Small Kitchen AppliancesAppliances

Air Bubbles in Coffee Maker

I own a Braun electric drip coffee maker that has a glass/plastic (?) side indicator that lets me know the amount of water I've put into the machine. Often air bubbles appear which interfere with the correct measurements. How do I get rid of these bubbles? I've tried flicking the glass (much the way a nurse gets rid of bubbles in a syringe), but this does not help.

Any suggestions?

By Sylvia from Great Neck, NY

It is possible that what you are seeing is what is called a Meniscus Curve. This can also be seen when measuring water in a measuring cup. It is a scientific phenomenon that means you have to bring the cup up level with your eyes to see the real measurement as a curve is seen in the level of the water.

I realize you cannot do this with a coffee maker, but know that your true measurement is almost surely at the bottom of the "bubble". Perhaps the speed you add the water may also be making actual bubbles too. What I did with mine was take a fabric marker in a bright color and mark the level on the outside of the gauge when it contained no water. I find this helps with my problem of not being able to see how much water I have added due impairment of vision.