Cleaning Pet Hair From Furniture and Floors

How do I remove pet hair from a leather sofa?

By Debi from Pensacola, FL

We have a golden retriever and when his hair is long, he sheds terribly! We started shaving him, (not super short, but quite short, about 1/2") and it helps tremendously! Plus he stays a lot cooler. We also have 2 cats, which I also shave down. There are wire brushes that I have found at the dollar store that are great for removing hair from the furniture. Also brushing animals regularly helps alot. I hope this helps!

Rubber finger broom is the best way to describe. A picture is on fly lady which u can join if you like. It is in a kit or singular. This rubber finger tool is in some hardware stores as well. Awesome--fabulous. Rows of these rubber fingers in a hand tool or the broom. Even a toilet brush. Fly lady is a good site for getting a clean house by baby steps. Chores become habits. She never talks down dogs or cats. This tool has a dozen uses from cleaning windows, hair collection, dry floor sweep, scrub carpet, ceiling cob

I understand the clean up of dog hair was your question but you might want to make sure that the amount of shedding is normal. Something else may be going on. Healthy dogs do not shed all year long. I have a lab and we have had major problems with her shedding.

We took her to the vet and ask about the issue on a routine visit. The vet stated she could be allergic to her dog food. She suggested trying a food that had Chicken as the first thing on the ingredient list and to stay away from brands that have Beef, wheat,corn and other fillers as the primary ingredient. We changed her food and wow what a difference it made, coupled with weekly brushing I took a major problem for me and my dog and fixed it. We started with Rachael Ray's Nutrish it took a couple of weeks but wow what a difference.

Rather than trying to stop your pets from shedding, which is a natural and usually unavoidable process, we should answer the question of how to clean pet hairs from furniture easily and without unnecessary work or extra expense. I have found a useful attachment called a Seat Hog, bought online from Stirt Systems, for my vacuum cleaner which, when used during my normal vacuum cleaning regime, picks up pet hairs without the need to pre-prepare my furniture with a damp cloth/sponge/rubber brush/sticky lint roller/sticky tape/pet hair brush/wire brush etc. Thus you don't have to clean your furniture twice or get your furniture wet or risk snagging the material on a wire brush to remove pet hairs.

Good luck and good cleaning.

Cleaning Up Pet Hair
Cleaning Up Pet Hair
Pets AdviceNovember 20, 2010
Red Chair on Hardwood Floor
Keeping Furniture from Sliding on Hardwood Floors
Someone mopping hardwood floors
Cleaning Hardwood Floors
Boxer on White Microfiber Couch
Removing Pet Hair from Microfiber
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
🎄