Inexpensive Plus Size Prom Dresses

I'm a senior in high school, and prom is in a few months. It's impossible for me to find anything that fits and prom dresses are even worse! The larger the size I go to fit my 44 bust, 36 waist, 45 hips, the more expensive and unattractive the dresses get. Does anybody have any suggestions as to where I can look for a dress that fits and is both inexpensive and attractive?

By Leana from Hamden, CT

If you want to buy one, you might try a bridal store. They are used to ordering dresses and then altering them to fit a variety of sizes. They also sometimes run great sales! I knew several girls who got their prom dresses from bridal stores. However, you would come out a lot cheaper sewing a dress. Maybe you or someone in your family knows how to sew? Even if you don't sew a lot, there are some very nice patterns out there for formals that are pretty simple to make. Good luck!

A similar post was asked 2 weeks or so ago and numerous replies were made to it. Try putting in the key word "prom dress" and search for that post here on thrifty.

If you typed in only "prom dress" you would have had to search through 230 posted questions :-o LOL! So I narrowed it down to "Plus Size Prom Dress" and there was just one and it was the question from a few days ago ;-) Here's the link:

I'm a plus size myself and understand your problem. I have given some dresses away on

I have purchased many one-time dresses at upscale thrift stores. I do a search online for thrift stores in the more expensive towns near me and call to see if they carry plus size dresses (not all shops carry them). Don't think it's gross, upscale shops require all items be dry cleaned before they accept them.

Avenue, Catherine's, and Jessica London are good websites/stores; offers links to many plus size online stores carrying all kinds of clothes. Bridal Sample Sales can be a great place as well. I bought my plus-size wedding gown at one for under $400. A suitable prom dress would run a lot less! Bring mom or a good friend to help you.

Although I was not in search of a plus size, I was looking for a long gown for my daughter whom wanted a full length dress on her 6 foot four frame with 4 inch heels. I found an awesome handmade place on ebay. They are out of England and hand make each dress. With shipping we paid 79.00. You need to order quickly though, it does take 4-6 weeks to get the dress made and sent. Go to ebay, type in prom dresses, and then narrow search to plus sizes and you will find it quickly. Good Luck. Princess, I can promise you that no one will remember what you wore to your prom, but your actions will be remembered forever! Kick up your heels and make some great memories!

Here in SD, David's bridal is always advertising a $99.00 sale. We also have a store in our major mall that is called the Deb Shop(the spelling might be a little different, try gooling it different ways. You can also order online and their clothes are geared more towards really young women and teen agers. They have formals for a quite reasonable price and a good selection.

Consumer Advice Product FinderMarch 24, 2009
Closet full of prom dresses.
Planning a Prom Dress Re-Sale Event
Three girls wearing prom dresses.
Saving Money on Prom Dresses
Bride wearing her wedding dress.
Why Do We Keep Our Wedding Dresses?
Couple Going to Prom
Saying Yes to a Prom Invitation