Homemade Fruit Mincemeat

For anyone interested in making Mince Pies this Christmas, I am sure you have been shocked at the price of store bought mincemeat. In my area it is around $8.00 for a l lb jar. I found the following great all fruit recipe on the internet:

• 4 cups chopped apples (I used Granny Smith)
  • 2 cups chopped raisins
  • l cup snipped dried apricots
  • l 6 oz. can frozen apple juice concentrate (thawed)
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp. Allspice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 2 Tbsp. Rum or Brandy (or fruit juice)

In a large saucepan stir together the first eight ingredients. Bring to boiling, reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 50 minutes, stirring occasionally. Uncover and simmer for 10 to 15 minutes more or till liquid has nearly evaporated, stirring occasionally. Stir in the brandy or fruit juice. Cool. Store in covered containers in the refrigerator. (I also added a tablespoon of butter)

The recipe said it made 8 cups. I would say mine made 2 l/2 - 3 lbs. Merry Christmas!

Source - CDKitchen.com

By Joan from Chesterfield

Sounds yummy!

I made mine this year with green tomatoes! I googled : green tomato mincemeat" and found loads of recipes to choose from. I am baking tomorrow so will finally find out how good it is!

Food and Recipes Recipes Holidays Christmas TraditionsDecember 15, 2008
Closeup of Gray Squirrel
Keeping Squirrels Out of Fruit Trees
cherry cobbler
Fruit Cobbler Recipes
Small stack of nectarines against white background.
Peeling Nectarines
Homemade Jelly
Making Homemade Jelly