Hubby and I enjoy salmon or mackerel patties. Once when we ran out of saltine crackers just before payday, we used some bran cereal we had on hand instead of the crackers to make them. They were delicious! I'm guessing you could substitute any bran cereal (such as All-bran) in any recipe that calls for crumbled crackers or corn flakes. You'll add flavor as well as fiber.

I keep several foods on hand to increase my fiber intake--avocados, chick peas, fiber one cereal, Fiber one granola bars, if I'm on the go (they taste great), dried figs and apricots and flax seeds or flax seed bran to add to just about anything and popcorn. Pretty painless and I like all these foods.

October 29, 2008 Flag

I am looking for some high fiber recipes. I need to switch to a high fiber diet. Does anyone have any tips or recipes to share?

Dee from AZ

Answers:

High Fiber Diet

Check out some vegetarian recipes. I have been a ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 13 years and a lot of my protein comes from alternative sources that also happen to be high in fiber. My favorite is Veggie Chili. It's mostly chili beans, Kidney beans and tomatoes. Mexican food is also really good source of fiber. Good luck. (02/27/2007)

By Designersheets

High Fiber Diet

I love Black Beans. It's ridiculous how much fiber is in them. They are high in sodium so I drain and rinse them. I throw them into everything from a salad to taco meat. (02/27/2007)

By Sarah

High Fiber Diet

I had to go on a High Fiber Diet to help me lose weight about 10 years ago. I have menus, grocery lists and recipes to share if you want me to send them to you like in a weekly email. It is also low fat. 8 years ago I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes and this diet along with Weight Watchers helped me lose from 300 lbs to 180 lbs. I have 40 lbs to go. Email: EvelynBill56 AT aol.com (02/27/2007)

By Evelyn H.

High Fibre Diet

Hi Dee
Not sure where AZ is (I'm assuming it is in the USA as you spell 'fibre' differently there), but in Australia, we have access to high-fibre milk and bread. I love these products! Otherwise, I would recommend getting a book from the library or a shop which details fibre contents of foods - legumes and beans are highly recommended, plus powdered fibre such as Metamucil (if you have it wherever you're from) from psyllium seeds to stir into drinks. Good luck with that!

Editor's Note: AZ in the U.S. is Arizona (02/27/2007)

By Cathy

High Fiber Diet

Here's a great way to start the day: mix about 3 Tablespoons oat bran in a large glass of thick juice (I use hot & spicy V-8 but any thick juice will work). Mix well and drink it down! I've done this with wheat bran too, but oat bran is better for you and goes down easier. You'll be amazed after just a few days how good this will make you feel. (03/12/2007)

By Alph

Food and Recipes Recipes Dieting AdviceOctober 29, 2008
Photo of a large high school and its football field.
High School Activities Ideas
Bran Muffins
Increasing Fiber in Your Diet
High Protein Bread Recipes
High Protein Bread Recipes
Low Carb, High Protein and High Fiber
Low Carb, High Protein and High Fiber Recipes
🎉
🎄